Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | 2/4/6 AMP SMART BATTERY CHARGER Help

Reviews Summary for 2/4/6 AMP SMART BATTERY CHARGER
2/4/6 AMP SMART BATTERY CHARGER Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 8 minutes charge to start, 5 hours to charge
Lightweight, high efficiency design
3 LEDs display charge rate selected
Charging complete and reverse polarity indicators
Digital Smart Control means system will always charge at 100% of its rated output anywhere...regardless of AC power quality or extension cord length. Compensates for low AC from extension cord use. Features high frequency power conversion technology. Automatic stop and fault detection indicator eliminates the danger of reverse hookups, sparking or battery acid leakage due to overcharging. High-frequency power conversion technology. Amps and status codes appear in an easy-to-read large digital display. Self-storing cables and clamps in a lightweight design for easy portability. Limited 5-year warranty
More info: http://www.vectormfg.com/battery-chargers.php

You can write your own review of the 2/4/6 AMP SMART BATTERY CHARGER.

WW4FLY Rating: 1/5 Dec 9, 2006 10:30 Send this review to a friend
New Model - Bad RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the model which has superceded this one, the VEC-1098. I experienced moderate to severe RFI with the charger and radio connected to the charging battery. Even in the "standby" mode, when the unit displays a "chasing LED lights" pattern, the pulsating noise was irritating. At higher charging power the noise gets much worse. I returned this unit and purchased a "Battery Tender" which is about the same price, and no discernable RFI.

N1KSN Rating: 3/5 Jul 11, 2006 07:01 Send this review to a friend
OK, but watch for sparks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this recharger from Walmart. What bothers me most about it is that no matter how you hook it up (AC plug in first or battery contacts first), serious sparks occur at the battery terminals. I use the unit in a drafty garage, so no problem for me; but I would not use this anywhere there is a chance for gas buildup.

Because of the sparking, I replaced the unit with a Battery Tender Waterproof 800. Big mistake. The Battery Tender puts out broadband RFI that is terrible. I went back to the Vector unit because of this. The RFI is much less for it.

As far as charging goes, it seems to do the job just fine. (But the fan is noisy!) It has not once overcharged a battery, which is more than I can say for the lousy Battery Tender Waterproof I wasted my money on.

WA7NCL Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2006 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Works good at a good price. Low EMI!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I blew up my kluged up homebrew battery charger, I decided it was time for a real charger. This unit will charge up AGM, Gell and wet cells. So far I have charged a regular auto battery, an AGM battery and a large gell cell battery. Each unit charged automatically and stopped when fully charged. I tried it on fully discharged as well as nearly charged batteries. The automatic shut off seems to work in either case. I charged a battery right next to my HF rig and found very little EMI. The only gripe I have is that it uses a DC fan for cooling that is very noisey. Also the fans speed varys depending on the charging voltage (sounds kinda goofy). I would have given it a 5 except for the noisey fan. I recommend this product.