Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 174 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

KC8TLF Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2015 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Very happy after 3 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love mine. The only down side is the relays. The first time I had problems it was like I had disconnected the antenna. The relay inside doesn't' have a cover on like the other relays.After a quick cleaning I was back on the air. (I used a rubber band as I was told when I called Ameritron.)
The second and third year it wouldn't transmit. Cleaned the relay again and I was back on the air. I don't have pets or anything getting hairs in there so it's just dust build up. I did read others have had the same problem so I put a cover over it, as others have tried. Hopefully I can go longer than a year this time.
I really like the accessories like the ARI-500 and remote. (I haven't tried it yet but I just contacted them about which cable I need.) The only thing I could wish for is that you could buy a module to add QSK.

KE5SUE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2015 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I have had my als 600 for one year now and it has preformed great it does everything that ameritron said it would do. Out of the box until now it has worked great. I run it at about 400-500 watts but have pushed it to the 600 just to see if it would do what they said. If I get a new amp it will be the 1300 or 1306.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
All You Need  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over 2 years of rock solid service. Amp had to go back to Ameritron, but John took care of the problem and had it back in 2 weeks. Service is outstanding. I've thought about upgrading for more watts, but I don't need any more. If you need more watts, maybe you need a new Antenna!!!! I have waited over 2 years to give this amp a "real review". K1N Dexpedition this amp had a workout like never before. I was actually getting worried I would blow it up with constant 600 watts CW. Still working!!!!

W6MVS Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2015 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Good   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amp with the linear power supply new from DX Engineering. When the unit arrived, I noticed a little superficial damage to the power connector and reported it to DX Engineering. When I tried to set up the ALC, although the green transmit light came on, on the amp, it was only passing the radio's power, not amplifying it. I powered it down and up and then it began working and I was able to adjust the ALC. I was able to make some contacts later that day. However, the next time I tried to use it, it again just passed the radio's power. I contacted DX Engineering and they immediately arranged to pick up the Amp and power supply and also immediately shipped a replacement. The replacement came before the one I returned, still in transit, made it back to DX Engineering.

When I opened the box it suddenly became clear to me that the original Amp that was sent was probably a used amp that someone had returned to Ameritron. The way the replacement amp was packed was clearly better and the fuses were not inserted yet into the power supply. The original amp already had the fuses inserted. That was another indication that the first amp wasn't new. I don't believe DX Engineering knowingly shipped a used amp...I think it was Ameritron.

Anyway, the new Amp has been working flawlessly and it really helps me punch through the pile ups. One of the contacts I made on the other side of the country recorded my transmission an played it back to me. It sounded great! The amp does what is supposed to and does it well.

So why am I rating this amp a 5 even though the first one was basically DOA? I order many things for another hobby I have and I know that quality control is always an issue. Usually 1 out of every 4 things I order has an issue. As long as the return and replacement process is smooth and doesn't cost me any additional money, I'm okay with it.

I feel that these reviews should be about how well the product works. And now that I have a truly new Amp, it is working very well. I also have the 10/12 meter mod installed and using the auto band switching remote.

To install the 10/12 meter mod you have to open up the amp and the construction, soldering, etc., all looks very good. So far so good. If there are any issues with the amp down the road, I will update my review.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My ALS600 puts out about 600-700 watts with 50 watts drive from my Kenwood TS-590S. What a difference having an amp has made on the lower noisy bands! I get reports from stations 600-800 miles away with consistent S9+20 reports on 40 meters and a humble G5RV JR. Running barefoot in these conditions would result in stations missing parts of the conversation before closing down in frustration. The amp looks like it was put together in someones garage and the screw holes didn't align on my amp but the bottom line is that it works for me. It's compact and the linear power supply is heavy. I only fiddle with the tuner and the amplifier supplies a clean clear signal without too much fuss. That's all I want it to do. I recommend it.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a used ALS-600 with linear power supply about 6 months ago.It was wired for 220v and I had it changed to 120v since I didnít want to spend the money to wire in a 220 outlet.So far I have used it on all but 160 meters without a glitch. I drive it with 40 watts from my Yaesu FT-950 and average about 350-400 watts out on most of the bands I frequent.(I pushed it to 700 watts briefly once just to see what it would do with 100 watts driving it) I have an LDG Pro 600 auto tuner between the amp and my less than perfect G5RV inverted vee antenna and can pretty much work any band I want.(17 meters is a little tough with a G5RV) However, since my 3 element 10 meter yagi yields 1.2 to 1 SWR on 10 meters I get a little more power from the amp with the same input drive and bypassing the tuner. Personally I love it because itís almost idiot proof and that is exactly what a non-technical idiot like me needs. The built-in safeguards have been extremely valuable since I switch bands often and usually forget to change the band setting on the amp. To be perfectly honest, if it blew up today Iíd order a new one just like it.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 4 years and its been great on all bands. No problems at all!! 50 watts in, I get 500 out, 100 watts in I get near 650. The only thing I had a issue with was the fan noise (I run it at 70 watts inout most of the time). I cured that by upgrading the fans and now its near silent moving just as much air........... I have listed the fans needed below. Both fans are a bolt in only the power supply fan need to tap off 12 volts. The power supply fan is a 120 volt fan for some reason. The amp fan is a 12 volt. The tap for 12 volts in the power supply is right in front near the filter cap, in back of the meter. They both work great! No more fan noise in the background on the air.

F8 - 80 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan

ARCTIC F12 PRO - 120mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Low Noise Case Fan with Unique Anti-Vibration System

WA2HLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2015 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ALS 600 is driven by a Kenwood TS 590; the amp connects to a Hex Beam mounted at 30 feet.
The 10/12 meter mod was easy - just take off the cover and put the small board onto the amp using the screws already in the unit.

Amp plugs right into 120 VAC.

My station is close to the Atlantic ocean and I have had solid contacts with the amp. Pretty much, if I can hear the station I can work them.

Overall, great amp and recommend highly!

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Setup up the amp with my FLEX 6500 and the ARI-500 works like a champ.

KC1I Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with my TS590s and the ARI500 remote switch interface. This setup is so slick. Works flawlessly with the rig. The hi swr protection circuit works perfect. 450w cw on 80(lowest output) and 650w plus on 17m. Average is 550 cw. The meter works nicely and the fan is reasonably quit. The power supply in on the floor out of the way, and the RF deck uses less footprint the the 590. I love tube amps, but when you bend hop, SS is the best way to go. Its like having a 600w radio.