Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Reecom R-1650 NOAA WX RADIO with SAME & AM/FM RADIO with ALARM Help

Reviews Summary for Reecom R-1650 NOAA WX RADIO with SAME & AM/FM RADIO with ALARM
Reecom R-1650 NOAA WX RADIO with SAME & AM/FM RADIO with ALARM Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.99
Description: Actual Size: 203mm X 138mm X 47mm (8" X 5.43" X 1.85")

S.A.M.E. Features:

* Monitors up to 20 user selectable counties or ALL counties
* Defeat Siren Option to let users to suppress siren but display the alert message on the LCD
* 10 memories for Hazard / Weather events storage

* Event Alert Message and Effective Time Display on LCD at a Glance
* LCD Backlight Display

e.g.

Responding Alert Types:
- Child Abduction Emergency (Amber Alert)
- Tornado / Hurricane / Severe Thunder Storm /
- 911 Telephone Outage Warning
- Tropical Storm Warning / Watch
- Dust Storm Warning
- And More...
Indispensable in school, childcare centers, health care facilities, business and homes

* Alert level indicators for Warning, Watch or Statement

General Features:

* Digital PLL tuning all seven (7) NOAA channels from 162.4MHz to 162.55MHz
* 50 miles reception range
* Easy Programming with clear LCD icons indication
* Loud audio dual tone alert ( > 90dB loudness level)
* Time Function: built-in real time clock and auto-calendar
* UL listed AC / DC adapter
* Battery backup for more than 30 hours in alert standby mode when AC failure
* Four (4) AA batteries (6 Volt DC) operation and battery back-up
(Batteries Not Included)
* Low battery detection and indication.
* Built in AM/FM digital radio
* Automatically switches from AM/FM radio to All Hazard / Weather Alerts

External Jacks:

* External antenna jack for an even stronger signal in remote areas
* External alarm out socket / jack for other accessories (e.g. hearing / visually impaired, flashing light, in/outdoor siren / alarm).
* External audio output jack for real time NOAA broadcast through external audio power amplifier (for use in school / child center and other critical facilities)

AM/FM Digital Radio: With All Digital Operations!

* FM band: Digital PLL Tuning: 87.5MHz - 108MHz at 100KHz steps
* AM band: Digital PLL tuning: 530KHz - 1710KHz at 10KHz steps
* Digital Volume: Sixteen (16) adjustable levels
* Auto-station-search function / Preset Memory:
* The auto-tune feature scans all available radio frequencies and presets the stations to the strongest AM/FM signal. An internal memory can hold up to 10 radio frequencies, saving your time searching for your favorites.
* Intro-scan function: allows you to listen to each tuned station for a play period of up to 10 seconds
* Sleep timer: can be set from 1 minute to 1 hour 59 minutes continuously in one (1) minute steps

You can set the radio to automatically turn off so that you fall asleep to music and then later gently awaken you with news, music or alarm.

A back light in the display window switches on for viewing the display in the dark.

Time Functions:

* Digital Clock: 12-hour format
* Auto-Calendar / Weekday Display
* Dual Daily Alarms: Waking to AM, FM radio or alarms with Snooze.
* Sleep / Timer Function

One Year Warranty
More info: http://www.reecominc.com/index2.htm

You can write your own review of the Reecom R-1650 NOAA WX RADIO with SAME & AM/FM RADIO with ALARM.

WT3844 Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 12:16 Send this review to a friend
5 STARS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE HAD OR DO HAVE ABOUT EVERY WEATHER RECEIVER EVER MADE.THIS IS MY FIRST REECOM AND LET ME TELL YOU THIS IS THE BEST ALERT RADIO I HAVE EVER OWNED.I HAVE ONLY HAD IT A SHORT TIME HOWEVER IT PERFORMS FLAWLESSLY.I ONLY HAVE ONE SMALL COMPLAINT.THE UNIT SHOULD HAVE A VIEWING ANGLE ADJUSTMENT.OTHER THAN THAT ITS GREAT.I ORDERED 2 MORE SO I CAN COVER MY HOUSE ,PATIO,AND GARAGE.EASY TO SET UP AND USE.

WD4MTW Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2009 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Weather Alert Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning a Midland WR1000b for a few months, I realized that we needed a radio that can have the individual alerts selectively enabled or disabled. Too many alerts that had no significance to our immediate local area were triggering the radio's alarm. Looking at what was available at reasonable cost incorporating this feature, left the Reecom and Midland 300. Sweetening the deal was an on-line offer from a radio statio bring the price down to a level that I couldn't refuse. As the other reviewers mention, this company has a strange concept of direct sales and customer service. Had I not read the reviews, I might not have taken a chance faxing or sending in my credit information. Equally disturbing was the lack of any response either by e-mail or phone messages. After faxing in the order form, I was equally surprised to see the radio delivered within two days after faxing in the order by priority mail. As the others noted, the radio is not small and not suitable for wall or console mounting as the WR100 was. The manual is sparse and cryptic at times, but once you get into the programming flow, it's a moot point. While not exactly intuitive, you'll find your way around the radio in no time. I made up a chart of the alerts that I wanted to deselect the alarm and all of the local radio stations that I wanted to program in. No problems with the programming and once set up, the radio successfully received the weekly test and some admin tests, so all looked good. The radio section on mine is quite good. The few AM station and the FM stations are clearly heard with the unit's speaker. WX band is equally is on par with my Uniden BC785D scanner with a similar whip The keypad noise is not objectionable and reasonable as a tactile response. In short, it's a very good programmable SAME radio at a spectacular price. My only gripes are: Non-existant support from the company, not even an e-mail returned. Customer service is limited to sending the radio back for an exchange fee should there be any out of warranty issues (to be fair, Midland does the same.) Great radio for a good price and an excellent performer.

W3PCJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Much better then the last 4 I had.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had both the Reecom R-1630 and the R-1650 for about 2 weeks now. In the past 30 years we have had 4 Radio Shack (RS) models. So I can only compare the Reecom to the Radio Shack models. I was very surprised at how big and heavy they were. They were no harder to set up then the other SAME units I have had. I was disappointed though that it did not have a key slot in the back where I could put it on the wall.

I have the R-1630 hooked up to my outdoor scanner radio antenna and the R-1650 sitting next to the window facing the NOAA transmitter tower about 20 miles away. I also have my old RS model next to it. All 3 radios are set to receive all alerts as I wanted to see how well they did with both base antennas and the supplied out of the box antenna.

In the last 2 weeks there has been 2 alerts and 2 tests on Wednesdays. I have to say I was very surprised that the RS model only worked on the tests and did not work on the actual alerts. Both test days were nice days with a clear 5/5 signal. The 2 alerts were both on bad weather days with audio signal 3/5 with the supplied antenna and 5/5 with the one on the outdoor base antenna.

I was hoping to give my RS model to a friend of mine that lives in a trailer park but I think Iíll just get him a Reecom instead.

I will definitely recommend a Reecom to all my friends and family.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio, the reception and sound is better than that of my Kenwood handheld!
I selected this model that has the AM/FM radio figuring if there was a situation where we needed to take cover I could grab the unit and use it to hear local radio broadcast as well as the weather.
The previous reviewer mentioned that you cannot disable alert types, on my unit I can select which alerts generate an audible alert but all will show on the display. In Program 6 mode I can specify which alerts are allowed to wake me.
So, if I am not interested in being awakened in the middle of the night for an "Iceberg Warning" I can select it to not alert me for that. I could select it to not alert me for a Thunderstorm Watch but will alert me for a warning. There are like 48 of these individual entries you can enable or disable.
What you cannot do for example is to select it to generate an audible alert for say a Thunderstorm warning for two counties but only a watch for one. So if you say you do not want to be alerted for a Thunderstorm Watch, it is global across all the counties you select to monitor.
What I would like to see in the future is a to have daytime/nighttime selections of alerts. So during the day I can receive Watch alerts but at night I only want to hear Warnings. Since the unit already has a clock, memory functions I would imagine it would just be a firmware change to do that.
The AM reception is fair but FM is very good.
Although the speaker is relatively small, the case gives it a full range sound.
The unit is somewhat larger then it appears in the picture, look at the dimensions.
Very nice unit and is much better than my last one which did not have the SAME technology and would result in me turning it off after being woken in the middle of the night for things that were no interest to me.
I never heard of Reecom before but was pretty impressed with it. I ordered mine off of Ebay and was programming it 3 days later.

GEOGECKO Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2006 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice Features in a WX Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Customer Service: 3/5

As another reviewer of the R-1630 said, their customer service does leave a little bit to be desired. I tried twice to contact Reecom, once via their e-mail address, and the second time by a phone call, but got zero response from either. I was trying to get some additional information on the radio, and perhaps, an electronic copy of the manual...

Design: 5/5

I was torn between this model, and the Midland WR-300. The Midland seemed more like a mainstream product (designed by a well known company, with typical looks, etc), where as the Reecom while very well made, still lacks in the aesthetics department. The layout of the buttons, display, speaker, jacks, and antenna are excellent. I even found it interesting that the "ENTER" and "PROG" keys provide more than one function in the menu system, and the current function is called out on the right side of the display, next to the buttons. Nice job, for making the radio easy to program.

Quality of Construction: 5/5

The construction of the two radios I bought was perfect. I did not notice the LCD problem, nor the unleveled base, as another reviewer noted. Perhaps this has been fixed? Both of the radios that I have, have 4 rubber pads on the bottom, which the radio sits on. The LCD could have better backlighting though, it is green, and only lights from the bottom. It provides enough light to view the display, but there are better LCD's out there now.

Ease of Use: 5/5

I was a bit overwhelmed when I first got the radio out, and started playing with it. I looked through the manual though, and after about 10 minutes, I was able to program the WX radio without using the manual. The counties are put in using the codes, which is one of the things I didn't like about the Radio Shack model. Entering the county codes, could be easier, by setting only one digit at a time, instead of two, but the interface makes up for it, in that it can go through numbers rather fast if you hold the button down. Overall, I think the menu system is very easy to use.

Functionality: 4/5

One thing I was a little disappointed in, is that you cannot select individual "ALERT ENABLE/DISABLE" for each "Statement, Watch, Warning." I understand that the "Warnings" should not be disabled, which they cannot be, in most cases, for each of the other two, "Statement or Watch," you have to either ENABLE or DISABLE both. Not a big deal, but you may only be concerned about the Watch, and not the Statement. If memory serves me, there is also not a way to disable the Amber Alert, which could be annoying, if this happens sometime in the middle of the night.

It seems as though there was a firmware update at some point, but I'm not sure. The reason I say this, is because the radio displays some slightly different menus (or has extra wording), versus the pictures of the display in the manual.

Initially, I was disappointed in the reception of the radio signal. I'm not sure how clean the weather radio signal is supposed to be, but either the radio or the radio signal has a slight amount of background "noise" in it. It's not loud enough to prevent you from listening to it, but it could be annoying. Since I bought this radio as a WX radio, I wasn't too concerned with AM/FM reception. In fact, when I turned it on to FM, to my favorite station, I was dumbfounded to find that I wasn't listening to the radio station that is normally at that frequency. After playing around with it though, I found that having the antenna fully extended provided the WORST reception. When I only extended two sections of the antenna, both FM and WX reception improved?!

One thing that turned me off on the Midland, was the fact that everyone kept talking about the loud beep every time you press a button. Well, while the Reecom does not do that, it does have it's own, somewhat loud (but not that annoying), button press "click." I almost thought it was like the radio was just clicking because the backlight came on, but then after several button presses with it already on, realized what it was. It's the EXACT same sound as if you were applying power to a radio, or turning a mic on to a radio that the amplifier is already turned on. More of a "pop" and than a "click." Not a big deal.

Overall: 4/5

Overall, am I happy? Well, I think so. Without seeing the Midland radio, I can't say for sure if I'd rather have it, or the Reecom. However, I believe this radio will serve it's function, and provide ample warning in the case of an approaching tornado. I can't say for sure that I'm happy with the Statement or Watch disable feature. If I'm awoken in the middle of the night by an Amber Alert, then the rating on this radio will for sure go to 0/5. I do not want to be woken up by something like that, at 3AM. So, until that happens, I will never know.

I am pleased with the construction and quality of the radio though, and have used it several times, just to see how conditions are outside. I'm giving the other one to my mom, as she was looking for one a while back.