Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil BM-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil BM-10
Heil BM-10 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.00
Description: Headset/boom mike
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/BM10.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil BM-10.

DAVER Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Good for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Audio out using the newer IC version seams to be great. I think response is flat (in good way!) with some higher end boost perhaps. Seams to get me through better than the stock mic for whatever that counts for.

On receive these are really good. I very much enjoy these on every mode!

I prefer this style headphones over closed ones because it lets out a little high end sound and allows me to not completely tune out the outside world if needed. Can pop one side off ear for example without discomfort.

They are very light and comfortable!

The PTT button works great as well. I'm afraid of it being a point of failure down the road, but we'll see. Of course you can use whatever PTT method you want, but it's good to have the backup button right on the chord for when you're traveling light for example. I pretty much use it all the time though (why not, it's there).

If I'm ever using a speaker for some weird reason I drop the phones down on my neck and adjust the mic arm and it works perfect. Good for sitting back in the chair relaxing.

Wouldn't want to rough these up to much though. These are not made to withstand crazy abuse. They are my primary ssb tool for when traveling or at home.

Dave / KD2AKC

KD7CAO Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2010 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying out several different headsets, I ended up getting the Heil BM-10. I call it a traveler, for me it works much better than their other Traveler types. This unit is lightweight, easy to use, and simple to repair if something goes wrong. I was a little surprised to see zip ties holding the wire on top, but hey if it works for cheaper then go for it.

Incredibly good sound out of my IC-718 and with the foot switch it makes a perfect combination. Even running a switch so I can monitor my Dual-Bander in one ear and HF in the other. Great unit!

DL9RDM Rating: 1/5 Aug 22, 2009 14:02 Send this review to a friend
ugly construction 3/10  Time owned: more than 12 months
mechanically bad
is not worth the money
sound is o.k

I will make my Reatings in the category XX/10 now

KE7FPM Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2008 16:56 Send this review to a friend
modular plug needs to be redisigned for yaesu 897  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the bm 10 headset for my yaesu 897 about 4 months ago and the modular plug on the adaptor chord is so sloppy already it wont key the radio anymore..I called Heil to see if they had a solution, and the lady said maybe I could stick a piece of shrink tube in to tighten it up. (I guess I was expecting a more intellegent solution from a company like Heil,but they obviously dont have one at all..) I really did like the headset itself, but if it wont stay plugged into my radio, what good is it? This adaptor chord costed about $35.00,but if I had my money back I would just buy one of Yaesus chords and make my own.

K1JAN Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2005 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I realize everyone has an opinion (and at least one other thing) but I have had my BM-10 for 20+ years, and have literally worn out several radios, with it still going fine. I have never had a bad report with my HC-4. And that's through a lot of talking! I have replaced the foam (radio shack has some that fit great!) about a hundred times.
Don't know about the new ones, but my original goes in my will! (IF I decide I like anyone that well!)
Paul Andreasen, K1JAN
ARRL Technical Advisor, Southwestern Division

N3JBH Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2005 05:11 Send this review to a friend
heil bm-10-4  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My personal impression of my BM-10-4 headset is wonderful sound speakers in the headset. But the microphone section seems kind of to heavy for the headset. As it seems
To pull the headset off your head. ((And trust be I have big head)) so spring tension should be tight.

As far a microphone sounds well the 4 element is somewhat higher pitched but not unpleasant. I give the headset 4 out of 5

N4SRT Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2004 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Lots o' bang for the buck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I never really liked the look of the Heil BM-10 headset, and for years -- despite wanting and needing to have hands-free operation at times -- I resisted buying one. Finally, I picked up a used headset on eBay, figuring I could sell it once I tried it.

After using it in contests since last fall, I can say that this is an excellent headset. It won't block out room noise very well, but that's not a problem at my QTH. In fact, since I have young children in the house, it's actually good to be able to hear some of what's going on elsewhere in the house. The headset isn't indestructible, but given reasonable care you'll get many, many QSOs out of it.

I bought a Heil Proset sometime after buying the BM-10, but frankly I prefer the BM-10 because of its lighter weight. The earphone audio quality is still quite good, and the mic provides plenty of drive for either my Kenwood or Yaesu rigs.

WA0TTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2004 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Almost forgot...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of my concerns was the earphone quality. Bob Heil assured me that even though the earpiece is an open foam-cushoned system, the audio would be very good. I've bought so many cheap headphones with foam cushons that were tinny and made my ears hurt, that I was concerned about this.

I have to add to my previous review that I am very pleased with the audio quality. Although it's not the same as a full muff, I don't like wearing muffs. This is the best non-muff earpiece, and integrated with a boom microphone, I've ever used.

WA0TTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2004 02:41 Send this review to a friend
I like it so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had a really great experience with a Heil product (see my review of the HS-706) that I bought a BM-5-5 headset. I hate the full earmuffs, like the Pro's, and like the lightweight headsets. In talking with Bob Heil himself, he recommended the BM-5-5.

I received mine just last night so I've had only two days of use. But I love it so far! The first evening I used it I worked four stations, three of which were using Heil-5 elements. We had a great time comparing our (most excellent) audio. This evening (my second night) I've been working DX with excellent audio reports on every QSO.

I realize that two days is not worth a high vote on this product, so I'll probably have more to say after I've used it for a while. I do have concerns about the durability of the foam earpiece and the lightweight construction. But the reason I wanted this headset was because of the lightweight. And from my past experience, I believe that Bob Heil has great integrity in backing up his products should customers have problems under normal use.

W7CO Rating: 2/5 May 22, 2003 19:07 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my new BM-5-5 (single ear piece) headset. When I tried to use the unit I got poor drive on the FT920 ALC. Spoke with the dealer and they shipped me another unit. Had same problem until I started wiggling the connections. Finally got it to work part-time. My dealer spoke with Heil and they admitted that the connector (AD-1Y) had some problems. End result is that the dealer is taking all of my unit back and sending it as well as their defective AD-Y's back to Heil. Ihe getting the desk mic instead. A lot of money for junk.