Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series
W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $125
Description: This is a Collin Mechanical SSB filter.
Identical to Yaesu YF-122S.

You can write your own review of the W4RT 2.3 KHz Collins SSB filter for Yaesu 817/857/897 series.

KB1PGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
The filter works but there`s a catch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To be honest I bought the Yaesu SSB Collins filter (YF-122S) from HRO for $160.After reading the past reviews I was wondering if I was taking a chance.I have to say that after installing the mechanical filter and changing the receive and transmit filter settings on my Yaesu FT 857 I did notice quite a difference.Then again the difference in receive audio quality is noticable when one has a good set of headphones or a good external speaker.The receive audio wwas much more crisper and clearer compared with the ceramic speaker.You can notice a difference when you choose to select between the ceramic filter and the collins filter in the menu part.If I had a noisy mobile setting just with the external speaker the audio difference may not be worth the money.I have not had a chance to hear an audio difference on my transmit yet from a recording point of view.To sum up the filter does work in an indoor headphone or good speaker setting and it does help give one put out a better quality signal with 2 DB gain on transmit which is worth the money to me

N0EQ Rating: 0/5 May 24, 2008 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Useless in Yaesu 857  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Try as I might to find something postive to say about this filter, I can't. I thought for a long time that I didn't have some menu setting engaged. But instead it appears that the W4RT filter just plain doesn't do anything for the reception in my 857D.

A/B'ing between it and the stock filter shows a little difference in audio tone of the received signal. But it by no means narrows the response. I still hear stations that are WAY over 2.3 klicks away.

I can achieve the same or better filtering by simply adjusting the Yaesu's internal DSP.

Ordered the filter on 4/1 it didn't ship till 4/14.

Bottom line for me, $136 wasted.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke - n0eq

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 20:13 Send this review to a friend
one board filter FT-817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the filters for CW and SSB on separate boards
when I contacted W4rt Barry W4WB immediatly
accepted to use my filters to make a one board
version for a minimal fee.

Fast turn around and quality work. The installation
directions are very clear.
The SSB makes only a difference when other stations
are close to the frequency. The CW filter makes a
very noticeable difference. Well worth the money.

N8NQP Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2007 13:22 Send this review to a friend
If you work SSB, Get it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Vs the stock filter in the 817, its no contest. Over field day using the shift I was able to tell a big difference in the skirt of this filter compared to stock. Between it and the OBP, it really rounds out the audio.

G0RRL Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2007 12:36 Send this review to a friend
SSB anyone .. but talk quietly .. shh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i got the 2.3k SSB filter for my new 857D transciever. I was hoping a little better improvement.I had read the reviews about the very subtle effects of the filter but didnt realise just how much!!! Comparing the fitted ceramic filter to the 2.3k Xtal plug-in one .. there is virtually no difference. I contacted the supplier & they advised me a refund was fine if not satified. ( i was looking forward to some serious dxing!)
Im sure if the SSB IF bandwidth used a std 6k broadcast filter u would easily notice the difference .. but to be honest the one in my 857 sounds feeble. Yaesu should have offered a better solution to DXing. Why not a 2k or 1.8k as the Kenwood transciever has!!!
Dissapointed with the filter at a lot of extra cash!!! 2 cherries & a lemon!

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2007 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed the dual, 500 Hz and 2.3 KHz, filter board in my Icom IC-718. W4RT has done his homework. Included in the parts package was complete install and setup information. As for performance it gives me a Collins filter for SSB and one for CW. Removing the original filter for SSB was no great loss.

PE1JLJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2006 00:53 Send this review to a friend
gives quite some distinct difference with QRM  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
ease to install; the 10 pole filter does it's job very well and shapes the audio in transmit also quite a bit.

It was some money but definitely worth it.

VA2DV Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2006 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just added the W4RT 2.3 SSB filter to my FT-857D.I wanted a little better performance since
i am using it at home as a base station.
The improvement is subtil but it's definetely there.The audio as improved from i would say from ordinary to good.Seems to quiet down the receiver a little also.I was able to see a nice difference on a weak station last night on 20m.
Not needed if you use your transceiver once a month but very useful for everyday operation.
Take a minute to install.Recommended !