Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM 2K Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM 2K
ICOM 2K Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,300 (used)
Description: Icom 2 KL HF Amp 10-160/ AT500 Tunner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index2.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM 2K.

W7KPQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2003 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Great no tune amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom 2KL solid state no tune amplifier along with the Icom AT 500 automatic antenna tuner is a great combination. These units will automatically change bands when using an Icom exciter which makes them a dream to use. The 2KL easily puts out 500+ watts which is more than enough for most situations. I highly recommend the 2KL and AT 500 to anyone who wants a straight forward amp and tuner that rocks even though these units haven't been on the market for some time. Icom would do will by bringing back an amp like the 2KL!

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2002 20:55 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I now have a complete ICOM HF Station. IC765/IC2KL and the ICAT500. QUICK, EASY, PERFECT.
The amp works just fine and it is a real pleasure to be able to get 500 watts out at the filck of a switch. No more tuning or waiting when changing bands. Just change bands on the 765 and every thing happens automatically. No problems with it, but I do find that if I'm long winded, the fan does come on and it is noisy.
Have used the amp with other HF equipment, and while the automatic band changing features don't work of course, the amp does. It dosen't care what brand of radio is driving it.
It's not the ulimate amp of course, but when chasing DX, the ability to change bands within seconds can really give you an advantage.

W6DE Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2002 02:44 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-2K and AT-500 pair worked very well with my ICOM-751A. I had two amplifiers the IC-2K and a Henry 3K-A. I ended up using the Henry only on 40M as it was so easy to use the ICOM set up. Just punch the power switches and you were ready to run. I had four different antenas and the AT-500 could switch between them, although, I ended up using a manual switch on the antenas so I could switch between the Henry and The IC-2K.

On 160M, 80M and 40M I felt the 500 Watts wasn't enough for contesting. And, the Henry didn't cover 160. So, I sold both amps and got an Alpha 76PA. I quickly regretted not having the instant on of the IC-2K and near instant on of the 3-500Z tubes in the Henry. With the Alpha's minute warm up, I don't automatically turn the amp on when I come into the shack to listen to the bands. Which means more no amplifier QSOs and longer times in the pile-ups. I suppose my neighbors thank me for that. You tend to use the amplifier more when it is instant on.

The IC-2K comes in two parts, the power supply and the amplifier. The amplifier has thermostatically controlled fans and they are LOUD. The first time it came on it startled me and I thought something was wrong--nope, just noisy. The fans would only come on when in heavy use--like contesting or long rag chewing. I ended up getting a modest sized equipment rack fan and placed it on top of the amp unit sucking the air out. I placed a variac on the fan to slow it down and keep it even quieter. This worked very well and the built-in fan never came on even in a 1,000 QSO CQWW SSB contest.

The IC-2KL has sealed frame relays for T/R switching. They wouldn't switch fast enough for QSK CW--although I tried. That was another reason I used to justify selling the amp. Turned out to be a wrong reason, I wish I still had the amp and tuner pair.

As a result of the quick power on and ready to run experience with the IC-2KL, I'd consider buying the newer ICOM solid state amplifier the IC-4KL--even at its high price.

Dave, w6de

K5VOA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2001 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Good value, solid performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up an IC-2KL on ebay and have really enjoyed it. The 10 meter mod kit is still available at Icom and is simple to install. Word of caution - I had a bad capacitor in the mod kit, evidenced by the overheating of a circuit trace during transmissions. Easy to identify and replace. The many built-in protections make it hard to hurt this amp. I considered an Ameritron ALS-600 when shopping for a solid-state amp, but a look at the insides of that amp compared to the used Icom IC-2KL made the decision easy. The 2KL is built with precision and typical Icom fit and finish. The interface with my 756 Pro is automatic and hands-free. A big selling point with me is always fan-noise. The 2KL fan has yet to run during SSB transmission. The heat-tube radiator keeps the amp very cool only rarely needing the fan to kick-in. Other amps need constant fan blowing. I know the finals are expensive, but I don't expect to ever replace them, this amp is so well protected. Keep in mind that for full power out, the 2KL likes to see a very low SWR. I use a manual tuner. Used prices for an excellent condition 2KL are often lower than new, less quality construction solid-state amps.

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2001 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Pruf Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Icoms 2 Kl Amp when Teamed up with their matching AT - 500 Auto Tuner this unbeatable combo ,will work with most Icom Rigs with ACC jack via molex Most have the 10 meter upgrade also you must have the factory power supply ,Unit has cooling fan runs very little unless your very long winded,500 watts max on side band. I have been using this unit for 4 months its always have been enough power have alway gotten great signal reports! Compared to my L4 Drake a very compact amp that I belive under priced on the used market I payed 1000 for the amp with power supply and 325, AT-500 matching Tuner, I have seen them sell as low as 800. and as high as 1500 for one with all the boxes and like new ( used cond ). Very simple use flip it on and talk you can control output from Transciver . Service History on these amps our excellent they never Brake! If you find one buy it! They our a great bargain ! Phil KG4LRU

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2000 03:44 Send this review to a friend
The Icom IC-2KL - a real little workhorse.  Time owned: unknown months
I purchased an Icom IC-2KL amplifier and AT-500 autotuner in mid-1989, and ran it for ten years with various Icom transceivers. The amplifier-tuner combination operated flawlessly, and never gave a bit of trouble. Automatic band selection and tuning, synchronised to the transceiver, made rapid band and frequency changes very easy.

The IC-2KL delivered 500W on all bands with a 120V mains supply, and the power gain ranged from approx. 12 dB on 80m to 8.5 dB on 10m. Typical drive power for 500W output was 50 to 60W. IP3 was better than -30 dB relative to peak 2-tone on all bands. Slightly better linearity could probably be achieved with 220V mains.

The only concern I would have is the high price of the 2SC2652 bipolar power transistors; they are discontinued, and a matched pair costs $175. (The IC-2KL uses two matched pairs.) However, the Motorola MRF448 is an acceptable replacement device, and is less expensive.

Notwithstanding all of this, I would not be overly concerned about the longevity of the devices. They are rated at 200W output each with Vcc = 40V , and the IC-2KL provides excellent protection. If the amplifier is driven to 500W max. output, with ALC, the transistors will not normally fail. The ALC line must always be connected, to ensure proper operation of the protection circuits.

International and European versions come equipped for all bands 160 - 10m, including the WARC bands. US versions require a modification to activate 10/12m (Icom sells a mod kit for about $50).

A used IC-2KL/AT-500 pair trades at $1200 to $1300 in the used market. If you can find one in clean, working condition in this price range, go for it!

SM5USK Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2000 17:55 Send this review to a friend
What is your opinion?  Time owned: unknown months
Just want to know if this amp.is good? Please write your opinion!

SM5USK Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2000 17:55 Send this review to a friend
What is your opinion?  Time owned: unknown months
Just want to know if this amp.is good? Please write your opinion!