Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 176 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

WA2HLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2015 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ALS 600 is driven by a Kenwood TS 590; the amp connects to a Hex Beam mounted at 30 feet.
The 10/12 meter mod was easy - just take off the cover and put the small board onto the amp using the screws already in the unit.

Amp plugs right into 120 VAC.

My station is close to the Atlantic ocean and I have had solid contacts with the amp. Pretty much, if I can hear the station I can work them.

Overall, great amp and recommend highly!

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Setup up the amp with my FLEX 6500 and the ARI-500 works like a champ.

KC1I Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with my TS590s and the ARI500 remote switch interface. This setup is so slick. Works flawlessly with the rig. The hi swr protection circuit works perfect. 450w cw on 80(lowest output) and 650w plus on 17m. Average is 550 cw. The meter works nicely and the fan is reasonably quit. The power supply in on the floor out of the way, and the RF deck uses less footprint the the 590. I love tube amps, but when you bend hop, SS is the best way to go. Its like having a 600w radio.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2015 07:29 Send this review to a friend
nice little amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
so far so good. tried two of these new back in 2005 had problems with both of them and sent back to HRO. move forward to 2014. my SGC 500 went south on me about six weeks ago. Thought I would give Ameritron another try. This time I got a good one. No problems.. I ordered the one with traditional linear power supply. It's working well for me. 50 watts drive giving me 500 to 600 watts depending upon band. I am happy so far. Just installed the 10 meter board.It's working just fine. Build quality seems good.so far no problems. I'm Happy with this amp.

KJ7MX Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Great so far!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've only had the amp a few months. I upgraded my radio to an IC-7600 and bought the amp at the same time. When I unboxed it the power connector from the PS had been destroyed in shipping. HRO immediately sent a replacement amp (whole new rf deck & supply) with prepaid return postage for the damaged unit. Excellent service! The 2nd unit was perfect. Once the ALC was set everything was good to go! I installed the 10 meter mod which was super easy. It took longer to remove the enormous number of cabinet screws than it did to pop the unit in.

I'm driving it with around 60-70 watts out of the Ic-7600 and it's giving me around 500-550 out on CW. The fan is a little loud but not much worse than the 30L-1 I had. So far so good!

KD7DDT Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first review for this AMP. I am new to Ham radio (general in October 2014) and needed an amp to get me out in the radio waves. Easy setup, was on the air within 30 minutes. Will have more of a review after I learn the amp more. I would recommend a buy if you need a good amp.

WB4HRH Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2014 11:44 Send this review to a friend
ALS600 Problem/ FIX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a new ALS600 a couple of weeks ago from Gigaparts. The reflected power meter did not work. After getting nowhere with MFJ, I saw the post by Rich KE4ZHN describing the same issue and identifying the problem. The cover screw (front left, 2 back) was shorting out the board that provides the signal to the meter.

After pushing the issue with MFJ management, I received a call from their customer service tech. It seems that they changed the cover of the ALS600 in this latest batch and it is thinner than the original. They are sending me another cover.

If you have a similar issue. i suggest you contact MFJ and mention my post.

Thanks again to Rich for identifying the cause of this problem.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 14:25 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my ALS-600S new from Giga Parts a couple of weeks ago. Their service was prompt. Received the amp in perfect shape. I really like this little amplifier so far. It easily puts out its rated power with about 50-60 watts of drive. Setting up the ALC was easy. Why some are having trouble I do not know. My particular amp had one minor issue that I fixed myself. On the left side of the cover (looking from the front) the second screw on the bottom edge from the front panel was just long enough to short a cap in the metering circuit. This caused the reflected meter not to work. Once I figured out what was wrong the meter started to work fine.

The amp runs quiet and very cool. Even after extended rag chews it runs cool to the touch. The ability to change bands in an instant makes this a real nice amp for chasing DX. I replaced an SB220 with this little amp and will never look back. The power supply is silent and barely runs warm and I detect no RF hash from it on any band. The meter is pretty accurate and I like the led lighting instead of bulbs that always burn out. This amp runs beautifully with my MFJ998 auto tuner on the doublet. Instant band and frequency changes are making my operating time a lot more enjoyable.

N8LU Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this amp and associated power supply since November of 2000. I just experienced my first repair; the lamp burned out on the amplifier meter. I am replacing the lamp with a LED. So, because I am 72 years old, I should never have to do that repair again!!

This is a great little amp that is easy to operate.

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 05:56 Send this review to a friend
So far it is great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this amp for a couple of months, so I have to wait a few years to really know how it performs in the long run, but so far it is a joy to operate. I have owned many tube amps in the past so that is all I can compare it to. I actually like it better than any tube amp I have had. I really like not re-tuning every time I change bands. It is very quiet, its output is greater than claimed and it performs exactly as it is suppose to. All of the safety faults are greatly appreciated and have saved me a few times. I am a net control for a couple of 40 meter nets and this amp gives me enough power (about an S unit) to get over the noise. I believe this will be a long term keeper.