Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | LadderLoc Help

Reviews Summary for LadderLoc
LadderLoc Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $15
Description: A center insulator designed specifically for antennas that are fed with 450 Ohm window-type ladder line. Uses the webbing rather than the copper conductors to support the hanging weight of the line.

You can write your own review of the LadderLoc.

KB3NFM Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2017 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great for replacement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This Ladder-Loc was the perfect replacement center insulator for my damaged G5RV. The 450 Ohm line fits securely and the insulator is well made and should last for years. This insulator would be a great choice for antenna builders wanting to use ladder line.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Bought on whim 20 years ago, now proves its worth.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one at least 15 or more years ago, and threw it into a junk box, figuring that down the road I might someday need it. I also had a new Spiro AS-2 antenna I tried to use in Florida 7 or 8 years ago and had some problems with it, so I relegated the antenna to the same junk box. Well, now I live in SW Missouri, out in the country, and decided to totally rebuild the AS-2 antenna and see if I could get it to work properly, It's 70 feet long and has 80m loading coils halfway down each dipole leg and is fed with 450 ladderline. I used heavy 12 gauge hard drawn, pvc insulated wire to replace the original flimsy bare copper stranded wire it came with, and dug out the old Ladder loc. The original antenna used a cheap center insulator with the 450 ladderllne wrapped around it and soldiered. I substituted the Ladder Loc for that and with the replaced, heavy wire elements connected to the PVC pipe-enclosed loading coils, I hoisted the AS-2 up 50 feet into a walnut tree. Well, the antenna now does about as well as a full sized 130 foot dipole on 75 and loads perfectly with my PalStar tuner on all bands thru 6 meters. The Ladder Loc gives a deluxe, solid hold on the 450 ohm feedline and really makes this antenna a permanent installation. Only time will tell, but despite the fact that I have room for LONG antennas here, I am going to leave the 70 footer half size antenna up since it performs so well. The Ladder Loc lay in my junkbox for almost 20 years, but I knew that some day I would find a good use for it, and I have. It's well worth the little money it cost then or now. GOOD STUFF!

WB4SPT Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2015 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Close, but not quite.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A couple years experience with LadderLoc.
Pros: great design for holding the ladder line.
plastic is tough enough for the job.
Cons: shares an achilles heal with many other center insulator designs; that is, the antenna wires are forced into a single, fairly large hole, that leads the user into either back wrapping the conductor onto itself, or worse, taking several wraps and then soldering the result into the ladder line conductor. Either way, this causes point stress at the soldered connection (if using stranded), and flexing of the entire antenna to the feed conductor. It is easily solved with drilling 6 small holes.
Use a weave of the antenna conductor, back and forth through several holes. The resultant free wire will thereby have no stress and no motion. Crimp butt splice (or solder) to the feed conductor. You will be left with a much longer lasting install, not subjecting solder to fatigue failures. Do the same to the insulator end as well; using weaving, not a 180 degree bend around a single hole with back twisting.

NC4RT Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2008 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this product in two locations. It has worked well each time, lasting for 10+years.

66 feet of wire and some window line, with a tuner and a balun makes for a great wide band multiband QRP antenna.

NL7W Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2008 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Ladder-Loc = Excellence.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an 80-meter, 450-ohm dipole strung between the trees (at 50 ft.) in my front and back-yards here in windy Palmer, Alaska. It's been up now for four years without a hitch. The antenna and Ladder-Loc have withstood a minimum of 12 winter/spring windstorms of no less than 75 mph -- each sometime lasting for days on end. I wish my roof's peak shingles would last long...

Without the integrated and weighted pulley system to keep the antenna taut and flexible as the white birch trees sway, as well as the quality parts installed, like this Ladder-Loc and the Wireman's stranded, coated, 13 ga., copperweld wire, this antenna would have come down long ago.

Don't hesitate to use this product. Just be wary of soldering (heating) wires running through the unit -- make larger loops and keep the solder joints well away from the plastic when constructing, and/or "heatsink" the wire to keep the Ladder-Loc plastic cold.

All in all, an awesome design and well-made product.

73.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Oct 18, 2007 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Lasted 5 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna fell down after 5 years. The center hole had failed (just ate thru the plastic). The nice green color was bleached white by the sun. Put metal washers on the support hole, painted it, and gave it to a friend who has been using it for 2 years. The ladder line never failed in either case.
Reinforce the hole, probably last for ten years before the antenna falls down!

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2007 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Idea!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have it in the junction from my 450 Ohm Window line to the feed point of my "skywire loop" (274 foot loop, oriented horizontally). Made it thru a Michigan winter with no problems. Must be OK!

REMOVED_FORMER_AK1O_TONY Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Tough and Useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed the LadderLoc about 10 years ago on a 130' zepp after having several feedline conductor breakages. I recently dropped the antenna to replace the rope and LadderLoc and do an inspection. The LadderLoc is filthy and stained, and covered with spider webs but still strong as ever.

K7TCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2006 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine on a 130' dipole. It has been up for 6 years straight, at 70', between two 100' trees. I don't know why the wire or LadderLoc doesn't break -- it just stays up.

It is made of some kind of green plastic, so as with any plastic insulator, you use a heat sink between the solder joint and the LadderLoc.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2006 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a handy, easy to use device that should end problems with ladder line separating at the antenna.