Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 183 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

N4KS Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2016 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Good amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this little amp. It has plenty of headroom and runs cool at its rated output. Good flexibility; I have the power supply on the floor and the amp on the desk. Very quiet. I am 99% CW and have the AD5X QSK mod in mine; highly recommend it over the stock, slow, noisy open frame relay. I am favorably impressed with Ameritron's design and workmanship. No more tube amps for me!

N1MLO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Protects me from myself  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the fence as whether to get the AL 811 or the ALS 600. Being the cheapest human on the planet I was leaning towards the tube model.

I ended up buying a used ALS 600 for roughly the same price as a new AL 811. After committing every blunder possible with my new amp thank goodness I bought the SS unit. I probably would be through 2 or 3 sets of tubes by now.

It sits on my desk as quiet as a mouse. Plugs into a standard socket and looks like a piece of ham gear. Very happy with the amp and the extra signal punch it provides.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Still a Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up review after several years of use. After many, many times of being on the wrong band, high SWR, or no antenna connection the protection circuitry always saves the amp. The design of this protection circuitry is top notch.

But, during a two-hour net as NCS, I noticed my output was no longer around 500W put 80W, where the power was set on my radio. Couldn't figure out what happened until I touched the case of the amp and found it very hot. Wow, the fan in the amp went out and stopped moving any air through the case.

But, the amp also has protection if the heat sinks become too hot. I opened the case and found a bad fan. Ordered the exact fan from Mouser, installed it, and I am back on the air.

Bravo for a very robust amplifier that just continues to perform year after year.

NV8G Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my ALS-600 for nearly 3 years now. I have it connected to my Kenwood TS-590S. I've had absolutely NO trouble whatsoever with the amp. I live in a HOA restricted neighborhood and have no outdoor antennas. My antennas are HB double bazookas in my attic. So, needless to say, I am not going to use much power with those antennas right over my head. So, I didn't need a very powerful amp to do what I wanted. My goal was to have 100 watts output, with my radio set as low as possible, (10 or 15 watts) so my radio wouldn't have to work very hard. The ALS-600 has been perfect for this. I cruise along all day long with my radio set to 10 or 15 watts and the ALS-600 gives me a very clean 100 watts out when driven that way. So, I ended up with a radio and an amp that are both set to low power and neither one of them is working very hard. That was my goal, and I achieved it with this setup.

N9GUU Rating: 1/5 Mar 30, 2016 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Followup Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I should have written this review back in late 2014 but I didn't - no excuse...This was a GREAT amp for the first 5 months I had it (see my August 2014 review). One day while in the shack, with the amp on in standby - it just started to snap, crackle, and pop! Smoke everywhere, smoke detector in the house went off (wife really liked that). I called DX Engineering and they weren't interested in anything other than telling me to cal MFJ. MFJ said sounds like the main PA board - he said "that happens sometimes" WHAT? I sent it in to MFJ and it came back repaired in about 3 weeks. After about 3 weeks it did the same thing again - MJF repaired it again but this time it took about 5 weeks.
Anyway - I got rid of the ALS600 and now just have my AL811H - until Dayton - Thinking of a KAP500.

W5LD Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2016 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this amp new in Sept 2015 and had to send it back in to Ameritron in Feb 2016 for warranty issue. Was told by Ameritron when I spoke with them that the turn around time would be 2 to 3 weeks. They have had my amp for approx. 4 weeks and when I spoke with them today the tech said he MIGHT get to it late next week which will make it 5 weeks. I asked him to send me a new amp and was told they didn't have any ALS-600s to send me. I loved the amp the short time it worked but their Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired!!!

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Never had any issuers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my ALS600 used and have been operating it for about 2 years now. The amp has saved me a few times when I forgot to change the band switch! Yes I admit to doing that.

The previous owner sent me a "setup sheet" along with the amp that is slightly different than the manufacturer instructions. Once setup I have never altered any settings.

I use it almost daily with my Flex 3000, and my Icom 7000. Absolutely no issues to report.

WK2X Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Great 'starter amp'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my brand new ALS-600 for a couple days now, and it's the first amp I've ever used. I've come to greatly appreciate its protection features, since I've made a few absent-minded mistakes, like forgetting to let the auto-tuner do its thing with the amp in standby, or forgetting to switch the band switch, etc.. The amp detects those conditions and automatically puts itself into bypass mode to keep you from damaging it. As I get used to having an amp, these incidents should decrease.

It takes about 45-60w to drive the amp to full power. I keep the drive a little low so as not to trip the ALC, preferring to let the exciter handle that stuff.

What a difference 500-600w makes in a pileup! Wow!! My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

N4MU Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Just Perfect in the RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using mine with an FT-450D for a month or so now and am very pleased with operation. I have the transceiver in the bedroom of our fifth wheel and the amplifier/linear power supply is right below (in the "basement" cubbie). I ran appropriate AC and RF cables and can turn the transceiver power supply on/off and the amp AC on/off separately via two regular AC switches mounted on the side of the bureau (ops table). The amp is put on line via the MFJ remote (ALS-500 RC) and I have the MFJ remote reading wattmeter/SWR meter right next to it. It all works perfectly with the Tarheel 300 on the RV ladder. Rig is very compact. I have had very good results using this setup...I am always answered when I call a station. It just works! My only problem is that I don't get to watch the amp/ps meters...LOL BTW, This is used as a stationary install. We are not traveling but even if we wanted to the only alteration would be the antenna mount. Because we are stationary I have also run a completely separate power (20A) line from the RV park power pedestal to the rig/amp. This keeps the RV systems out of the mix, etc. Very pleased!

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been thinking about a different amplifier for over a year, have a SG500 since 2009 had good results using resistant dipoles, but going through a AT-AUTO there was a problems with tripping with the SG500 (sometimes). The ALS600s has taken care of all that! 400 to 500+watts
output. With using the ARI it tracks the radio an my AT-AUTO wonderfully so when I need 2S units its right there at the flip of a switch, the internal fan in the AS600s generate little noise, called MFJ about hookup connections an to check myself
before I turned on the power, they went over everything with me to set my mind at easy.........kb6hrt