Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000
Yaesu FT-1000 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $3200
Description: Excellent performer, almost identical to FT-1000D
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000.

GW0GEI Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2012 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer and joy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first ft1000 just before they ceased importing them into the UK. Previously ran Yaesu hf radios including ft101, and ft920af, and Kenwood ts430 and ts850sat, before buying an ic7400 (ic746pro) for mainly 6m (main band here).

I ran the ft1000 in hf contests and for low band dxing - superb performance, and I bought and sold on an ft1kmp after finding it was not up to the original ft1k performance on the low bands. I installed Inrad 1.8kc ssb filter in second if which improved the contesting experience but never felt the need to add second rx cw filter or extra cw filters. The apf and shift/width were a dream to use in contests and I have yet to find a better cw operation radio. I installed a second hand bpf1 filter unit for the second rx as another upgrade and played with diversity reception for while. I eventually sold the radio in 2009, partly due to an impending job and house move where I was needing to downsize towers antennas and radios/amps prior to the move, but mainly due to the very good price I was offered for it.

I used my ic7400 on hf as well as 6m and 2m for first two years after house move but then started to miss the second receiver from the ft1k. I bought a ft1kmk5 field to try which had inrad filters and inrad roofing filter installed. That was a nice radio but still missed my ft1k and the quality feel of the radio plus the apf on cw. I sold the ft1kmk5 on for a profit and kept an eye out for a decent second hand ft1kd or ft1k. I eventually found one in good order with the bpf1 unit installed as an upgrade and I bought it earlier this year. I still had my microham keyer usb router interface leads in their box so it hooked up real easy with the shack laptop and it felt like an old friend had returned. I have played in a few domestic contests on ssb and cw this year and cqwwssb on 80m last weekend. Its still a dream to operate and the only thing missing for me is 6m and a transverter port! I need to open it up on tx so I can operate 5mhz again and I will probably get it serviced and some extra filters installed at some point. I keep looking at the ftdx5k and now the ftdx3k for the dual rx on 6m but the price is just making me hold back along with a little voice in my head saying don't do it!

For hf/lf dxing and contesting you cannot go far wrong with an ft1k at the price you can still pick up a second hand one if you look carefully. ON cw they are superb. They look great, they are still the preferred radio for field day contest here in the uk, and one day I might implement the transverter port mod that a techie friend of mine worked out was possible:-)

I would give it 4.9 if it was possible to do so but I have to give it a strong 4 due to the absence of a transverter port and the key click /nb issues in the original design (what were they thinking of putting a top end £4k radio without atrvtr port?!

If you have never tried one I would advise you to try one out - you may be surprised if you have one on the bench next to a more modern radio!

WB0MMZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2008 12:30 Send this review to a friend
So many features but a breeze to use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this radio on Ebay for a very nice price. I sold my Kenwood TS-2000 which I bought new 3 years ago. The Kenwood is a great radio but a little too technical for me. The FT-1000 is a much better radio with an excellent receiver and so much easier to navigate. It puts out the full 200 watts plus. The nice thing is that the manual is only about 85 pages and that includes the schematics. I have owned numerous radios with the built-in tuners and they were somewhat noisy. The tuner on the Yaesu is silent and fast. I also have the matching SP-5 with filters and it's amazing how many combinations you can make to get the sound you prefer. My only complaint, and it's not a big deal is that the dial is somewhat heavy and hard to turn with the finger dent. It's not a big deal at all and the one advantage to it is the fact that it tunes very accurately rather than a runaway dial. I have owned many radios over the span of my 35 years as a ham and this is by far the finest radio I have ever owned. Finally, this may seem funny to some of you, but the Yaesu looks like a radio, whereas the Kenwood looked more like something that could be on a spaceship. I'm a purist, so this radio suits what I am looking for in a radio. Accolades to Yaesu. 73. Joe

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2008 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Contest Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked this up from W4MYA used, have wanted one ever since using one at W3GH and K3ANS 10 years ago. Main rig is an IC-7800.
Put in the narrow 2nd receiver filter and put on an add-on audio filter/speaker by SGC.
I have run in about 5 contests. Receiver is wonderful, impossible to overload. Never a need to crank in an attenuator at all. Very sharp with dual filters in (all available filters are installed). Audio on transmit is wonderful, very easy to understand, lots of punch. I think I like it just as much if not more than the IC-7800. It is much better than my FT-1000MP was or my Pro3 was. Very easy to use and adjust. The dual receiver function is very easy to use.
At 51 pounds, it is not an FD rig. No menus to mess with at all, this makes it very easy to use in a contest after you have been operating 35 plus hours. The rig control function is very good.

WK9L Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2006 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Contest Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having a FT-1000 in the shack a while my thoughts are it is a good contest rig, It has a great filter setup "with the extras" very smooth when going from the 2.4 2.0 500 and then the 250 hrz, actully as smooth as any I have ever used. geat receiver. It is just a little narrow on SSB receive for every day use for my liking. But Thats me. But on the good side it is super CW
rig. I like my TS-950sdx for every day use.

KF8RX Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2005 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for about twelve years. I saved a bunch compared to the "D" even after upgrading to the crystal 2.0 filter and adding the BPF-1 for the sub band receiver.

Very quiet receiver. Great audio reports. The best CW rig ever when using it's APF feature.

This was the last of the great analog radios. If you can find a used one, go for it. It wont be mine though. I'm keeping mine until it rusts out!

Eric

IK4CIE Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2004 17:14 Send this review to a friend
very good in CW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I buy two FT1000 to compare it with FT1000MP. I prefer the FT1000 because i work mostly CW and the APF function is fantastic; this function is'nt in the MP. The radio work very well in any band. The only problem is that if i connect the dipole for 40m, and then i go listen in 20m band.... i have signals over S-9 from broadcast stations that transmit in 40m !!(in the evening!)!!! Connecting proper antenna, this signals disappears and all go right. So, poor filtering in early stages. Also the FT1000D suffer this problem.

J_LUMLEY_EX_KK9W Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2003 20:23 Send this review to a friend
works FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
low noise figure on the front end,used with a 160 loop, ANYWHERE you wish to tune,with internal tuner. GOOD VALUE for the LOW PRICE compared to the MSRP, dont let the lack of "D" stop you. THIS IS A KEEPER. SURPRISED MORE DONT REVIEW THIS RIG.jim kk9w

G0WSP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2003 08:38 Send this review to a friend
A true DX `ers shack rig !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am amazed only to be the second person to review this classic yet modern rig that has far exceeded the test of time.
Working with only a home brew 4 band wire beam (With Small Pistol !) at 25 feet (photo on QRZ.com) we now have 290 dxcc countries.
I purchased a year 2k2 model and even without the the D options, for build, design, layout, SSB performance and ease of operation – it takes some beating. Incidentally I have had or tried the IC706/746/756pro – TS50/450/870/2000/950s- Ftone/707/747/757/817/847/990/1000mp.
TX audio tailoring is simply achieved via “bog” standard mic`s with Heil hc4 / hc5 inserts.
Couple this together the 200watts, dual receive, amazing auto ATU, razor sharp crystal clear selectivity and a notch filter that really works !! and what do you have ? –
a “pile up buster” for SSB DX

“The Best of the Best”. Maybe ?
vy 73 Phil de G0WSP (With Small Pistol)

AC5XP Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2002 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an FT-1000 when it just came out (this was in Europe where the "D" features were optional but apart from that is is the same design as the FT-1000D)
It was a good radio , but it gave up on me after about half a year during an AMTOR QSO (AMTOR was polular before the PACTOR days). After some analysis it turned out that the rapid TX-RX switching needed for the AMTOR mode had caused a collector resistor to give out in the driver stage of the PA, which I fixed. After that it worked fine again.
FYI, I never return defect radios to the manufacturer, even when there is still warranty. Call me arrogant but I know I can do a MUCH better job on my expensive radios than some uninterested service technician!
Later, when I experimented with a magnetic loop antenna, the automatic antenna tuner gave out. This was probably my own fault, I forgot to turn off the ATU and the radio tried to tune a very high impedance at 200 watts which caused a very high RF voltage at the antenna connector. This on its turn shorted out an internal antenna overvoltage protector. In other words, do not try to tune awkward antenna VSWR's with this radio, it does not like it (most ham radios probably don't, hi)
But it was a good radio, built like a battleship and a very good receiver. It has a second, independent receiver but this one is quite compromized, not as good as the main one.
Call me weird, but one thing I really liked about this radio was the die-cast front panel. It was one of the reasons why I bought it! You do not see this any more on today's radios, I actually wonder if the FT-1000D's one can buy today actually still has this. It is probably also plastic by now...
Another real nice thing is the solid flywheel tuning knob and the smooth DDS tuning, without any digital "artifacts", as good as an analog VFO (it was the first radio with a DDS which was the main reason I bought it after my disappointing FT-767, see my other review there)
I do not own it any more, I liked the FT-990 more when it came out which made me sell the FT-1000 when someone made me a good offer
This radio is used about $1400 worth I would say if you can find a nice one. The only thing that was nice on the "D" model over this one was the high-stability oscillator, the rest of the "D" features are not that necessary so if you see a good FT-1000 for an acceptable price, don't let the absence of the "D" stop you!