Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI NEDSP 1061 Help

Reviews Summary for BHI NEDSP 1061
BHI NEDSP 1061 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139.00
Description: DSP Filter Capable of being added to any rig.
More info: http://www.bhi-ltd.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the BHI NEDSP 1061.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a difficult one to evaluate.

The installation is crappy.
I admit, there’s not much place left in an FT817nd but especially in such cases, correct mounting instructions are a must.

Let me explain:
The “preferred” location to mount the PCB is plain stupid, because that’s where the optional CW filter should go and tell me: what’s an FT817 worth on CW without filter? Nothing!
Indeed, the optional CW filter turns a very mediocre CW transceiver into a very capable CW machine.

Then the manual proposes an alternative mounting position which it is simply impossible.
Some communication with the very helpful WIMO staff learned the alternative location should be OK if you turn the PCB 90° to what’s shown in the installation manual.
Still, after much try and error, I was not able to mount the PCB as there was a cap on the BHI reaching 2mm above the maximum height to close the cover. Did BHI mount a different cap type on my PCB? I don’t know but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the thing in.
Finally, I found a suitable location close to the back of the unit where I could mount it quite neatly.
I think BHI should have done a bit more research and propose this location as an alternative too.
For installation, I rate the BHI unit a 1/5.

But…how marvelous this unit works! It is the best AF DSP I’ve ever heard.
MUCH better than the one on my ICOM IC7400, MUCH better than any Timewave.
I don’t know how they do it, but it works equally well on SSB as on CW, leaving you with a noiseless, undistorted, easy to listen to signal.
If it’s a carrier, it gets attenuated. If it’s CW, it automatically passes – amazing!
It simply puts the little FT817nd receiver into a higher class!
For operation, I rate it a BIG 5/5!

So, as the installation is but a temporary pain in the neck and since it performs so well, I still rate it a 5/5!

M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Get it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Be prepared with a decent soldering iron with a fine tip. Also some decent magnification (if you're as blind as the proverbial bat).

Be prepared to muck about with the "Z" bracket mount so the micro switch doesn't foul on the top cover hole.

Switch on a whole new radio.

W4OP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2010 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Best DSP to Date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the SG-2020 QRP rigs, but the SGC ADSP DSP modules, even in bypass, badly color the audio- taking out the lows. I installed the BHI (ordered directly from BHI) in the 2020 and used the 2020's NB button logic to enable/disable the unit with a fixed setting of -20dB reduction. Fabulous result- much better than the ADSP modules, both from an NR standpoint and audio spectrum.
You can see photos and text on the Yahoo SG-2020 group.
Dale W4OP

VE3DDY Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2010 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Be sure of your Ability to do this installation.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the NEDSP1061-KBD from W4RT to install it myself in a Yaesu Ft-817.
Removing the SMT capacitor in the set was easy to do with a very fine tipped temp controlled soldering iron and doing the rest of the cable hookup a breeze. However problems started when I tried to mount the DSP board in the rig. The first casulty was that the KBD LED control cable was so stiff that the wires tore or broke off the main pcb.
I replaced the 3 conductor shielded cable with 3 wires from a piece of ribbon cable and didn't worry about the shielding .
On power up, the unit appeared to work fine except the micro push button would jam and I had to enlarge the hole in the radio's cover.
By this time I was wishing I'd paid the extra $30 and got W4RT to install the unit for me.
After a round of e-mails to Graham at Bhi and careful resoldering of my connectios with a minimum of solder blobs, I got the unit functioning well.
What an amazing unit. It outperforms the DSP in my other Icom radio. Stations on 75 meters that were indistinguishable due to hash noise became perfectly clear.
If you are going to install this unit yourself, be confident in your ability to solder "small" and use the appropiate tools for working with micro sized components. Better still , Let W4RT handle the installation for you.
My deepest appreciation to Graham of Bhi Ltd. for his help and encouragement.
Jim VE3DDY

PA3ANG Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Very good product and service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A little late in buying this awesome product for my FT-817. (original model)

I have used my FT-817 in various configurations but with this DSP unit build in, the reception has improved increadabily. The rather noisy FT-817 has turned into a quiet monitoring receiver and with the different DSP levels weak signals get crystal clear.

It took me just over an hour to install the unit and it does fit very nicely into the case, together with an already installed CW filter.

Doing business with bhi has been a pleasure. Quick (international) delivery and Graham's personal support is outstanding. Highly recommended.

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2009 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The BHI made my FT-897 into a whole new radio. 75 meters is listenable now. I agree with the previous reviewer, the BHI 1061 exceeds its advertising. In fact, mp3 sound clips I have recorded show an even more dramatic improvement than the ones on BHI's site.

I installed my BHI 1061 module myself, using instructions found on the FT-897 yahoo group.

Thumbs up to BHI! Paul - AE5JU

W7TAE Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2009 10:05 Send this review to a friend
awesome performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the bhi unit instaled by W4RT (great service!)on my FT-897 and think it performs better than adverstised- a rareity in todays world. I have a LOT of noise at my downtown Seattle QTH and the bhi makes armchair copy out of normal ssb signals plauged by the high noise. I cant imagine operating without it any more. It seems even better on cw.

KB5LDD Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2008 03:04 Send this review to a friend
Works great in YAESU FT-897D  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two BHI NEDSP1061-KBD modules (bought them from W4RT.com). One of them was installed in my FT-817ND (about one year ago) and the second module I've just installed it last weekend in my FT-897D. The installation is even simpler... Same great results, no more loud hiss when increased the audio level... great success! I uploaded the pdf file with all informations to the FT-897 yahoo group:
I love my "new" FT-897D !

AB0O Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2007 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Was able to install it myself!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Outstanding difference in the audio on my FT-817. Makes a good rig even better. The unit is easy to adjust, and provides more than enough DSP to quiet the most anoying noise levels with ease. The vendor supplies the unit as user-installed or they will install the unit for a fee. I decided that I would try to install the unit myself as a personal challenge. The instructions are straightforward and even though there are many warnings about the need to have experience with surface-mount technology, I found that with a small 25W soldering iron sharpened down to a point, I was able to easily remove the single SM capacitor and solder the wires to the board. After that, nothing was any more difficult than routing wires and drilling holes. I found that the biggest challenge in the installation process was to disassemble and reassemble the FT-817 itself, given that the last rigs I had serviced were from the 80's. I have some electronics training, but my greatest works have been limited to small homebrew projects, and restoring of older equipment. For someone who feels they have enough skill and experience to take on this install, this is a rewarding project. If you have doubts about your skills or your '817 is your only rig, then you might be best to get it installed professionally.

WA5MAH Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2007 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Works GREAT in Alinco DX-77  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After finding this link: http://www.qsl.net/5b4agv/5b4agv-alincomod.html I ordered this from w4rt.com. A quick and easy install later, and my trusty DX-77T has been reborn!

I've used it on SSB, PSK, RTTY, and CW, and the only "problems" I've had were on RTTY, when a really strong station came on in my passband, the filter attenuated the station I was working. It removes almost all of the non-impulse background noise (the hiss), and lets me crank the AF gain up farther than I've ever been able to before.

They don't claim that it works for anything but phone, so I wasn't surprised, and not at all disappointed.

The installation in the DX-77 is vastly simpler than for the FT-817 that they designed this for! The hardest part was drilling a hole in the keyboard-mounting bracket. All of the necessary mounting holes already exist in the radio, and you only have to buy one M3 screw, nut, and washer.

I'm no longer jealous of my buddy's fancy rig, now that my DX-77 can hear as well as his! In fact, it hears so well, that I'm buying an Ameritron AL-811 amp!