Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-77A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-77A
Kenwood TH-77A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $USED : $150
Description: 2m/440 Dual Band HT
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-77A.

KC2CT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Just keeps going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the TH-77A since new in 1994. I have the drop-in charger, numerous battery packs, VOX headset, speaker mic, and both soft cases for the radio.

I don't use it that often but when I do need portable ops, this is the handheld that I grab. I get good audio reports all the time with it both simplex and via repeaters.

I did the all-band TX/RX mod and it is always interesting as to what one hears on commercial frequencies.

I think that it must be time to replace the lithium battery. 6+ years is a lot to ask but as long as the radio keeps going it was a fine investment.

Easy to operate. A forerunner of features that most handhelds offer as standard today. A bit big and heavy by today's standards for H/T's but it is definitely a keeper.

Jan - KC2CT / VK2ILO

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 06:32 Send this review to a friend
GREAT GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best that I ever had.
Excelent receiver and nice satellite full duplex operation.

VE3MPH Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2008 11:56 Send this review to a friend
A great 2/440 radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for less then a week.
I bought it at Dayton 2008 for $35.00 and it came with the manual and alot of paper work for mods for the radio.
I had to buy 2 things for the radio. 1 was a charger the other was a new battery.
I found a drop in rapid charger for $5.00 and the battery cost me $30.00.
So all in all I spent $70.00 and got a good radio.
Now here is something to laugh about. When I was in Dayton I happend to see another TH-77A for sale and the guy was asking $100.00 for it and there was no out put on the 440 side. I asked him how low he would go for it he said he would not go less than $75.00. It was in bad shape where mine looks new.
Now for the bad things that I can see with the radio.
1) It is to big for my liking and would like something smaller like a IC-T7H.
2) It is to heavy to lug around with you all the time on your side.
3) I have noticed that there is always a birdie on my radio it don't matter if it is on 2m or 440 but this could be from my computer.
As for that it is a nice radio and works fine and would not change my rating on it.
It still gets a 5 from me

KB6NDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 02:55 Send this review to a friend
A Great Dualbander from the Past  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this radio up from a ham radio/computer parts swap meet. It was well taken care from the previous owner who past away. I didn't know that much about the radio but found out it had the same features as my TH-F6A so to speak. The radio came with extra batteries and the charger. After charging the battery pack and uploading the manual from Kenwood, it came to life with no problems. I program some of my favorite repeater sites and received good reports on my signal from other hams on the frequency. When I told them I was talking on a TH-77A, they couldn't believe it. I was lucky the radio came with the CTCSS board installed. It's a good looking radio and fits well in my hand, unlike the radios of today which seems to get smaller and smaller. Some of the accessories from my TH-F6A will fit the TH-77A(speaker mike,headset etc)which is a plus in my book. What I also like, beside the displayed dual frequencies, it has dual volume and squelch controls, it's truly two radios in one. This radio is like the great grandfather of my F6A and a great dualbander from the past. I'm very happy with it.

KC2PTA Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2008 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought one about 2 years ago, i found out it DID have the ctcss board installed, and it works wonders out in the feild. I would recoment this rig for any one who wants a ht for work, or play.

G1LOE Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2006 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Cheap reliable handie  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up one of these on ebay, and it didn't have ctcss, so i was unable to access any of the local repeaters, (they all need sub audible to open) apart from that it was a good reliable set to use, tinny sound from speaker as the previous reviewer stated, but still easy to listen too, useful as a single bander or true dual band set, if you can get one cheaply it's not a bad set for carrying around. i'd have another if the chance came along.

N1RIK Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2006 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Cheap dualbander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very cheap inexpensive used HT. Very basic features. Does have crossband repeat function. However I would prefer a Alinco DJ-580 over this radio. This radio aparently was modded out to do cellular rx, and aircraft rx, and 136-174MHz tx & 400-512 MHz tx also. The audio on the speaker has a tinny sound to it. But all in all was ok for $103 on ebay. For the cost used, it's ok. Features full duplex and dual-watch features. The way it tunes through the memories is cumbersome. You can't run through all memories at once, you have to select the VHF side for the VHF memories, and likewise for UHF. I guess it was an outstanding radio back in 1991. It works fine though.