Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series
W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $125
Description: This is a Collin Mechanical SSB filter.
Identical to Yaesu YF-122S.

You can write your own review of the W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series.

G7HZZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2014 02:28 Send this review to a friend
YF-122S works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just fitted a YF-122S (marked XF-116SN) in a FT-857D used in a Land Rover 4x4. It was half price in a sale, otherwise I might not have bought one.

On RX - this filter gives a significant improvement in audibility of weaker (
The second (possibly more significant) effect of the YF-122S is that the YF-122S gives around 1 S-point of gain on RX signals (on my bar-graph). This is most noticeable of signals between S1 and S4 which, together with the cleaner audio) results in much more 'useable' RX signals.

By the way, for /M operations (using mobile whips and an ATAS120) the FT-857D's IPO - pre-amp - is always set on.

Off-frequency signals are attenuated to a small extent by the YF-122S, but the effect depends on the nature and closeness of the QRM.

These effects have been noted during both /M and /P operations using the FT-857D.

The YF-122S does affect the DSP settings which also need to be tailored to it, hence I do not now switch between the ceramic and 2.3KHz filter otherwise too many re-adjustments are needed.

The YF-122S can also be switched in for TX use. A small amount of gain and minor improvement to the outgoing audio has been reported to me, but as yet I do not have enough reports to draw conclusions.

I also have a YF-122S fitted to a FT-897D, however the difference between the 2.3KHz filter and the ceramic one in this rig is barely noticeable.

Overall conclusion: this filter dooes a good job on the FT-857D in making incoming signals cleaner, louder and more readable, and the apparent amplification of incoming signals gives a useful 1 S-point increase in signal strength. A good buy a the right price, but unduly expensive at normal list price.

N6JPG Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2014 20:26 Send this review to a friend
A Good Investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is just a preliminary report however I was impressed with the initial results I experienced.
I admit that I was somewhat skeptical as to the value of the filter but felt that anything that might aid QRP ops would be of benefit. After receiving and installing it on a recent evening, I set up my FT-817 on the dining room table and attached an Alexloop mag loop antenna on the floor next to me. Luckily, there was a DX contest in progress at the time so I had lots of traffic on a couple of different bands with which to play.
I found a few good QSO's to listen in on that were ideal for testing the filter for its receive capabilities with one station having a relatively strong signal and the other barely audible above the noise level and QRM. I found that with the filter inline, the weak signals popped up out of the noise and were much more readable above the QRM that was quite prevalent. Strong signals were relatively unaffected.
W4RT.com advertises that this filter will also add 2 db of "talk power" to transmissions. I decided to give it a try despite the fact that I was working QRP, using a less than optimal antenna, and the antenna was in the house with me, not sitting out on a mountaintop somewhere. Now, I have never had a great deal of success working 40 meters QRP with the Alexloop. Signal reports are usually just barely audible. I heard a station in Hawaii (I am in N. California) calling CQ on 40m. I gave it a shot and was answered immediately with a signal report of 55. Could it have been conditions? Maybe, but given the facts that there was a lot of traffic on the band and my setup was far less than ideal, I can't help but feel that the filter was doing its job.
Installation was very rudimentary. The hardest part of the process was removing some of the screws from the FT-817 that I swear someone at the Yaesu factory installed using an impact wrench. Price on this unit is also about $40 cheaper than the Yaesu model. I purchased mine at HRO.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 23:37 Send this review to a friend
NOTICEABLE IMPROVEMENT - WELL WORTH IT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
IN HONOR OF N4UED'S EARLIER REVIEW I WILL TYPE IN ALL SHOUTING! CAPITAL LETTERS - AHHHHHHH!!!

I PURCHASED MY FT-857D FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER INCLUDING THE 2.3KHZ FILTER AND AM SO IMPRESSED WITH THE IMPROVEMENT IN SELECTIVITY AND AUDIO QUALITY THAT I'M SELLING IT, BUT ONLY BECAUSE, IF A MERE 2.3KHZ COLLINS FILTER CAN INCREASE THE SOUND QUALITY OF SSB SO MUCH, THEN I MUST KNOW WHAT THE CAN 2.9KHZ DO?!! AHHHHHHH!!

SINCE ONLY ABOUT 10% OF MY TIME ON-THE-AIR CONSISTS OF CONTESTING OR DXING, LEAVING THE OTHER 90% FOR RAG-CHEW, I'M ORDERING THE 2.9KHZ FILTER TOMORROW AND SIMPLY USING THE MEDIOCRE STOCK CERAMIC FILTER FOR CONTESTS. AHHHHHHH!!!

UNLESS YOU'RE EXPERIENCING HEARING DIFFICULTY, I'D ENCOURAGE YOU TO TRY ONE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE TIME ON-AIR IS CLOSER TO 50%/50% RAG-CHEW TO CONTESTING/DXING. YOU SHOULD HEAR AN IMPROVEMENT IN BOTH THE SOUND QUALITY AND SELECTIVITY, AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE HELPED THE SENSITIVITY A LITTLE ALSO.

DEFINITELY A WINNER!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

VE4DET Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Room for improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quality control was the first issue with mine. It was configured to display 500 instead of 2.3.
I contacted them for assistance and never got a response. Managed to fix it myself. Lastly, the filter has only a subtle effect. Next time I would choose the Inrad 2.0 filter.

N3YZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have recently installed both the CW and the SSB W4RT filters into an FT-897D. Easy. The Operating Manual is very clear on the installation and configuration. Multi Function Row "n" automatically senses the 500 or 2.3k filter, as well as the stock ceramic.

The CW filter, combined with the DSP audio filters in the rig, make CW an new pleasure. The 2.3k filter adds a new crispness to the SSB audio. The skirts are a welcomed addition.

If you are a casual ham, these may not be the best for you. But if DXing is a serious interest, or if portable ops are in your future, I'd strongly recommend both of these filters. Tnx es 73! John, Annapolis, MD

KD5KC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Happy over-all.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The installation was a chore, and a story for another time. But this review isn't about installing them - it is about using the filters.

I have the OBF with the Collins 500 hz CW filter and the Collins SSB filter. They were installed shortly after I got the new FT-817 ND.

On SSB it is hard for my ears to detect any difference at all for receiving. However, several friends who know my voice well say I sounded much "fuller" with the Collins SSB filter. When using a 5-watt radio, that is important. From that standpoint alone it was worth it. In addition, I did an A/B with the OBP speech processor. All my friends agreed that it made a huge difference with the FT-817.

As a side-note, the 500hz CW filter really makes a difference on CW.

N4UED Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2009 23:57 Send this review to a friend
ITS A WAIST OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I PURCHASED THE W4RT 2.3 SSB FILTER ABOUT 8 MONTHS AGO.
I AM VERY UNHAPPY THAT I DID.
I WAS USING IT IN MY YAESU FT-897D.
THIS FILTER DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE AT ALL.
I TRYED ADJUSTING THE 897D AROUND THE FILTER AND DID NOT HAVE ANY SUCCESS.
AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS OF GRUMBLING,I PURCHASED THE INRAD 2.0 SSB FILTER.
THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING FILTER.
THE INRAD 2.0 FILTER MADE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE ON ALL BANDS.
THE FT-897D IS NOT JUST MY BACK-UP RIG ANYMORE.
I USE IT AS MUCH AS I DO MY MAIN HF TRANSCEIVER.
THE INRAD 300 CW FILTER ALSO DOES A OUTSTANDING JOB.
PLEASE DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON W4RT'S OR YAESU'S COSTLY FILTERS.
INRADS FILTERS ARE $125.00 EACH.
THE SHIPPING WAS ONLY NINE DOLLARS FROM CA TO NC.
I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE BEFORE THEY MAKE THE PURCHASE MISTAKE I DID WITH W4RT.
THANKS,CHUCK N4UED

G8JNJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 2, 2009 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Spend you money on something more worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these some time ago to fit in my FT-897D. At the time I was experimenting in order to try and improve the quality of the transmit audio. I thought that the better shape factor and lower pass band ripple of this filter would help clean up my rather bassy speech.

It did make some difference on TX, but Id be hard pushed to tell any difference on RX.

Was it worth the money ?

No - not at UK prices (currently about $180 USD).

I think it would have been more useful if it had a slightly narrower bandwidth, say 2.2KHz or perhaps even as small as 1.8KHz, for it to have made an appreciable difference.

G4JBI Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2009 07:36 Send this review to a friend
One board filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my FT817ND off to have the dual filter board fitted, and I had it back in three days. Excellent service.

The new filters work great for me, especially on PSK31

I am very pleased with the service, and product.

K1ROS Rating: 2/5 Aug 27, 2009 14:31 Send this review to a friend
No Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't have issue with this filter so far, but when I buy a product from someone I expect to get some customer service. With W4RT there is almost none. Be warned if you purchace from W4RT it is buyer beware.