Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI NEDSP 1061 Help

Reviews Summary for BHI NEDSP 1061
BHI NEDSP 1061 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $139.00
Description: DSP Filter Capable of being added to any rig.

You can write your own review of the BHI NEDSP 1061.

M0VST Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Don't have it? Your missing out  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What an amazing device, as others have said it completely revolutionizes the already fantastic Yaesu FT-817.

The install is a bit tricky if you already have an optional filter fitted as its very tight for space but it is possible with patience.

I run mine in 4 mode (4 levels of adjustment) and find even on level 4 it doesn't distort audio.

This filter make the difference between hearing the DX in the noise, with this filter the noise is gone, its amazing how it recognizes speech and lets it through while crushing everything else.

While listening to broadcast stations on AM this filter is like a reverse karaoke button, the music is squashed and only the human voice is let through.

On the setup in the 817 don't be afraid to wind back P1 & P2 (input and output) to get the levels right, I have mine set quite low so however strong the signal is I receive no distortion from the speaker.

A great a product at a great price, it can transform any receivers front end to that of much more expensive and newer equipment.

Not just a bunch of resistors and capacitors as I've heard it described on the air!
Try a 64 pin micro processor controlled DSP.

5/5 from me.
Keep up the great work

I could kick myself for not fitting it years ago.

It has to be a special product to get a 5 from me..

P.S. This is the only non Yaesu mod that is recognized by Yaesu and that will not void your warranty if fitted at purchase.

W6PUG Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2012 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Great update to Boatanchor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought one from GAP to put into speaker circuit in the Hallicrafters PS-500 to SR-500 Tornado transciever - great investment ... cuts down AF noise admirably! If you have a boatanchor that you love to operate, adding this little feature will greatly enhance the experience. Mine mounted perfectly in the vent holes toward the back of the speaker/PS cabinet, so there is no "damage" to the cabinet, in the event I want to sell it someday ... Really worth the investment!
N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2012 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Must have upgrade!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Agree with all other posts!

I have the DSP for my FT-817ND and use it all the time. In fact I made a video on YouTube showing how well it works in quite conditions to noisy natural conditions to hybrid high voltage noise induced conditions. It's really a nice and effective option to have.

You can view the vid titled on YouTube;

"Review: BHI DSP for Yeasu FT-817ND"

Or under administrator: N2RRAny

WF8O Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2012 15:36 Send this review to a friend
W4RT BHI DSP FT817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This unit absolutely transformed my 817 from a good cw rig to a fantastic cw rig. The static hiss disappears, leaving signals I couldn't even hear. I bought from W4RT, and the customer service was excellent. I have no connection to that firm except I have bought from them also in the past. very professional and prompt response to emails. Highly recommended!

Mike Narges WF8O
ON6AB Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a difficult one to evaluate.

The installation is crappy.
I admit, there’s not much place left in an FT817nd but especially in such cases, correct mounting instructions are a must.

Let me explain:
The “preferred” location to mount the PCB is plain stupid, because that’s where the optional CW filter should go and tell me: what’s an FT817 worth on CW without filter? Nothing!
Indeed, the optional CW filter turns a very mediocre CW transceiver into a very capable CW machine.

Then the manual proposes an alternative mounting position which it is simply impossible.
Some communication with the very helpful WIMO staff learned the alternative location should be OK if you turn the PCB 90° to what’s shown in the installation manual.
Still, after much try and error, I was not able to mount the PCB as there was a cap on the BHI reaching 2mm above the maximum height to close the cover. Did BHI mount a different cap type on my PCB? I don’t know but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the thing in.
Finally, I found a suitable location close to the back of the unit where I could mount it quite neatly.
I think BHI should have done a bit more research and propose this location as an alternative too.
For installation, I rate the BHI unit a 1/5.

But…how marvelous this unit works! It is the best AF DSP I’ve ever heard.
MUCH better than the one on my ICOM IC7400, MUCH better than any Timewave.
I don’t know how they do it, but it works equally well on SSB as on CW, leaving you with a noiseless, undistorted, easy to listen to signal.
If it’s a carrier, it gets attenuated. If it’s CW, it automatically passes – amazing!
It simply puts the little FT817nd receiver into a higher class!
For operation, I rate it a BIG 5/5!

So, as the installation is but a temporary pain in the neck and since it performs so well, I still rate it a 5/5!
M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Get it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Be prepared with a decent soldering iron with a fine tip. Also some decent magnification (if you're as blind as the proverbial bat).

Be prepared to muck about with the "Z" bracket mount so the micro switch doesn't foul on the top cover hole.

Switch on a whole new radio.
W4OP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2010 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Best DSP to Date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the SG-2020 QRP rigs, but the SGC ADSP DSP modules, even in bypass, badly color the audio- taking out the lows. I installed the BHI (ordered directly from BHI) in the 2020 and used the 2020's NB button logic to enable/disable the unit with a fixed setting of -20dB reduction. Fabulous result- much better than the ADSP modules, both from an NR standpoint and audio spectrum.
You can see photos and text on the Yahoo SG-2020 group.
Dale W4OP
VE3DDY Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2010 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Be sure of your Ability to do this installation.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the NEDSP1061-KBD from W4RT to install it myself in a Yaesu Ft-817.
Removing the SMT capacitor in the set was easy to do with a very fine tipped temp controlled soldering iron and doing the rest of the cable hookup a breeze. However problems started when I tried to mount the DSP board in the rig. The first casulty was that the KBD LED control cable was so stiff that the wires tore or broke off the main pcb.
I replaced the 3 conductor shielded cable with 3 wires from a piece of ribbon cable and didn't worry about the shielding .
On power up, the unit appeared to work fine except the micro push button would jam and I had to enlarge the hole in the radio's cover.
By this time I was wishing I'd paid the extra $30 and got W4RT to install the unit for me.
After a round of e-mails to Graham at Bhi and careful resoldering of my connectios with a minimum of solder blobs, I got the unit functioning well.
What an amazing unit. It outperforms the DSP in my other Icom radio. Stations on 75 meters that were indistinguishable due to hash noise became perfectly clear.
If you are going to install this unit yourself, be confident in your ability to solder "small" and use the appropiate tools for working with micro sized components. Better still , Let W4RT handle the installation for you.
My deepest appreciation to Graham of Bhi Ltd. for his help and encouragement.
PA3ANG Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Very good product and service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A little late in buying this awesome product for my FT-817. (original model)

I have used my FT-817 in various configurations but with this DSP unit build in, the reception has improved increadabily. The rather noisy FT-817 has turned into a quiet monitoring receiver and with the different DSP levels weak signals get crystal clear.

It took me just over an hour to install the unit and it does fit very nicely into the case, together with an already installed CW filter.

Doing business with bhi has been a pleasure. Quick (international) delivery and Graham's personal support is outstanding. Highly recommended.
AE5JU Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2009 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The BHI made my FT-897 into a whole new radio. 75 meters is listenable now. I agree with the previous reviewer, the BHI 1061 exceeds its advertising. In fact, mp3 sound clips I have recorded show an even more dramatic improvement than the ones on BHI's site.

I installed my BHI 1061 module myself, using instructions found on the FT-897 yahoo group.

Thumbs up to BHI! Paul - AE5JU