Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | GenLog32 By W3KM Help

Reviews Summary for GenLog32 By W3KM
GenLog32 By W3KM Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $Donations Appreciated
Description: Free Windows software supports 98, ME, W2K, NT & XP. More than 290 contests and activities supported. 53 QSO Parties supported. Does not control radios or rotors, no networking or Packet. No contest setup or config files needed to start a contest. Is a contest logger, not `Awards` software. 5000 QSO limit per log.Creates CQ Zone, ITU Zone, Grid square and DXCC totals. Logs many VHF/UHF contests not supported by VHF LOG. Shows Counties/States & Sections worked, to be worked. Automatic CW message with incremented serial number. Grid Square distance/heading routines, plus Grid maps.Selectable partial callsign search. Use GenSort to make datafiles. Writes ASCII and Cabrillo format Log files. Imports and exports ADIF format files. Writes EDI log files for R1 VHF/UHF contests - EDI Application. Auto UTC offset. DVK - Call the working station in your voice. CW keyer - Memory and keyboard CW, w/ TX PTT. Burst CW - multi-speed contest messaging. Windows style HELP, general and for each contest.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/w3km

You can write your own review of the GenLog32 By W3KM.

VE3DVY Rating: 2/5 Dec 14, 2012 07:07 Send this review to a friend
poor error checking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I see a bunch of rave reviews, but look at this test cabrillo, it is a sample from a test I did on the program where I concentrated on potential errors often made in the rush and by beginer operators.

START-OF-LOG: 3.0
QSO: 7000 PH 2012-12-14 0742 VE3DVY 0003 A 66 ONE W6XRS 0005 4 77 NT
QSO: 7000 PH 2012-12-14 0743 VE3DVY 0004 A 66 ONE W3XSH 0005 4 98 WMF
QSO: 7000 PH 2012-12-14 0746 VE3DVY 0005 A 66 ONE w3xsh 0088 A 46 WBZ
END-OF-LOG:

This test log is for November sweepstakes. I entered these qsos receiving only one error message. and as you can see there are plenty more errors. Nonexistent sections and one dupe, plus invalid score. The one error I got was for a dupe that did not get logged. the dup in the log gave no error.

first off my initial thought. the screen is busy and some of the field names are confusing. But this is no different than many other programs. But it had on my opinion some serious flaws It counted the nonexistent sections as multipliers.

I purposely entered some bad section names. It counted these as new multipliers. the problem here is nobody is perfect. a slip of the finger can turn
ONE to ONR or WBY instead of WNY and in the rush of a contest this may go unnoticed since these are counted as multipliers. Most of the other programs that I tested indicated invalid section. The odd part is that when I clicked on multipliers and view sections it showed only the valid sections worked but the score and Cabrillo file generated ignores this and counted all incuding the errors. When viewing the sections abbreviations it did not include ONE ONW GTA or ONN. These are new sections. It did however have ON which is no longer a valid section. this is an updated version from Dec 3 2012 created long after the new sections have been in use. some would say that you could go back and make corrections but with all the section abbreviations it would be impossible to determine correct sections post contest.

Dupes; It did not notify that I was working a dup until I added the serial number and section. Wasted
time. Also real call signs are not case sensitive if you enter a call in capitals and again lower case it should count them as the same and alert a dupe. however one can enter the same call in different case and GenLog sees them as different calls and doesnt notify DUPE

This could be a great piece of software for simple casual contesting, but needs much improvement on error correction.

N0OKS Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2011 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job - Very Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using GenLog32 for almost a year. I use it for general logging and for contesting, both running a frequency and S&P. I run the program on a W98 laptop.

My conclusion is that the program is very easy to use. The learning curve is slight. It has every feature I need, except frequency / band tracking which requires an interface with my rig. Hence the five rating.

Dave Mascaro, W3KM, the publisher, has outstanding contest support. It seems every contest has to change their rules every so often and this puts a significant burden on Dave. Looking at other logging programs, it appears Dave is about the only publisher who is actively keeping up with the changes to contest rules.

I recently looked at other logging programs as I really would like a logging program that tracks the frequency of my rig, a K3. This is the only feature that I miss in GenLog32. Dave tells me that he is so busy responding contest rule changes that he has no time to add a rig interface. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Im sticking with GenLog32 and Ill manually change the band entry.

While looking at other logging programs I see there is a certain lack of support and updates. This is not surprising. Logging software is either free or not very expensive. Based on the revenue, only a publisher who is getting a decent price for the software and upgrade fees can be expected to keep up with all the changes that are required. If keeping up with changes to contest rules is a significant burden, then keeping up with rig integration is a real nightmare.

To put this in perspective, I am a CW operator who can copy 25 wpm exchanges in a contest pretty well, but when in S & P mode, I grateful that I can listen to the exchange as many times as required to get it right. Same goes for DX pile ups.

Mark, NOKS

K8GVK Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2010 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Perfect & Win7 Too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using GenLog for many years now and can only echo whats other reviews have stated to date.
I have never had any errors (except my own) and zero crashes. It's easy to use, exceptional help section which will explain all functions etc. I have used it with XP and now on Win7 64 bit....
Dave keeps it up to date and well supported.

Now with the new generation of computers with no serial ports and 64 bit operating systems, CW keying becomes problematic since GenLog is designed to key via serial or parallel ports.

All in all, I can certainly recommend one try this program in your next contest.

WA7MR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2008 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent logger  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used the GenLog32 program now for the last two HF contests (ARRL DX SSB and CQ WPX SSB)and have been very happy with the operation. The log conversion to the universal cabrillo format for results submission was seamless. I run an old TS-820S and don't need all the control software. Dupe checking was easy, serial numbers for WPX were easy to send. I like it!

KD5J Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Best Logging software I have used!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using GenLog32 for a year now. I was looking for a Windows-based no-frills logging software. GenLog is the best deal around in logging software, its free! I was looking for a logging program that does just that, logging. I didnt want to use one that clutters up the screen with call lookups, rotor turning, DX spots etc. Once you learn all the feature of the program it becomes a very powerful logging tool.
PROS:
1. Dave W3KM updates the program on a regular basis. He is easy to communicate with and will repair any bugs you might find in a software update.
2. Besides general logging, a template for nearly every contest on the planet is included. As a result of this, I participate in contests more often than what I used to. Actually, I think this is one of the big pluses of GenLog.
3. Creates a backup file of your logs as you
use the program, the backup file can also be directed to another hard drive or storage device.
4. When you finish a contest, you may easily create a copy of your log in Cabrillo or ADI format. It will also create a log summary .SUM file.
5. The program is "user friendly". That being said, I think it would take the average user spending time working a few contests with the program and learning all of its functions to become efficient with it.
CONS:
1. This is constructive criticism: GenLog does not support very many VHF contests. One option would be to use VHFLog also by W3KM. VHFLog is a different program than Genlog. It is not quite as user-friendly to me as GenLog is. I would rather some more broad support for VHF contests in GenLog.

I like GenLog so much I can honestly say I would not even consider any other logging program.

NU4B Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2006 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Software for free  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is actually a neat little logging program for free. Its not like the big boys, but it works really well and is kept continuously updated.
(The counties contest exchange can be accessed after you select a QSO party. On the right is a tab that says "counties". Click the tab and the counties appear in the bottom window with the county abbreviations. Same for districts, etc.. in the smaller DX contests.)
I've used this program for several years. Although really set up for contests you can also use it for general logging.
I don't think you can go wrong for the price!

W5TD Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2006 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This logging program is free, so you can't beat the price. Pretty good for state QSO parties, as it supports every QP out there, but could handle the country entry a little better. It just enters whatever you put for the QTH, but if you don't enter the abbreviation correctly it doesn't count it as a mult-but it never tells you this. Overall pretty easy to use, but could use a little improvement in several areas.

AA5CH Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2006 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Simple And Versatile Logger For The Casual Contester  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was surprised no one had reviewed this fine contest logging software so I thought I'd add it to the list.

This software is intended for the CASUAL contester and it excels in that application. There are no complicated interfaces or set-up menus to hassle with. You simply enter your station info and select one of the roughly 300 supported contests.

I was referred to this program by the NAQCC [North American QRP CW Club] website because it supports their monthly sprints. I found it also supports several of the "smaller" contests and events I enjoy participating in. This past weekend I used it to log a few contacts in both the FISTS Summer Sprint and the QRP-ARCI Summer Homebrew Sprint. Switching contests was quick and easy, as was exporting the contact data via ADIF to my main logging program, and preparing my log submissions.

If you require that your contest logger to interface with your transceiver[s], packet cluster and rotor, track hourly contact rates rates, and handle multiple thousands of QSO's this isn't what you need. However,if you stumble across a contest some weekend afternoon and decide you'd like to make a few dozen or hundred contacts and enter them in a template that will score them, I don't think it can get much easier than GenLog32.

The larger contests are intimidating enough without having to hassle with a complex logging program many of us simply don't need. While GenLog32 supports the major contests, I think its real strength is its support of the many smaller contests overlooked by other logging programs.

Best of all it's free! But I think you'll be glad to donate a few bucks to the author when you see how simple and versatile the program is and decide that it meets your needs.

In addition to the link in the product listing, info on GenLog32 can be found here....

Brad