Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 170 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My ALS600 puts out about 600-700 watts with 50 watts drive from my Kenwood TS-590S. What a difference having an amp has made on the lower noisy bands! I get reports from stations 600-800 miles away with consistent S9+20 reports on 40 meters and a humble G5RV JR. Running barefoot in these conditions would result in stations missing parts of the conversation before closing down in frustration. The amp looks like it was put together in someones garage and the screw holes didn't align on my amp but the bottom line is that it works for me. It's compact and the linear power supply is heavy. I only fiddle with the tuner and the amplifier supplies a clean clear signal without too much fuss. That's all I want it to do. I recommend it.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a used ALS-600 with linear power supply about 6 months ago.It was wired for 220v and I had it changed to 120v since I didnít want to spend the money to wire in a 220 outlet.So far I have used it on all but 160 meters without a glitch. I drive it with 40 watts from my Yaesu FT-950 and average about 350-400 watts out on most of the bands I frequent.(I pushed it to 700 watts briefly once just to see what it would do with 100 watts driving it) I have an LDG Pro 600 auto tuner between the amp and my less than perfect G5RV inverted vee antenna and can pretty much work any band I want.(17 meters is a little tough with a G5RV) However, since my 3 element 10 meter yagi yields 1.2 to 1 SWR on 10 meters I get a little more power from the amp with the same input drive and bypassing the tuner. Personally I love it because itís almost idiot proof and that is exactly what a non-technical idiot like me needs. The built-in safeguards have been extremely valuable since I switch bands often and usually forget to change the band setting on the amp. To be perfectly honest, if it blew up today Iíd order a new one just like it.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 4 years and its been great on all bands. No problems at all!! 50 watts in, I get 500 out, 100 watts in I get near 650. The only thing I had a issue with was the fan noise (I run it at 70 watts inout most of the time). I cured that by upgrading the fans and now its near silent moving just as much air........... I have listed the fans needed below. Both fans are a bolt in only the power supply fan need to tap off 12 volts. The power supply fan is a 120 volt fan for some reason. The amp fan is a 12 volt. The tap for 12 volts in the power supply is right in front near the filter cap, in back of the meter. They both work great! No more fan noise in the background on the air.

F8 - 80 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan

ARCTIC F12 PRO - 120mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Low Noise Case Fan with Unique Anti-Vibration System

WA2HLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2015 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ALS 600 is driven by a Kenwood TS 590; the amp connects to a Hex Beam mounted at 30 feet.
The 10/12 meter mod was easy - just take off the cover and put the small board onto the amp using the screws already in the unit.

Amp plugs right into 120 VAC.

My station is close to the Atlantic ocean and I have had solid contacts with the amp. Pretty much, if I can hear the station I can work them.

Overall, great amp and recommend highly!

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Setup up the amp with my FLEX 6500 and the ARI-500 works like a champ.

KC1I Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with my TS590s and the ARI500 remote switch interface. This setup is so slick. Works flawlessly with the rig. The hi swr protection circuit works perfect. 450w cw on 80(lowest output) and 650w plus on 17m. Average is 550 cw. The meter works nicely and the fan is reasonably quit. The power supply in on the floor out of the way, and the RF deck uses less footprint the the 590. I love tube amps, but when you bend hop, SS is the best way to go. Its like having a 600w radio.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2015 07:29 Send this review to a friend
nice little amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
so far so good. tried two of these new back in 2005 had problems with both of them and sent back to HRO. move forward to 2014. my SGC 500 went south on me about six weeks ago. Thought I would give Ameritron another try. This time I got a good one. No problems.. I ordered the one with traditional linear power supply. It's working well for me. 50 watts drive giving me 500 to 600 watts depending upon band. I am happy so far. Just installed the 10 meter board.It's working just fine. Build quality seems good.so far no problems. I'm Happy with this amp.

KJ7MX Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Great so far!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've only had the amp a few months. I upgraded my radio to an IC-7600 and bought the amp at the same time. When I unboxed it the power connector from the PS had been destroyed in shipping. HRO immediately sent a replacement amp (whole new rf deck & supply) with prepaid return postage for the damaged unit. Excellent service! The 2nd unit was perfect. Once the ALC was set everything was good to go! I installed the 10 meter mod which was super easy. It took longer to remove the enormous number of cabinet screws than it did to pop the unit in.

I'm driving it with around 60-70 watts out of the Ic-7600 and it's giving me around 500-550 out on CW. The fan is a little loud but not much worse than the 30L-1 I had. So far so good!

KD7DDT Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first review for this AMP. I am new to Ham radio (general in October 2014) and needed an amp to get me out in the radio waves. Easy setup, was on the air within 30 minutes. Will have more of a review after I learn the amp more. I would recommend a buy if you need a good amp.

WB4HRH Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2014 11:44 Send this review to a friend
ALS600 Problem/ FIX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a new ALS600 a couple of weeks ago from Gigaparts. The reflected power meter did not work. After getting nowhere with MFJ, I saw the post by Rich KE4ZHN describing the same issue and identifying the problem. The cover screw (front left, 2 back) was shorting out the board that provides the signal to the meter.

After pushing the issue with MFJ management, I received a call from their customer service tech. It seems that they changed the cover of the ALS600 in this latest batch and it is thinner than the original. They are sending me another cover.

If you have a similar issue. i suggest you contact MFJ and mention my post.

Thanks again to Rich for identifying the cause of this problem.