Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil BM-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil BM-10
Heil BM-10 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.00
Description: Headset/boom mike
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/BM10.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil BM-10.

N3ZKP Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2003 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A BM-10 was my requested Christmas present last year (2001) and I am not sorry. I use it with an Alinco DX-70TH as my portable/travel/drag-along rig. It folds up nicely to fit in the case with the radio, tuner and power supply.

While I prefer my big Pro-Set, the BM-10 is ideal for my travels. It may well be one of the best bargains around. Thanks, Bob, for bringing it back!

W2PA Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2003 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Great product, responsive company  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, here's my Heil story...
I've been using the BM-10-5 for the past two years or so without a problem. The microphone is excellent with my FT-1000D. The headset is quite comfortable - I didn't want one that covered my ears so for me, this one is ideal.
This past month the boom attachment came loose and could not be tightened. I couldn't figure out how to take it apart to see if something inside needed tightening. Before sending it in for service, I figured I'd try to contact Heil directly first. I sent an email off to the company's "info" email address (the one listed on their web site) asking about it, hoping it was something simple that I could do myself.
That same day I was surprised to receive an email back from Bob Heil saying it was a simple fix. He explained how to remove the earphone using a small screwdriver to release the plastic catches that held it in place. It was then a simple matter of tightening the internal screw.
What a great experience. I'll probably never buy a microphone from another company.

N2ERN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2002 19:14 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say! This is absolutely the greatest. Lightweight with foam pads, you don't even realize you're wearing it.

Mine turned into a basket case, and Heil "rebuilt" it for a song!

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2001 08:27 Send this review to a friend
classic quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
On most rigs, the BM-10 will provide an audio improvement. Some radios respond predictably to microphones and some don't, in my experience. Neither of my BM-10s (one with a HC4, the other with a HC5) sounded good on my ICOM rigs, but both perform as expected on the Kenwoods I've had. Heil's mistake is claiming that the elements will perform similarly across-the-board, because they perform somewhat differently on different rigs. In my case, I am very satisfied with the receive audio and transmit audio on my Kenwood. The BM-10, although not really heavy-duty, holds up well. And what's this trent toward all this bass response nowadays? Give me clear, crisp INTELLIGIBILITY!

ZC4BS Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2001 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Old but gold !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of the original BM10's from an outlet in England, I have made approximately 100,000 (yes one hundred thousand) QSO's using this microphone and it has performed flawlessly.

The only changes I have made to it is to remove the Kenwood jack and replace it with a Yaesu after changing a TS940 to an MP Mark 5.

Maybe one day I will move up to the later version - but for the moment everything is super.

Steve B ZC4BS (also G4KIV/ZD8SB/N5ZFR)

N2JF Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2001 01:58 Send this review to a friend
forget it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the BM-10i at Dayton will a promise from Bob Heil Himself that it would markedly improve my Icom 746. Despite Heil's instructions that I had adjusted the compression improperly (he says it works backwards), it still doesn't drive the transmitter nearly as well as my sm-8 desk mic. A/B on air tests revealed nice audio reports..but better reports with the desk mic I'd owned for years. It's OK for handsfree use (It doesnot have a PTT switch built in line, you have to add one or use vox) but don't expect it to work miracles the way Heil claims

K3AN Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2001 22:25 Send this review to a friend
It's Baaaack!  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my earlier review. I just saw in April 2001 QST that Heil is bringing the BM-10 back. This is a great, lightweight, comfortable headset. You can wear it for hours.

As previously pointed out, it doesn't block out ambient noise very much. But that's not always a bad thing.

I hope Heil uses cables with better shielding than in the original BM-10. I had problems using the BM-10 with my TS-850 and had to change out the mic cable to RG-174.

AB5XZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2000 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Great mic, light weight, good for hours of contest  Time owned: unknown months
I have had a BM-10 for about 6 years, and I love it. My shack is in a room by itself, so I don't have trouble with outside noise sources. I used some very small wire-ties to snub the coiled headphone cable and the straight mic cable together. Eventually the foam earpiece covers rotted away, and Heil took my order by phone and delivered quickly. Original foam was blue (red or blue designates the element), but I opted for the red ones, perhaps because they look sportier.
My next headset will be from Heil, for sure!

N2MG Rating: 3/5 Nov 1, 1999 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Great mike, bad cans.  Time owned: unknown months
The BM-10 boom-mike/headset was once possibly the contester's top choice in boommike-headsets. The microphone element is one of the best there are for radio work. The BM-10 is very lightweight, but uses small, foam covered earpieces that do little to block room noise. The BM-10 seems to not be offered by Heil any longer. Many hams make an "improvement" by removing the boommike part of the BM-10 and attaching it to a stereo (Sony, etc.) headset.