Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 158 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

VA3YG Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my ALS-600S from DX Engineering and was very happy with the buying experience there.

The amp was shipped via FedEx Ground and arrived to my QTH undamaged and worked great right out of the box. So simple to set up after owning an AL-80BX for many years and loving it as well.

I loaf the amp along at about 400 watts and receive excellent audio and signal reports using my Icom 756 as the exciter and a Palstar AT2K tuner. It's such a treat to not have to fuss with tuning a tube...... really quite slick.

The quality of construction is excellent, the fan is quiet, the controls all operate smooth, the meters are all brightly lit with LED bulbs, I find the meters to be quite accurate, the amp puts out full power as per specs and the amp is quite compact. I have no gripes about this amp at all; it fits my HF operation perfect.

Good job MFJ!

KD8QNC Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Very Good mid range solid state Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an used ALS-600 with the linear PS about two months ago. It was the newer model with the remote control ports, in great condition, and was only about a year old.

I was looking for an amp. that was quiet and would become an extension to my TRX functioning as though I had a 500-600 watt transceiver. After a few tweaks, I have exactly what I wanted. I run exclusively SSB using VOX and enjoy having voice controlled transmission.

My ALS-600 right out of the box (used) had an issue with the T/R relay and would not transmit consistantly. I cleaned the contacts on the T/R open frame relay and used some De-oxit and it worked as it should.

Using my old Kenwood TS-450s I would often get hot switching using VOX giving an overload fault on the ALS-600. UCK! I replaced the clunky stock T/R relay with the AD5X QSK relay kit which eliminated any hot switching using VOX with my old Kenwood.

The final step was to build a solid state relay control cable connecting the TS-450s to the amp relay connector. AD5X gave me a nice design using an NPN transistor (I used a PN2222)and an audio shielded RCA cable for both T/R relay and ALC connection.

Now the ALS-600 just cranks out 600-700 PEP on SSB with 60 watts drive and is quiet with no clicking relays or loud fans. I haven't used my tube amp. for quite a while. I love this set-up

K8CMO Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2014 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my ALS-600 for about 2 years, and I absolutely love it. I used it first with a Kenwood TS-590 and most recently with an Elecraft K3. My antenna is only a G5RV, but I have achieved DXCC Honor Roll with this amp. I use it mostly on CW but also on RTTY. I drive it with about 48-50 watts normally running on 110 volts, and it easily delivers 500-600 watts output on all bands.

KY3F Rating: 2/5 Mar 30, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
TR relay trouble  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The ALS/600 worked fine for 5 months and then it started giving me no output when I keyed the mike.
It started intermittently and then every time. I called Ameritron and the Tech was very nice.
He asked if I had a dog..... He said that people with animals in the house often have trouble with the large relay on the board. I think it's the 2 pole 2 throw TR relay. He said clean the relay and that will fix it.
I used a modified pencil eraser on the contacts and that fixed it for another 6 months.
Today, 6 months later,I had the same problem and the same fix. It looks like I'm going to have to do this every 6 months.
I don't have any animals in the house and there is no visible dust on the inside of the amp.
I rated the amp "Needs Help". An amp should not have any problems so soon.
Their 6 month turn around for repairs is keeping me from sending it back.

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure to Operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this amp just over a year and have had no issues. It's a pleasure to operate... select the band and start transmitting. Depending on the band it delivers an easy 5-600 watts with about 50-60 watts of drive. Does not get much easier. Only issue I have had is with my pea size brain forgetting to select the right antenna or band, then the ALS-600 kicks me out and reminds me what an idiot I am. Fans are a bit noisy but very acceptable.

N5RWK Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned my ALS-600 for about a month. The power supply/amplifier comes packaged very well. My unit worked perfectly out of the box, no problems at all. I added the 10/12m board, which was very easy to install.

I'm using it with a Yaesu FT-950 rig set at 40W output and a 6BTV vertical antenna. I have low enough SWR on 10-40m so I don't have any issues with overload faults. Just turn it on, select the band and you're ready to go. I haven't had any problems being heard, and often can get through a pile-up without making very many calls.

I bought the heavier transformer power supply version to save a few bucks, since I don't plan on moving it around much. Overall, very I'm satisfied with my ALS-600.

KF4OKF Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my ALS 600 last week and hooked it into the station. Using it with a Kenwood TS 950 SD and a Palstar AT4K tuner. This is my first amp and am very pleased with it . The amp was packaged very well and everything worked as advertised. 60 W out of the 950 gives 600W out. My DX score has gone from about 30 percent success rate to around 80 percent with the amp. The protection circuits work as advertised and help a Ham new to amps in case of high SWR or if you forget to switch bands. If you are considering an amp to increase your signal strength take a look at this amp - think you will be pleased with it. Thanks to Ameritron for producing a fine product.

WB0WQS Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Going strong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up the amplifier new a couple of months ago and driving it with an Icom 756PRO II. The Auto tuner is LDG-600Pro II. Using a ARB-704 to key the amp. Running mostly CW at 400+ watts, and have made a few contacts on SSB at higher Levels. I ordered the 10-12 mod kit (there are 2 different models btw) and installed it easily. I forgot to inspect the inside of the amplifier while it was opened up, as recommended - but everything seems fine. This is the ALS-600s with the solid state power supply. The amplifier is usually put into service after I have called a dx station several times and fail to get a response.
I am having fun with it.

K0OM Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just unpacked the amp yesterday and have been cruising the bands with it and it works as advertised. Looks like they have upgraded the meter lighting as it appears to be illuminated with a LED now.
Also have the ALS500M remote unit and as mentioned previously, the meter of the remote appears to be bridged to the main meter in the amp as it shows approximately 50 percent of the normal reading. Really no problem if you know about it. The lamp in the remote unit has not been changed to a LED.
Think I'm gonna like this thing.....

KL3IH Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 21:52 Send this review to a friend
It's not the product, it's the service (update)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This updates my 11/25/13 review. Since then, I talked with John in Ameritron's service department. Apparently, there was a minor issue with my new ALS-600 power supply that was quickly corrected. When asked if I took the cover off to inspect the unit, I said no. I did not want to invalidate the warranty. John, who was very patient and professional, explained that Ameritron is quite lenient and the warranty would be at risk only if customers attempt to modify their products. I could probably have solved the problem myself and saved a two-month wait.

Minutes after the power supply finally arrived at my QTH in rural Alaska, I hooked the ALS-600 up and got on the air. The unit is easy to operate and does the job as advertised. Signal reports are strong from all over. I look forward to working with the ALS-600 and reporting back in a few months, anticipating that I will be able to give it another 5/5 rating. My sense is that I made a great choice in purchasing an ALS-600, adding to the fine AL-811 I have at a second QTH.