Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-600
Ameritron ALS-600 Reviews: 187 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1299.99
Description: 600W Output Solid State Amplifier w /Power Supply on 100/110/120V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-600

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-600.

N4MU Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2016 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Takes a Licking and keeps on ticking!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been just a year since my initial review of this amp. I have relocated to Florida (retired now thank you) and use it as in my 12/12/2016 review. I have given it several opportunities to fight back but it just keeps on taking my abuse and so far at least I have had zero problems! I have added an automatic band switch and that takes care of one faux pas (not selecting the correct band) for me. I use it as necessary and 40 watts drive gets me about 450-500 watts output. I have accidentally driven it with up to 100 watts from the FT-450D and I immediately notice an increase in output power but the amp throttles it down...and I correct my transgression before another transmission. Def a keeper!

K9BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2016 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied owner  Time owned: more than 12 months
One complaint I have is to all those other hams who have for years bad mouthed MFJ and solid state amps. I had been using my ALPA until I relocated to a place where I did not have a 220 line. I did rewired the ALPH to operate on 120, of course at lower power. It was a manual tune model. Seems incredible the tubes still were operational but the idea of down sizing my shack was an objective. Sadly the web is chock full of negative reviews but I decided to try solid state AMP for its size and convenience. My only regret now is that I did not switch to a 600S sooner. Almost no Heat, little nose, and the only additional expense was a remote turner since my antenna system is temporary. I guess my poor hearing does not find the fan an issue when compared to my ALPA days. And the power unit is under the desk. My only regret is not going for the 1200 hundred model... but I need to have a 220 line installed. I will probably keep the ALPA as a backup and join the solid state world.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up review of my ALS-600S. So far, it has run flawlessly. No trips to Ameritron. No PA issues. I have owned the amp just a tad under two years now. It see's regular use on several bands.

I performed two mods on mine but that was personal choice, not a necessity. Other reviewers noted a noisy cooling fan and I agree. The stock fan worked fine, but it had an annoying hum from the vibration of solidly mounting it to the aluminum chassis. I cured this by replacing the fan with one using oil filled bearings and a special isolated mount. Other reviewers noted lower output on 80 meters. Mine also had this issue. Internet searching found info on how to fix this on the W1AEX web page. Simply replacing two capacitors on the filter board cures the issue. Now the amplifier does full output with the same drive on all bands.

I still give the amp a solid 5 because the mods are very simple and well within the abilities of any amateur worth his salt.Even without the mods, the amp is quite usable as is. It runs cool, very quiet, makes 500+ reliable watts all day long and you don't have to fiddle with it each time you change bands or frequency. And the best part, it won't heat your shack up like a pair of 3-500Z's grounded grid will. If you like to band hop, it's hard to beat one of these little desk top amps. It's almost like having a 600 watt transceiver.

WA0UAY Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the amp for a short time and will probably do a follow up review, but so far I am very impressed with this amplifier. I have had multiple other tube amps but it was time to try solid state. I have the amp hooked up to my Icom 7300 thru the ARI500 interface. Everything works beautifully. No band changes, no tuning. It is like having a 600 watt transceiver. So far I have no complaints and it all works beautifully. Only thing I would say is the fan on the amp could be just a touch quieter, but certainly is not objectional. This one has the switching power supply which has no noise at all. I have ran twice this power, but most often 4 or 500 watts is more than adequate. At this point and I hope it stays this way, I have no idea why anyone would give this amp anything less than a 5.

N4KS Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2016 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Good amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this little amp. It has plenty of headroom and runs cool at its rated output. Good flexibility; I have the power supply on the floor and the amp on the desk. Very quiet. I am 99% CW and have the AD5X QSK mod in mine; highly recommend it over the stock, slow, noisy open frame relay. I am favorably impressed with Ameritron's design and workmanship. No more tube amps for me!

N1MLO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Protects me from myself  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the fence as whether to get the AL 811 or the ALS 600. Being the cheapest human on the planet I was leaning towards the tube model.

I ended up buying a used ALS 600 for roughly the same price as a new AL 811. After committing every blunder possible with my new amp thank goodness I bought the SS unit. I probably would be through 2 or 3 sets of tubes by now.

It sits on my desk as quiet as a mouse. Plugs into a standard socket and looks like a piece of ham gear. Very happy with the amp and the extra signal punch it provides.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Still a Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up review after several years of use. After many, many times of being on the wrong band, high SWR, or no antenna connection the protection circuitry always saves the amp. The design of this protection circuitry is top notch.

But, during a two-hour net as NCS, I noticed my output was no longer around 500W put 80W, where the power was set on my radio. Couldn't figure out what happened until I touched the case of the amp and found it very hot. Wow, the fan in the amp went out and stopped moving any air through the case.

But, the amp also has protection if the heat sinks become too hot. I opened the case and found a bad fan. Ordered the exact fan from Mouser, installed it, and I am back on the air.

Bravo for a very robust amplifier that just continues to perform year after year.

NV8G Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my ALS-600 for nearly 3 years now. I have it connected to my Kenwood TS-590S. I've had absolutely NO trouble whatsoever with the amp. I live in a HOA restricted neighborhood and have no outdoor antennas. My antennas are HB double bazookas in my attic. So, needless to say, I am not going to use much power with those antennas right over my head. So, I didn't need a very powerful amp to do what I wanted. My goal was to have 100 watts output, with my radio set as low as possible, (10 or 15 watts) so my radio wouldn't have to work very hard. The ALS-600 has been perfect for this. I cruise along all day long with my radio set to 10 or 15 watts and the ALS-600 gives me a very clean 100 watts out when driven that way. So, I ended up with a radio and an amp that are both set to low power and neither one of them is working very hard. That was my goal, and I achieved it with this setup.

N9GUU Rating: 1/5 Mar 30, 2016 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Followup Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I should have written this review back in late 2014 but I didn't - no excuse...This was a GREAT amp for the first 5 months I had it (see my August 2014 review). One day while in the shack, with the amp on in standby - it just started to snap, crackle, and pop! Smoke everywhere, smoke detector in the house went off (wife really liked that). I called DX Engineering and they weren't interested in anything other than telling me to cal MFJ. MFJ said sounds like the main PA board - he said "that happens sometimes" WHAT? I sent it in to MFJ and it came back repaired in about 3 weeks. After about 3 weeks it did the same thing again - MJF repaired it again but this time it took about 5 weeks.
Anyway - I got rid of the ALS600 and now just have my AL811H - until Dayton - Thinking of a KAP500.

W5LD Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2016 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this amp new in Sept 2015 and had to send it back in to Ameritron in Feb 2016 for warranty issue. Was told by Ameritron when I spoke with them that the turn around time would be 2 to 3 weeks. They have had my amp for approx. 4 weeks and when I spoke with them today the tech said he MIGHT get to it late next week which will make it 5 weeks. I asked him to send me a new amp and was told they didn't have any ALS-600s to send me. I loved the amp the short time it worked but their Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired!!!