Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | MFJ-962D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-962D
MFJ-962D Reviews: 99 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 1.8 - 30 MHz 1.5 kilowatt AirCore roller inductor antenna tuner

You can write your own review of the MFJ-962D.

KA5CAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2018 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used for 125.00 but it looks and works like new. My MFJ-962D tunes my 80 meter full wave loop on all bands 80-10. It is quick and simple to tune.
K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2018 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Well Ya Know Jane, It's Always Something  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm going to give this a 5 even though a 4.75 might be more appropriate. This MFJ-962D was just purchased to replace an MFJ-994B auto tuner that didn't work correctly out of the box (and was missing a rubber foot). But now, the good news. For the price, this is a very nice tuner. The roller inductor and counter operate smoothly. I checked the inside and it looks first rate. The fit and finish are very nice, if you like basic black! The peak reading meter is more-or-less accurate (maybe 50 watts high). I've run this amplifier through other meters and tuners and 650 PEP is about what they show (it's all an estimate, anyway). I ran into no issues tuning first with an MFJ 259 analyzer, then my exciter at 25 watts and then turned on the ALS 600. Even the roller inductor knob looks classy.

So, what's not to like? The grounding lug on the back was missing the wing nut and washers. It's a small thing. I temporarily borrowed the wing nut and washers off the balanced line feedthrough posts and can replace them later. My point is that MFJ could probably boost their average review by a full point and avoid the "Mighty Fine Junk" moniker if they'd just do a little QC. How about including a postcard or asking buyers to complete a survey online along the lines of "how's our quality?" They could use data gathered to identify weak points in their manufacturing processes and avoid the missing wingnuts and rubber feet.

I still think MFJ products generally provide excellent value and service. I have purchased at least 6 MFJ/Ameritron items in the last 2 years. About half worked perfectly. Two required one or more calls to Starkville to ask for replacements of clearly defective or missing parts. The auto tuner just didn't work! One in six, at the price is not bad! These silly errors and omissions tarnish the reputation of an otherwise great manufacturer. My experience as an ISO 9000 consultant indicates that the cost of compliance is usually less than that of non-compliance.
KR4AW Rating: 0/5 Nov 21, 2017 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Not surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not surprised the MFJ 962D is just like most MFJ products. They are not what they advertise. This one said rated for 1.5 kw but in the manual in big letters said do not use more than 800 watts. It also said you can plug a 9 volt battery to it. Not true no plug inside for a battery. The manual has to be printed from the internet. It's a joke. Check out page 4 said meter is 0 to 200 watts on low and 0 to 2000 watts on hi. Not true it's 0 to 300 w and 0 to 3000 w. OK just a mistake. I told them about it about a year ago and others have also and they have not fixed it. Same with an antenna I purchased from MFJ said it was good for 160 meters. Not true. After talking with them they told me it did not do 160 but they continue to advertise saying it does. I have never seen a company that just plain out lies and does not care. If I can help it. I will never buy another MFJ product.
G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2017 00:42 Send this review to a friend
VFM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this to be a very flexible tuner and superb value at the price. Impressed by the self resonance damper. This is a simple idea and a trick that some other manufacturers seem to have missed?

I use reasonably resonant antennas and often full legal in the UK (400W) which this tuner handles easily.

Internal construction is solid, not sure how MFJ produce this at the price
N4URW Rating: 2/5 Aug 16, 2017 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Not accurate   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a used MFJ-962D. First thing I did was to check and see how accurate the watt meter was. After checking, I could tell that it was off so I went by the directions in the operators manual to adjust the pods for low power and high power. But now I noticed that when using my Ameritron 811H, it would only show that the amp was putting out 450 to 500 watts but another SWR/WATT meter shows 750 - 800 watts. So I will need to check and see if the pods need more adjustment.
K4FY Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2015 18:49 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-962D; Junk or Bad Rap?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

A popular sport around Hamdom is to find fault with all things MFJ. Conventional wisdom has it that if it has an MFJ label itís suspect. I was reluctant to pull the lever and order the MFJ-962D transmatch until I saw one at Hamvention. Not bad looking, the operation felt smooth, and the price was right.

Once the unit arrived I decided to put MFJ to the test. I opened the unit and made a thorough quality inspection to see if there were loose screws, cold joints, or bad parts. So far, so good. The parts are adequate for the specs and the workmanship is fine. Iíve built more than one transmatch from QRP to 2KW and, to me, the MFJ seemed well designed and assembled.

I didnít like the inductor knob so I coughed up five bucks for an MFJ crank knob like the big boys use. Much better. Another little quirk is that the meter circuit needs a 12 volt supply to function.

Using a hundred watts, I ran it for a few months on a 40-20-20 OCFD that didnít like any other bands. The MFJ loaded everything except 80 (what a surprise). It does require careful tweaking on some of the off bands.

Then I put some power to it. My ACOM1010 put 800 watts through it without any problems. I always tune the MFJ at 20-30 watts first. Not doing this invites trouble with any transmatch. I suspect some of the arcing problems mentioned are caused by impossible, low impedance loads, or attempting to use the unit beyond its specified range. Read the manual.

Overall, the unit performs as advertised, has solid construction, and represents a good value.
KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2015 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Just a couple of nits to pick  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall, a fairly good tuner. The roller inductor is quite stiff and the finger dimple on the knob is basically useless. I have to turn the knob by hand.

I can't believe MFJ is still using amplifier input power as the rating for this tuner. It says 1.5KW on the front panel but the manual states that this tuner uses the old school rating of input power and the tuner will only handle 800 watt maximum amplifier output power.

This is quite misleading, as modern hams now mainly pay attention to P.E.P. output power. Why not be up front and just say 800 Watt tuner?

The tuner does what I want and matches my compromise antenna on everything from 75-10 meters. I replaced a 949E that was acting squirrely. I only run 200 watts from a TS480HX Kenwood so there is ample headroom. No arcs/sparks.

I don't think I'd run much more than 600 watts thru this tuner. I have a Ten-Tec 238C L network tuner for the big jobs. So far I'm satisfied. YMMV.
N1RND Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2015 05:09 Send this review to a friend
I'm happy with it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading ALL of the reviews I pulled the trigger and bought one. MFJ is known for not always having the best Q.C. I was lucky and got a "good" one. I opened it up before even trying it out. Good soldering, no loose hardware, etc.
This tuner replaces a 949E. I have a dx engineering dxe-wa-70 40 meter dipole fed with balanced line going to a dxe-bal050-h10-a remote 1:1 current balun. The whole antenna system is installed exactly as dx engineering advises.
I can say the 962d tunes the antenna on 40 thru 10 M easier than the 949e. If you are buying any antenna tuner whether it is for low, medium, or high power operating, get one with a roller inductor. Tuning (low power) is faster and easier because you don't have to unkey between inductor settings like you do with a SWITCHED inductor switch. (never hot switch those types)
If your wondering why I'm not using the built in balun thats because I bought the remote balun before I got the tuner.
The PEP reading feature seems to work. It does decay rather slowly compared to my Yaesu ys-60 meter.
Keep in mind you will not receive a printed manual with it. In the box you find a slip of paper saying to download the manual. The current manual needs updating. On page 4 it explains that the meter needs two forms of power. 12 vdc thru the rear power jack to light the meter and a 9v battery inside to power the pep feature. There is not any provision inside for a 9v battery. It appears that the meter lamp and circutry get their voltages from the rear 12v source. Also on page 4 it says the forward readings on the meter 0-200 and 0-2000. Mine reads 0-300 and 0-3000! Yet when you look at page 12 (meter calibration) the instructions use the meter scales that ARE on my unit?
To address the spinner knob issue, as others have said you can't stick your finger in the dimple and spin it like a vfo, its too stiff. But that does not bother me a roller inductor needs a small "crank handle" like on older tuners from the day. Maybe it will break-in a bit.
All in all I like the tuner it does what I need.

73's dave
PY2ONU Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2014 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner is a good product, not a Palstar but is a good product for the price. I use the MFJ-962D with my Ameritron AL-811H and don't have problem to tuner any antena (vertical, dipole, G5RV, Yagi and even any wire).
I'm very happy with my MFJ-962D working 600-800 watts and tuned my dipole Cushcraft D4 of 160 until 6 meters.
KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Please Do give it a chance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the tuner to use with my AL-811H, and I knew that MFJ products could have issues, So I opened it up and inspected it. I found no issues, in fact I inspected it to IPC-J-STD-001E which has been adopted by Aerospace industry as soldering standard for Quality. With the exception of flux residue (something I have seen in Yeasu & other radios) it met the requirements. So I looked at the fit and smoothness of the coil control, it was a little stiff and not as smooth as I would like, but much better than my old Murch tuner.

So far, using it has been a pleasure, I get 800 watts easy out of the 811H and both amp & tuner work great together on all bands on an 80M FW loop.

Be aware that even the Defence / Aerospace Industry has quality issues, that's why they do source inspection and audit their sub-tier suppliers. Even the auto industry (where lives are at stake) have issues. Look at the millions of cars recalled for various issues.

Now if you want to have a high level of confidence that your purchase has the highest level of quality, then do a source inspection, perform a receiving inspection ( MIL-AERO does) and pay a premium for the higher criticality.

Also be aware that MFJ utilizes special needs employees who are given a chance at a productive life.

Do yourself a favor, if you have the money then buy the best of the best of the best. If you don't have the money then do yourself a favor and perform an inspection on your new purchase, and most of all remember that High Quality is not cheap. Don't be that person who buys an abused tuner or anything for that matter, at a swap meet for $10 and expect it to perform like a new high dollar device.