Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-V17 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-V17
Alinco DJ-V17 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Waterproof 144MHz FM 5-watt Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJV17/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-V17.

GM4SVM Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2013 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Here is how to programme the memories  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The instruction manual tells you to store memories like this:

1. select frequency etc to be stored.
2. press the key A v/m mw.
3. press the Function key.
4. rotate dial to desired memory number.
5. press v/m mw and you will hear a beep.
the memory is now stored.

However step 4 does not work on a new radio just out of the box.

By default the memory function only shows memories that have something stored in them.
If you have none stored then all you will see is a list like this when you turn the dial:

rpALLFRQ > m0 > C

(or possibly even just rpALLFRQ > C)
so you will not be able to select any memories to store to.

To fix this turn the dial to the m0 or the C position and press the Function key again.
Now turn the dial and you should be able to scroll through all 200 memories and select one to store to.
Any that are empty will just show the VFO frequency.

This information is NOT in the Alinco instruction manual and is the reason people have so many problems with this radio. I have done a factory reset twice on mine and reprogrammed it this way. I am surprised the manual has not had an addendum sheet added as they have done for the change of company head office address.

As for the radio - I like it. Battery life is OK with battery saver enabled. The best thing about it is that it is very tough. It can take rough treatment and its cheap enough that you wouldn't worry about looking after it. The waterproofing is useful, but the down side of this is the special speaker/microphone connector they had to use.

Overall: If you want a basic handheld radio only for use as a handheld this is probably a good buy. If you want something that you will use in a car as well you would be better looking at other models.

KD0LWV Rating: 0/5 Feb 21, 2012 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Worst HT I have owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The programming instructions are written in Orwelian double speak. Free programming software is not worth 1/2 the price. Fails to communicate with the radio.
It doesn't weigh enough to use as an anchor for my kayak when fishing.Don't waste your time emailing Alinco about problems, they already have your money and don't care if they lose another of those pesky customers. Buy any of the cheap Chinese HT on ebay, you will be much better off.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2010 05:48 Send this review to a friend
It's worked flawlessly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've not had any problems with this rig over the last year+. The stock antenna is GREAT! Programming was similar to other HT's, which is always a bit frustrating, but that's the nature of programming any handheld unit.

N0IMD Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2010 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Frustrating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not impressed at all.

I purchased the DJ-V17T about 3 weeks ago. I can't get it programmed.

The instructions for programming memory channels don't seem to work. I've managed to get some in there, but only through trial and error. And when I get lucky and one sticks, I don't remember which of the 32 keystrokes got me there.

I see that Alinco offers a free download for programming software (no support) after I buy a $50 programming cable and a $20 microphone cable.

That really jacks up the price of this handheld.

Has anyone used this setup to program their radio?

N8FXH Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2009 12:39 Send this review to a friend
fixed it  Time owned: more than 12 months
The bad audio I was experiencing in 2007 ended up not being in the radio itself but in a defective battery. The battery was not bad enough to be obvious but after eliminating every thing else. The battery dropped a charge setting on my desk unused for a couple days. Replaced The EBP 65 with an EBP 66 and it immediately solved the problem. I would recommend to everyone buying this radio to by the bigger battery and lay the original on the shelf.

2E1GTZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2009 01:56 Send this review to a friend
well built solid handie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First impressions -
Well moulded very flexible antenna,
Cast metal chassis and backplate with good quality polycarbonate front plate,
Green backlit display with illuminated keypad,
Battery pack latches to radio securely using same style of catch as found on most current yaesu handies,
Nicely moulded and well fitting rubber jack covers.

Rig in use -
Gave the rig a good test after charging for 10 hours. Results comparable with my yaesu ft60 and kenwood th7.
Nice clear audio from large speaker.
Keys work well, nice ptt switch that is easy to keep pressed during long overs.
NOTE: standard battery is only 700mah , lower than most other manufacturers provide with current rigs , so run time is shorter.

Overall - a well made rig, waterproof , easy to use , 5 out of 5.

SV1ENS Rating: 3/5 Jun 24, 2008 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
General:
I recently swapped some idle shack equipment for a DJ-V17 to use while motorcycle mobile. My first impression was... wow this is both bigger and heavier than my VX-5 and IC-E7...

What triggered me to get this HT was the "waterproof" case which in the end of the day is more a hassle than a good thing.

RX/TX:
About average, nothing spectacular. RX seems to be a bit to the "tight" side.

Antenna:
I liked the antenna Alinco ships with this HT, it's very elastic and comfortable when HT is worn on the belt.

Case:
The DJ-V17 is supposed to be waterproof (I would call it water resistant) which makes it bigger in size and much heavier than it really needs to be. In addition the waterproof mic jack makes special bulky converters a necessity for the use of microphones, programming cables ect.

The lettering on the case is below average, very poor workmanship from the side of Alinco !
The beltclip is somewhat bulky but works well on thicker belts.

Battery:
Seems to do what it's supposed to do. No problems here. However, it does not provide a very good water tight fit to keep water away from the contacts.

Menus:
Nothing spectacular. Mosquito repellent option is missing, this was something I liked with older Alinco HTs.

Programming via PC:
If you live in a non US area, the free Alinco S/W will get mixed up with the decimal point and will crash. I changed the local settings to US setting in order for the S/W to work.

For programming I used my Icom cable but the EDS-10 converter was needed, another converter was needed to change the EDS-10 mini jack to the size of the programming cable...

Conclusion:
It's an average HT, and somewhat of a disappointment for what I was expecting from Alinco !

VE7AYZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2007 23:34 Send this review to a friend
ok unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good unit. No big complaints. I think Alinco especially on a newer generation of HT's needs to include auto repeater shift on their radios. They also need to include like most of the Yaesu units a voltage check function to give you an indication of how much juice is left. Something I find very handy when I need to hit the road for a bit and the radio has been on the same battery for most of the day. The battery icon that flashes is like most a waste of display.
The antenna is soft and ultra-flex. Very nice while on the belt! Doesn't dig into the ribs. Belt clip is average. Audio is fine. Oh... another thing Alinco? We need to have more of an option than a 30 minute APO. I like to leave my radios on for awhile and often walk away for a bit. It's nice to know that you can adjust auto power off for say 2 or 3 hours. 30 minutes only
doesn't cut it.

sean

WY7UPR Rating: 3/5 Nov 24, 2007 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig but lousy audio reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
Took awhile to figure out programming and repeater offset is a bit confusing but is a great little carry rig - have in my backpack to and from work to keep track of road conditions and emergencies. Get terrible audio reports, better if I hold away from mouth a fair distance. Still not a good situation. Am told audio is "hot" and distorted. Wouldn't buy another Alinco product.

VE7ITF Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2007 11:22 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: months
I have owned this radio for about 3 weeks. It's a nice looking well sculpted unit. The antenna is very soft and flexible so it makes for a nice belt carry. One feature I really enjoy is the PTT. It's very easy to depress on the thumb for winded qso's.
Issues some Amateurs have experienced with the audio have not been a problem and upon asking other operators for a report all is kosher!
The units typical tough body construction and stock battery pack attached makes for light and easy carry.
I use low pwr for 90 percent of my transmissions since I live fairly close to repeaters. Have used high pwr on occasion and the radio keeps it's cool.

Some things I have had to get used to or don't particularly like about it are...

No auto repeater shift

It becomes a tadd heavy and bulky with the optional battery case in use and takes a coin to the latch to remove it

The light is quite dismal and does light up the keys/display but not their functions.

Volume control on alinco's takes a bit of use to by having to push a button then turning a knob

The battery icon is a little funny in that it flashes empty on occasion when there is still 7.8 volts left still.

Overall though this is a neat handheld. Up in Canuck Land it is inexpensive and an easy to use simple featured radio.

Sean