Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM 2K Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM 2K
ICOM 2K Reviews: 39 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,300 (used)
Description: Icom 2 KL HF Amp 10-160/ AT500 Tunner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index2.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM 2K.

ZS6RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2010 11:06 Send this review to a friend
An absolute gem of a linear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews here, I've been searching for one of these for over a year down here in South Africa. You think they're hard to find in the States - try Africa!

One finally came up for sale along with the AT500 automatic tuner. I drove 2 400 kilometers in two days to secure this item! I've been using it for a week now with the IC-7600 (old meets new) and I already understand the reason for the glowing reports. Small footprint, flawless fully automatic operation, high level of amplifier protection and simple antenna port changing in the tuner to meet your specific antenna line requirements. Tough enough to run all day every day. Bring it back, Icom!

73 Roger, ZS6RJ

PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 11:09 Send this review to a friend
New review after 2 contests  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Still doing really fine.
Worked in at least 3 big contests (CQWW/SAC/OCEANIA, etc etc) and no problems.
Now i discovered a mod to work automatically w/ IC7000 (just bridge a stuff). Didn´t try yet.
At least 500w in 10m
And more than 650w in 40m. After that numbers the Amp goes off for protection.
Hope you find one.
PY2ADR / ZY2C

MW0EDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2009 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ! Best in the world  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many amplifiers, the recent one being Icom PW-1.

I switched to IC-2KL with Auto Tuner and a Power Supply as I only needed 500 W.

Output slightly varies on the bands, guaranteed maximum is about 650 W in my case, less on 10 m (at least 450 W).

Excellent item, smooth operation, no issues !

BELIEVE WHAT OTHERS SAY.

Buy it if you can, you will NOT regret.

73 !

PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2009 06:07 Send this review to a friend
ANOTHER 5 !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using it with my IC-7000. Just amazing. With only 30-35w it gives me 600w.
But not recommended (by Icom) the mod on 7000 to work automatically with this amp.
You have only to switch the band and push.
Tubes never more. I own a FL2000b and already sold it.
Worth the price for shure.

K7XOR Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2009 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Why did they stop making this amp?  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp and tuner works flawlessly with my 756-ProII setup. Auto-band switching, auto-tuning and 500 true watts of power from 120v. Nobody I work has a problem hearing me when I have this unit turned on. The fan can cause a little noise when you are running it hard, but with headphones on it won't bother you.

This amp and tuner plugs directly into most Icom full size rigs with a simple cable that daisy chains between the radio, tuner and amp. This will allow it to control band switching and ALC for full circuit protection. It is a no-brainer to setup and since it auto-tunes when you switch bands it is ready to go in seconds with no need to fumble around with a bunch of knobs.

For the life of me I don't know why Icom stopped producing this amp (or at least a newer amp in this 500W range). This amp and tuner is a great piece of equipment. If I can hear the station I can work them with this amp. I've not found a reason yet to go with any higher power with this setup.

Icom I hope you read these reviews and bring back an amp/tuner combo in this power range. The IC-2KL and AT-500 combo is just fantastic.

6Y5TR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2009 15:51 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD 500 WATTS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
THIS IS A GREAT AMPLIFIER A SOLID PERFORMER IT WILL DO 500 WATTS ALL DAY LONG, ALWAYS CONNECT THE ALC LINE WHEN OPPERATING AS THIS WILL ENABLE THE PROCTION OF THE AMPLIFIER. I USED IT WITH A ICOM 775DX2 AND A YAESU FT 2000 WITH VERY GOOD RESULT. MY IC 2KL WILL DO 500 WATTS WITH 40 WATTS OF DRIVE ON ALL BAND MESURED WITH A BIRD 43, I NEVER DRIVE IT ABOVE 500 WATT. ICOM SHOULD START MAKING THESE AMPLIFIER AGAIN . 6Y5TR

I2BGQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 02:23 Send this review to a friend
A real work horse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have got one on the used market with the AT500 autotuner. It's the complementary tool for my Icom Pro III in dxing, a real plus in my shak.
I am very satisfied with my IC2KL in particular when I use it with my new SteppIR 3 elements antenna. I guess they will work together for many yars. So long.

W9JH Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2008 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Still a Great Amp – Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a 2KL back in the 80’s shortly after they came out and regretfully sold it and the matching AT-500 about 10 years later. I now have another 2KL and it works great! Basically hands-free operation since it follows the Icom transceiver from band-to-band while easily providing 500-600 watts at reduced drive levels. I run mine off 120V with no problem.

I would rather run this power level vs. going to a full 1KW amp for only 3db gain and the additional cost and hassles involved regarding the need for 220V and potential TVI complaints. JMHO

If you want a smooth operating setup you won’t be disappointed with a 2KL & AT-500 combo. Or if you have resonant antennas just the 2KL will do the trick.

Jack
W9JH

KC4EO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2008 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much thought about purchasing an amplifier for my Icom IC-746PRO, I decided to get something that would auto change and not have to be tuned for easy band switching. I found a like new IC-2KL amplifier and AT-500 tuner that had just been gone though by Burghardt Radio. I wanted something that was 120 volt supply and produce at least 500 watts of output, so this seemed to be the answer. The amp puts out about 550 watts with 70 watts drive on the radio. I have been very pleased with this equipment and would highly recommend this setup. If you have an IC-2KL, check out W2ENY website for cables that are no longer available and will make your connections to ICOM radios very simple

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2007 21:24 Send this review to a friend
SLICK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
picked the 2 kl and the at 500 real slick operation between the two SILENT operation push a button on the pro 2 a couple of blinks of the eyes and your set to go i hear these pieces are indestrutible and i bet u they are