Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 183 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

PA3GEG Rating: 2/5 Oct 5, 2017 03:15 Send this review to a friend
finals blown out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I liked the amplifier at the begining, but now after 10 months the power went doen I only have 300 watts now, likely one pair of mrf150 died. I have send it too my dealer and hope they willfixe it under warranty. Don't understand it, it always worked good, protection worked and I don't push it to hard, only 400 watts legal output here in The Netherlands. I will send an update as soon I will have it back.

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2017 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 2-2&1/2 yrs. Drive requirement is 28 watts on 30m to perhaps a high of 55 watts on another band or two, with average of
45-50, being quite sufficent. I don't generally like to push any amp very far into gain compression, so I'm quite happy with 400-500 watts on cw, where I operate mostly. This amp has been completely reliable and
and I have no complaints! For qsk lovers, I recommend the AD5X qsk mod. Very well engineered and executed, it is inexpensive to perform and adds protection against "hot switching" relay contacts.This amp represents a very good performance/value/price point.

N6DMR Rating: 2/5 Jul 14, 2017 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Finals Going Out - Way Too Common  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of the ALS-600 units. Both had finals fail, one unit failed twice in a few months. Poor design, insufficient cooling capability at the finals, way too hard to replace the finals and rating these at 600 Watts is pure advertising. They could be a nice unit for the price if they were somewhat reliable but the technology is inadequate for longevity.

KE4AMQ Rating: 1/5 Jul 14, 2017 13:31 Send this review to a friend
another bill  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is the second time the finals went out no more for me another 347.85

N0SQ Rating: 1/5 Apr 11, 2017 13:16 Send this review to a friend
kept going bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one of these several years ago and had to have it repaired under warranty 6 times before I decided to sell it. The poor performance has turned me off to solid state amplifiers. Maybe they work better today but I'm reluctant to buy another one from any manufacturer.

KD0ZGW Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2017 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this with the Ameritron auto band switch interface. 1st start up yielded a blown low voltage fuse. John from Ameritron was very helpful. Fuse was kind of buried so replacement could've been a lot easier. Amp operation has been fine and auto bandswitching is a real plus. Amp is more sensitive to SWR than I expected and it will fault out at anything over about 1.5. Overall a nice addition to my shack.

N4MU Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2016 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Takes a Licking and keeps on ticking!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been just a year since my initial review of this amp. I have relocated to Florida (retired now thank you) and use it as in my 12/12/2016 review. I have given it several opportunities to fight back but it just keeps on taking my abuse and so far at least I have had zero problems! I have added an automatic band switch and that takes care of one faux pas (not selecting the correct band) for me. I use it as necessary and 40 watts drive gets me about 450-500 watts output. I have accidentally driven it with up to 100 watts from the FT-450D and I immediately notice an increase in output power but the amp throttles it down...and I correct my transgression before another transmission. Def a keeper!

K9BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2016 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied owner  Time owned: more than 12 months
One complaint I have is to all those other hams who have for years bad mouthed MFJ and solid state amps. I had been using my ALPA until I relocated to a place where I did not have a 220 line. I did rewired the ALPH to operate on 120, of course at lower power. It was a manual tune model. Seems incredible the tubes still were operational but the idea of down sizing my shack was an objective. Sadly the web is chock full of negative reviews but I decided to try solid state AMP for its size and convenience. My only regret now is that I did not switch to a 600S sooner. Almost no Heat, little nose, and the only additional expense was a remote turner since my antenna system is temporary. I guess my poor hearing does not find the fan an issue when compared to my ALPA days. And the power unit is under the desk. My only regret is not going for the 1200 hundred model... but I need to have a 220 line installed. I will probably keep the ALPA as a backup and join the solid state world.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up review of my ALS-600S. So far, it has run flawlessly. No trips to Ameritron. No PA issues. I have owned the amp just a tad under two years now. It see's regular use on several bands.

I performed two mods on mine but that was personal choice, not a necessity. Other reviewers noted a noisy cooling fan and I agree. The stock fan worked fine, but it had an annoying hum from the vibration of solidly mounting it to the aluminum chassis. I cured this by replacing the fan with one using oil filled bearings and a special isolated mount. Other reviewers noted lower output on 80 meters. Mine also had this issue. Internet searching found info on how to fix this on the W1AEX web page. Simply replacing two capacitors on the filter board cures the issue. Now the amplifier does full output with the same drive on all bands.

I still give the amp a solid 5 because the mods are very simple and well within the abilities of any amateur worth his salt.Even without the mods, the amp is quite usable as is. It runs cool, very quiet, makes 500+ reliable watts all day long and you don't have to fiddle with it each time you change bands or frequency. And the best part, it won't heat your shack up like a pair of 3-500Z's grounded grid will. If you like to band hop, it's hard to beat one of these little desk top amps. It's almost like having a 600 watt transceiver.

WA0UAY Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the amp for a short time and will probably do a follow up review, but so far I am very impressed with this amplifier. I have had multiple other tube amps but it was time to try solid state. I have the amp hooked up to my Icom 7300 thru the ARI500 interface. Everything works beautifully. No band changes, no tuning. It is like having a 600 watt transceiver. So far I have no complaints and it all works beautifully. Only thing I would say is the fan on the amp could be just a touch quieter, but certainly is not objectional. This one has the switching power supply which has no noise at all. I have ran twice this power, but most often 4 or 500 watts is more than adequate. At this point and I hope it stays this way, I have no idea why anyone would give this amp anything less than a 5.