Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000
Yaesu FT-1000 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $3200
Description: Excellent performer, almost identical to FT-1000D
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000.

AC5XP Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2002 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an FT-1000 when it just came out (this was in Europe where the "D" features were optional but apart from that is is the same design as the FT-1000D)
It was a good radio , but it gave up on me after about half a year during an AMTOR QSO (AMTOR was polular before the PACTOR days). After some analysis it turned out that the rapid TX-RX switching needed for the AMTOR mode had caused a collector resistor to give out in the driver stage of the PA, which I fixed. After that it worked fine again.
FYI, I never return defect radios to the manufacturer, even when there is still warranty. Call me arrogant but I know I can do a MUCH better job on my expensive radios than some uninterested service technician!
Later, when I experimented with a magnetic loop antenna, the automatic antenna tuner gave out. This was probably my own fault, I forgot to turn off the ATU and the radio tried to tune a very high impedance at 200 watts which caused a very high RF voltage at the antenna connector. This on its turn shorted out an internal antenna overvoltage protector. In other words, do not try to tune awkward antenna VSWR's with this radio, it does not like it (most ham radios probably don't, hi)
But it was a good radio, built like a battleship and a very good receiver. It has a second, independent receiver but this one is quite compromized, not as good as the main one.
Call me weird, but one thing I really liked about this radio was the die-cast front panel. It was one of the reasons why I bought it! You do not see this any more on today's radios, I actually wonder if the FT-1000D's one can buy today actually still has this. It is probably also plastic by now...
Another real nice thing is the solid flywheel tuning knob and the smooth DDS tuning, without any digital "artifacts", as good as an analog VFO (it was the first radio with a DDS which was the main reason I bought it after my disappointing FT-767, see my other review there)
I do not own it any more, I liked the FT-990 more when it came out which made me sell the FT-1000 when someone made me a good offer
This radio is used about $1400 worth I would say if you can find a nice one. The only thing that was nice on the "D" model over this one was the high-stability oscillator, the rest of the "D" features are not that necessary so if you see a good FT-1000 for an acceptable price, don't let the absence of the "D" stop you!