Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-2055 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-2055
Radio Shack PRO-2055 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $199.99
Description: 1000-Channel Triple-Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner
# Skywarn: hear storm reports from spotters near your location minutes before they are broadcast
# Alphanumeric display can display ID code or service name
# Backlit display and keypad
# Clones with the popular PRO-97 handheld scanner--download information on the handheld to the desktop
# CTCSS/DCS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System/Digital Coded Squelch)
# 1 priority channel
# Covers most popular 800MHz triple-trunking police/fire/emergency systems in most metropolitan areas
# Motorola, LTR, EDACS (GE/Ericsson) capability

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-2055.

KC2FYA Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2014 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Great after 8 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I luckily did not have the LCD display issues others are referring to. Even though this is an obsolete unit, still use for local EDACS and analog frequencies. Covers all VHF/UHF Ham Bands including 900MHz and 1.2Ghz. Triple conversion works well.

N7HO Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2009 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Overall I'm happy with it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yeah I had the display problem too, 1st one failed and was exchanged at RS, second one failed just after 90 days. Decided to take a look inside, saw the ribbon cable to the display, unplugged it, put some contact cleaner on the cable, plugged it back in and it's worked just fine ever since. (Over 2 years.)
Aside from that, the scanner does everything I want it to and receives well. (In a rural community)
Overall, I'm quite happy with it and I would buy another one if I saw a good deal on one.

KE7CRZ Rating: 0/5 Apr 14, 2008 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Junk!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this scanner to receive local and State radio for ECOM needs.
First, the readout went out and the dealer was kind enough to replace it for me.
The replacement scanner had the readout fail and was sent to service in Utah for repair.
Even though Radio Shack has known of the readout problems and it was still at the time under warranty, the service center tried to bill me for repairs.
I have been a Radio Shack customer since 1973 but can see no point in doing business with them in the future due to this junk product.
That got straightned out by the factory rep.
About a month ago the squelch control went out and it was running full squelch all the time.
Last week it stopped receiving all together.
I recently noticed on the Radio Shack web site that they have the same 2055 scanner with a different model number.
This scanner has been a problem since it was marketed and Radio Shack has failed to acknowledge the problem and the customer suffers.
Why would they not acknowledge a problem like this and do what is needed to help the customer?
I will never buy anything at Radio Shack again and my future scanners will be a Uniden.

AA6CA Rating: 1/5 Apr 3, 2008 18:32 Send this review to a friend
LCD Display Failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
On the surface this scanner seems to have all the features one could want in a VHF/UHF Scanner. My experience has shown that the LCD display design has a serious defect...it goes blank. About 60 days after purchasing the scanner the display failed. RS replaced it under warranty. A year later the display failed again(went blank). I suspect the Display Driver failed. However, I am not going to invest any more money in repairing this piece of junk. My advice is don't buy a PRO-2055. There are more reliable scanners available.

KB2GQK Rating: 0/5 Nov 30, 2007 13:11 Send this review to a friend
This scanner is garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Happy holidays to everyone on this site. I took this scanner back to Radio Shack in Yonkers, NY store yesterday and got my money back. The store manager has no clue,neither do anyone else there know what they are selling.(Manager had an attitude with me too) The intermod problems are unreal. The Uniden BCT-15 is clearly the best scanner out there,PERIOD. Stay away from anything made by GRE as they are now launching thier own line of scanners similar to Radio Shack as they are the O.E.M.

KB2GQK Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2007 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Analog Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the PRO-2055(date code 08A07)(Made by GRE) and took back the PRO-433(made by Uniden) This scanner is well made, is easier to program but I would say that side by side, the Uniden is more up to date,just hard to get used to the dymanic memory vs. channels. This scanner is good but the display is not great and the volume and squelch knobs should be seperated or made larger as they are on the GRE Com brand now being sold. Also, the VFO knob on the Uniden is much better. Audio is good but very sensitive when raising the volume. CTCSS/DCS/Alpha tagging is good--had to have CTCSS in Westchester County,NY as in open squelch, you get to much intermod and distant stations.

LEM Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2007 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Base Scanner !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own the PRO-2055 and Recently purchased another for my upstairs room,,This Scanner is an excellent value and base scanner for the money,,especially when on sale,,Has a pretty good amount of features and is fairly easy to program and use, nicely back lit display and keypad, can be dimmed or even turned off when using,,Excellent volume,,can get loud without distorting,,Scanners this good with the features today and prices, were unheard of a few years back..Today Scanner technology is great ,,,I recommend this scanner for beginner or experienced !!

N1WCL Rating: 2/5 Sep 17, 2006 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Should be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well this scanner should rate a 5, but the display went out after 31 days of use. Check out radioshack.com for reviews on the model. It seems this is a common problem! I was able to return it and did get a full refund.Before the display went dead, I did like the reciever.
text tags, nice lighted display and keys that can be dimmed or turned off, good audio, ready to use as a base unit or mobile, UHF military air and military VHF AM band all this on sale for $150. But that being said I think at this time it's best to avoid this one.

K9LCQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2006 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the PRO-2055 on sale for $150 because I wanted an inexpensive way to monitor 800 MHz analog trunked systems on a base unit.

Since none of the systems I monitor are digital, I saw no need to purchase a scanner with digital capabilities.

Pros:
* Plenty of channel memories.
* Monitors all analog trunking modes plus non-trunked.
* Provides ten banks (with sub-banks). You can turn on one bank, any combination of banks or all banks with the push of a button.
* Good audio.
* External speaker jack on rear.
* Headphone jack on front panel.
* Programming port on front panel.
* Backlit keypad,
* Triple conversion,
* SKYWARN with FIPS and SAME
* BNC antenna connector

Cons:
* If Radio Shack would include programming software and cable for their scanner I would rate it a 5/5. But lacking any included software package the best rating I will give it is a 4/5.

* It would be nice if it would receive the FM broadcast band.

* I have some concerns on how long the printing will remain on the backlit keys.

Other:
* I did not find the manual too bad, but then I was already familiar trunking in my area and programming Radio Shack scanners.

* My first trunking scanner was the PRO-93 and I have used it for a few years. It was my experience with the PRO-93 that convinced computer programming is the only way to go. The WIN97 software to program the PRO-2055 can be found at http://www.starrsoft.com/. Fortunately the programming cable I use for the PRO-93 also works with the PRO-2055.