Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Ranger RCI-5054DX-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Ranger RCI-5054DX-100
Ranger RCI-5054DX-100 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $349
Description: Ranger brings you the RCI-5054DX-100. This DX model is patterned after the popular 10 & 12 meter RCI-2970DX. It features a microprocessor control, and is rated at 100W PEP SSB and 50W AM/FM/CW.
More info: http://www.rangerusa.com

You can write your own review of the Ranger RCI-5054DX-100.

KM4LCF Rating: 4/5 Aug 8, 2016 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Lots of power for a little money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these on eBay a couple months ago to see what it was like on 6 meters. I paid $214 with shipping, and I have to say it was worth it. So far my longest DX QSO has been from 1154 mi. away, and I was impressed as that was only the 2nd day I had it. A tone board would be nice, but for what I do, mostly simplex SSB on voice, it is not extremely necessary.

Pros:
Not too expensive
100W Power

Cons:
No Tone Board

W9RAS Rating: 2/5 Mar 23, 2015 07:33 Send this review to a friend
RCI 5054DX -100 Buttons upside down and backwards Output low!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased an RCI-5054DX-100 on sale from RCI direct for $319.00. Taking it out of the box I find the buttons on front all had the writing on them upside down I laughed about this ! So obvious an error! . Having worked in Heathkit service on Amateur radio equipment I know things just happen ... I contacted Ranger service by email asking what should I do they have never replied to my email request! Trying out the RCI5054DX-100 I had to look at the picture of it on the operating manual to tell what button I was pressing and what it did because the buttons that are on a rubber like strip were installed upside down AND Backwards.The other problem was low output rated at 50 watts my RCI5054DX-100 was putting out a maximum of 25 on CW . After a couple of weeks and realizing Ranger service was not going to communicate about this embarrassing mistake ? Finally looking on the internet for the service manual all I could find was a small blurry schematic diagram. Perhaps Ranger has a service manual ? I did not contact them about a service manual since they had not replied to my email before . So I then took the RCI5054DX-100 apart removed the front panel and found it very easy to turn the button strip right side up and reversed it end to end so the buttons now read their functions properly . Next was the low output . There are two low pass filters in this rig one at the driver output this is actually the final for the lower power version and one more at the output of the added PA stage or power amplifier. These are commonly adjusted at the factory by spreading or compressing the coils using an insulated plastic tool . These low pass filter coils looked so perfect all turns close spaced I said to myself "they forgot to adjust the low pass filters for best match" . I adjusted both using a Bird 43 wattmeter and Bird 500 watt dummy load on the output . Also checking on a Anritsu spectrum analyzer for clean output. I arrived easily at 50 watts out clean on CW just what the Specs say it should be. The only other thing I noticed was the RCI5054DX-100 receiver overloads easily and strong signals were distorted .Turning the RF gain down cured the problem but if you are listening to several stations and some are strong others weak like I do you are continually adjusting the RF gain . So I give this rig a 3 rating for poor quality control , Poor product support and poor communications. I gave it a 3 and not less because AFTER repairing it this is a nice little rig .

73 Bob

KO3D Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2013 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Gets you on 6M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one of these on EBay for $160 to get on 6M for Es season and honestly wasn't expecting much. It turned out to be a pretty good rig. I was able to reach everyone I could hear with just a dipole working 7 states in an hour and got good comments on the audio. The internal noise is very low. My only complaint is that it has poor selectivity. If I'd paid full retail it might upset me, but for a cheap entry to 6M I am more than happy.

AC5JV Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 07:31 Send this review to a friend
GREAT STAND ALONE RIG   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HELLO: DE AC5JV I HAVE OWNED THE OLDER VERSION THE 25 WATT RIG FOR YEARS , NOW HAVE IT MOBILE, I RECENTLY BOUGHT THE NEW 100 WATT VERSION , HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE FOR BASE OPERATIONS , I PUT A SHURE 526T AMP DESK MIC ON IT , HAVE BEEN TOLD IT IMPROVES THE AUDIO QUALITY %100 , BUT THE STOCK MIC WAS VERY GOOD ALSO .FOR A STAND ALONE RIG I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT WHAT SO EVER .NOW CAN MONITOR 6M ALL THE TIME. HARD TO DO WITH THE OTHER HF+6 RIGS,ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO ALOT OF HF WORK.YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN 6M OPENS UP .

KE0VH Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2011 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Really great radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am very pleased with my Ranger RCI-5054 DX-100. It worked virtually everything I could hear during this years VHF contest and just general operating. I have a 3 element homebrew beam at KE0VH, and the radio's only downer that I have seen is there is no filtering of strong adjacent signals. The step tuning works well, just slightly cumbersome but is relatively easy to get used to. I am really impressed with the company and ordered directly from Ranger-USA. The packaging was great and the radio was ready to power up and go. I am planning on taking the radio up a 14000 foot peak here in Colorado and operating lower power (fully adjustable) on a battery next summer. The rig I obtained came with a white on blue display, which really looks great! You can see a picture of my Ranger in my shack on the left hand side rack at www.qsl.net/ke0vh.
I highly recommend this radio in its current version to anyone interested in a 100 stand alone rig for mobile OR base with a 20 amp power supply.

N5PLV Rating: 1/5 Feb 2, 2009 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Modified CB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used and its had its share of problems after the warranty date expired. The backlighting goes out due to a faulty inverter. The backlighting design is poor overall. There is no support from Ranger as far as ordering parts. I heard that the parts division was sold to a third party. Good luck finding some!

The construction of this radio is horrible. Inside it looks like CB radio technology from the 1970's. I put it on an IFR service monitor and checked it out. It meets specs as far as receive sensitivity and RF power output, but boy you should see the signal on the spectrum analyzer! Really dirty transmitter! The warranty seal was NOT broken when I bought it, so nobody has been inside to cause this. It doesn’t have a CTCSS board. I think it holds a whole 10 whopping memories! Do yourself a favor if you're considering one of these. Just add $50 to the new price and find a used Icom 706 original and get all 100 watts on all the HF+6m bands including 10 watts on 2m. This is nothing but a modified export CB radio made to cover 6m. Even includes a Roger beep!

KC0LOE Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2008 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Good 6-meter Budget Radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After listening to a lot of the local operators talk about 6-meters, I thought I would give it a whirl. After researching for a couple of months ,and reading reviews on many different 6-meter radios. I chose the ranger due to the cost and experience of a couple of local guys that use em.

At first glance, the radio looked like a export CB radio to me. I was thinking that it wasn't going to work worth a hoot After hooking it up, I made several contacts that said the audio was good and the signal was nice and strong.

There are only two things that I think Ranger could do to make the radio better. First of all, they can dump the roger beep since there is really no need for it. The second thing would be to include a tone board. One is available from Ranger, but you have to manually change the tones on the board via dip-switches.

Other than that It is a good performer for the cost.

N2BR Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2006 07:49 Send this review to a friend
RCI 5054DX-100  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my Ranger in April 2006 and was suprise at the receive it has,Have work many contacts with a 6 meter loop antenna at 15 feet high.Great little radio.

KB7QWZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2006 09:42 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first got my Ranger in January 2005. For the first six months the backlight went out three times. Twice I sent it in and the third time they just sent me the strip which is time consuming but relatively easy to install. It just plugs into a module. Then it went out again and they sent me another. They said they had a whole batch of bad ones from a supplier but this one should be fine. It wasn't so they called the radio back and gave me a new radio. Then the new radio failed so they called it back and replaced the strip and the module it plugs into. Since that time I have not had another problem with it and it scans all the memories in it daily. The company was real great in their followup. I have the internal CTCSS module since we have a repeater nearby with a tone and since I only use it for a base there is no need to change tones, but if it is necessary, it is very simple to do once you remove the bottom case and have the binary code reference. If it were mobile an outside module would be better since it may be necessary to change tones for different repeaters. The only reason I downgraded my evaluation is that when the tone is on it is on for everything, and if you forget to turn off the split for the repeater on simplex or SSB you will not make contact. I have also made many contacts mostly over the western half of the country and Canada because of my location. I have the OA50 for SSB and a Ringo vertical for FM on an antenna switch. Every contact gives me a 5/9 report and can't believe it is a Ranger.

KE5GBY Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2006 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First I have to say that this one super performing 6 meter all mode tranceiver with plenty of power.
I paid a little less than the MSRP for a brand new model.

My first impression was that it would make a great base rig, which I had planned on using it for. This is my first rig that I have bought brand new.
I have it hooked up to a PAR OA-50 Omni Loop antenna at 30 feet and have made many, many cross country contacts inluding Canada and Mexico.
I also use it for local 6m nets and ragchewing and am ALWAYS getting great signal reports and amazement at my simple 6m setup.

This 100 watt version has a cooling fan mounted underneath the radio which is a great feature. It has blue backlit LED(keep reading)display with big easy to see numbers.
I also really like the front panel adjustable RF power out knob.
It has a Clarifier knob which acts the same as RIT. Also a very easy to use menu also.

So why did I give it a 4 out of 5? Well, about 2 days after receiving the radio the blue LED panel light went out. Came back on, went out again. It still does this.
I contacted Ranger about this issue and they were already aware of this problem and told me that I must have received an early model since the later models had this problem fixed.
They offered to check it out if I sent it in with about a 2 week turn-a-round time. I was a little upset as I was sold a radio with a known problem.
I asked if they could just send me a new model but they declined. I had just setup my 6m station and explained that I did not want to go through the hassle of having to pack it back up and ship it off and be without a 6m rig for that long.
I felt that they should have taken back all of M&P Audio's (where I bought it) stock of these radios and replaced them with the newer models that supposedly do not have this problem. (By the way, M&P never replied to any of my emails).

So I just said the heck with it and kept it even though it has this intermediate problem.
I also wish it had a factory installed tone board, but I guess you can't have everything. I only use it on SSB at this time but will soon get a vertical antenna as there is one 6m FM repeater in my area.

So to sum it up, I think this is definitely a great stand alone 6m all mode rig with a good price (Compare it to Alinco's FM only 25 watt tranceiver).
Before you buy, make sure you get a later model so you hopefully won't have the backlight problem.

-73