Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 178 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

W5LD Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2016 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this amp new in Sept 2015 and had to send it back in to Ameritron in Feb 2016 for warranty issue. Was told by Ameritron when I spoke with them that the turn around time would be 2 to 3 weeks. They have had my amp for approx. 4 weeks and when I spoke with them today the tech said he MIGHT get to it late next week which will make it 5 weeks. I asked him to send me a new amp and was told they didn't have any ALS-600s to send me. I loved the amp the short time it worked but their Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired!!!

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Never had any issuers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my ALS600 used and have been operating it for about 2 years now. The amp has saved me a few times when I forgot to change the band switch! Yes I admit to doing that.

The previous owner sent me a "setup sheet" along with the amp that is slightly different than the manufacturer instructions. Once setup I have never altered any settings.

I use it almost daily with my Flex 3000, and my Icom 7000. Absolutely no issues to report.

WK2X Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Great 'starter amp'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my brand new ALS-600 for a couple days now, and it's the first amp I've ever used. I've come to greatly appreciate its protection features, since I've made a few absent-minded mistakes, like forgetting to let the auto-tuner do its thing with the amp in standby, or forgetting to switch the band switch, etc.. The amp detects those conditions and automatically puts itself into bypass mode to keep you from damaging it. As I get used to having an amp, these incidents should decrease.

It takes about 45-60w to drive the amp to full power. I keep the drive a little low so as not to trip the ALC, preferring to let the exciter handle that stuff.

What a difference 500-600w makes in a pileup! Wow!! My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

N4MU Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Just Perfect in the RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using mine with an FT-450D for a month or so now and am very pleased with operation. I have the transceiver in the bedroom of our fifth wheel and the amplifier/linear power supply is right below (in the "basement" cubbie). I ran appropriate AC and RF cables and can turn the transceiver power supply on/off and the amp AC on/off separately via two regular AC switches mounted on the side of the bureau (ops table). The amp is put on line via the MFJ remote (ALS-500 RC) and I have the MFJ remote reading wattmeter/SWR meter right next to it. It all works perfectly with the Tarheel 300 on the RV ladder. Rig is very compact. I have had very good results using this setup...I am always answered when I call a station. It just works! My only problem is that I don't get to watch the amp/ps meters...LOL BTW, This is used as a stationary install. We are not traveling but even if we wanted to the only alteration would be the antenna mount. Because we are stationary I have also run a completely separate power (20A) line from the RV park power pedestal to the rig/amp. This keeps the RV systems out of the mix, etc. Very pleased!

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been thinking about a different amplifier for over a year, have a SG500 since 2009 had good results using resistant dipoles, but going through a AT-AUTO there was a problems with tripping with the SG500 (sometimes). The ALS600s has taken care of all that! 400 to 500+watts
output. With using the ARI it tracks the radio an my AT-AUTO wonderfully so when I need 2S units its right there at the flip of a switch, the internal fan in the AS600s generate little noise, called MFJ about hookup connections an to check myself
before I turned on the power, they went over everything with me to set my mind at easy.........kb6hrt

KC8TLF Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2015 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Very happy after 3 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love mine. The only down side is the relays. The first time I had problems it was like I had disconnected the antenna. The relay inside doesn't' have a cover on like the other relays.After a quick cleaning I was back on the air. (I used a rubber band as I was told when I called Ameritron.)
The second and third year it wouldn't transmit. Cleaned the relay again and I was back on the air. I don't have pets or anything getting hairs in there so it's just dust build up. I did read others have had the same problem so I put a cover over it, as others have tried. Hopefully I can go longer than a year this time.
I really like the accessories like the ARI-500 and remote. (I haven't tried it yet but I just contacted them about which cable I need.) The only thing I could wish for is that you could buy a module to add QSK.

KE5SUE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2015 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I have had my als 600 for one year now and it has preformed great it does everything that ameritron said it would do. Out of the box until now it has worked great. I run it at about 400-500 watts but have pushed it to the 600 just to see if it would do what they said. If I get a new amp it will be the 1300 or 1306.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
All You Need  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over 2 years of rock solid service. Amp had to go back to Ameritron, but John took care of the problem and had it back in 2 weeks. Service is outstanding. I've thought about upgrading for more watts, but I don't need any more. If you need more watts, maybe you need a new Antenna!!!! I have waited over 2 years to give this amp a "real review". K1N Dexpedition this amp had a workout like never before. I was actually getting worried I would blow it up with constant 600 watts CW. Still working!!!!

W6MVS Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2015 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Good   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amp with the linear power supply new from DX Engineering. When the unit arrived, I noticed a little superficial damage to the power connector and reported it to DX Engineering. When I tried to set up the ALC, although the green transmit light came on, on the amp, it was only passing the radio's power, not amplifying it. I powered it down and up and then it began working and I was able to adjust the ALC. I was able to make some contacts later that day. However, the next time I tried to use it, it again just passed the radio's power. I contacted DX Engineering and they immediately arranged to pick up the Amp and power supply and also immediately shipped a replacement. The replacement came before the one I returned, still in transit, made it back to DX Engineering.

When I opened the box it suddenly became clear to me that the original Amp that was sent was probably a used amp that someone had returned to Ameritron. The way the replacement amp was packed was clearly better and the fuses were not inserted yet into the power supply. The original amp already had the fuses inserted. That was another indication that the first amp wasn't new. I don't believe DX Engineering knowingly shipped a used amp...I think it was Ameritron.

Anyway, the new Amp has been working flawlessly and it really helps me punch through the pile ups. One of the contacts I made on the other side of the country recorded my transmission an played it back to me. It sounded great! The amp does what is supposed to and does it well.

So why am I rating this amp a 5 even though the first one was basically DOA? I order many things for another hobby I have and I know that quality control is always an issue. Usually 1 out of every 4 things I order has an issue. As long as the return and replacement process is smooth and doesn't cost me any additional money, I'm okay with it.

I feel that these reviews should be about how well the product works. And now that I have a truly new Amp, it is working very well. I also have the 10/12 meter mod installed and using the auto band switching remote.

To install the 10/12 meter mod you have to open up the amp and the construction, soldering, etc., all looks very good. So far so good. If there are any issues with the amp down the road, I will update my review.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My ALS600 puts out about 600-700 watts with 50 watts drive from my Kenwood TS-590S. What a difference having an amp has made on the lower noisy bands! I get reports from stations 600-800 miles away with consistent S9+20 reports on 40 meters and a humble G5RV JR. Running barefoot in these conditions would result in stations missing parts of the conversation before closing down in frustration. The amp looks like it was put together in someones garage and the screw holes didn't align on my amp but the bottom line is that it works for me. It's compact and the linear power supply is heavy. I only fiddle with the tuner and the amplifier supplies a clean clear signal without too much fuss. That's all I want it to do. I recommend it.