Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 962D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 962D
MFJ 962D Reviews: 88 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 1.8 - 30 MHz 1.5 kilowatt AirCore roller inductor antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-962D

You can write your own review of the MFJ 962D.

WX9DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 03:03 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know this tuner is rated at 1500 peak which is 1060 RMS, and they tell you this when you buy it. Also on some antennas if you don't add inductance to ground you will build up a high voltage arc in the tuner! Talk to N9UTJ Keith he'll tell you all about how he did this and that and finally found out this fact. I have had mine and it has been flawless and I realize it is not meant to take my 2 each 3cx800 tube amp. It's a single 3-500 amp type tuner. So I bought the Ameritron ATR30 and it can take anything this amp troughs at it. Full carrier at 1500 watts. It does not arch. I can even adjust it while transmitting to a point at full power. But The 1500 watt tuner is really a 1kw tuner, it tells you that on their literature! I'd like you to run or own a company like this one and try to please all those Hams that don't read before they buy!

MFJ stands behind their equipment and has great tech support. The big thing with calling any place is don't get huffy on the phone and people will bend over backwards to help you! This MFJ-962D (1500 Watt) tuner works great in my studio B transmitter shack with a 572b desk top KW amp and that is really what it's made for. You want to run 160 meters buy a tuner for that. Talk to Richard at MFJ their PR guy and he'll guide you. He's tech savy and knows the product line, and what the equipment will really do. If your scared to just buy something from any company call and ask to talk to their PR people, Like Richard at MFJ or Mike at Ameritron! Don't cry baby about it after the fact, because (( you )) did little or no research before you bought something. Sorry but that is just my Opinion. Do you do that when you buy a car?

I have never had a problem with MFJ that they have not stood behind or tried in every way to help me. I have had this MFJ-962D since they came out. It has had a new roller inductor put into it, why because I wore it out in YEARS of use. I bought a new roller from them and installed it myself. If you don't know how to solder or can't anymore they have a great support team there that can do the work for you.

But Hey I'd like to see you run a company like that and please everyone. You think you can?
Jimmy, WX9DX

2E0DLM Rating: 3/5 Jun 23, 2013 17:41 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Repairs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought it used. It played up right away. Stripped roller inductor. Replaced rubbish roller bar tension springs (collapsed) and ball bearings with strong stainless steel ones. Turned roller bar round 180 degrees to get new silver plate surface for the roller and re-soldered. Fitted new inductor support manufactured and bonded to one existing one. Everything including roller and inductor cleaned with acetone then lubricated with electrolube EML including capacitors. Re-soldered everything, checked all earths and fitted 2 new RF sensing diodes and one new antenna socket. Now works fine. Recommend yearly service to keep in good order. MFJ need me!!. Hope this is helpful. PS. Palstar is a better ATU but much more expensive.

W8MLD Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2013 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner two years now and use it with my Ameritron AL811H. The only time I had it arc on me was when my tune box at the base of my Inverted L got out of whack. The variable capacitor had moved somehow, and the feed point impedance had dropped to 5 Ohms. Found this out by checking the antenna system with an MFJ 269 analyzer. The tuner did have a very stiff turning roller inductor at first, but it smoothed out with use. Like any product I buy I checked inside the case before using it, and it didn't have any loose screws or cold solder joints, and no pieces floating around free. I don't find MFJ's QC to be any worse than anyone else. Some of the problems I hear here may be due to lack of care during shipping. This isn't a ham related story but a shipping story. I ordered live marine fish from CA this winter. The box said live fish and fragile right on it. When it arrived the UPS guy just tossed it 15 feet onto my porch. Luckily the fish were ok. But at the time it was less than 30 degrees out. If I had not heard him arrive the cold could have killed the fish, because he didn't ring my bell. So don't be quick to blame MFJ for everything when sometimes shippers can be less than careful with fragile equipment.

KN4GE Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2013 20:00 Send this review to a friend
not 1.5kw  Time owned: more than 12 months
actually MFJ 962B Easy to use, great tuning range. Every time I have ever run more than about 400W something has arced. Replaced bandswitch (arcs to a,b,c spots when set to l and on 160 with full length dipole), meter, meter lights. Spread coil leads to stop arcing to case. It will not load 1.5 kw into a 50 ohm load without the caps arcing. It is a very nice 100 watt tuner.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased used in good condition. First removed the top and examined insides: excellent. I know some MFJ products have a bad rep., but the 993B that this replaces was always perfect. Had a 'Differential-T' tuner in '88 that worked great.
Very good luck with this 962D so far. Will know more if I try it with power.

N9SOB Rating: 1/5 Jul 14, 2012 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchsed the MFJ 962d with intent to add an amplifier at a later date. This tuner sat NEW in a box for almost a year before I purchased a new AL-811. Excited to upgrade from the 100W group, I hooked up my new FT-950, AL-811, and NEW MFJ 962d. Everything seemed wonderful for a couple of days and then I started smelling a burnt odor. The smell was comming from the tuner. I removed the cover from the tuner and detected nothing unusual. Within 2 days, this creature began arcing for no aparent reason. Upon taking the cover off again, I saw burn marks everywhere. A 100W tuner this may be, but if you put a little AL-811 to it you might as well get a bag of marshmellows out to roast. I have ordered a new Palstar and will never purchase MFJ products again!

N6WBL Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my MFJ-962D used when I got a hold of a Ameritron AL-811, and it has worked perfectly ever since. I use it with a G5RV fed by a short length of Belden 9913 and makes it a decent all band antenna at my duplex with a small lot. My worst SWR is 11.7:1 on 17m, and with a little coaxing the MFJ tunes it up just fine. Never had a flash over. Replaced the bulb with an LED when it burned out, and haven't had to touch it again. Since I only paid $150 for it used, I'll give it a 5. MFJ gets dissed by a lot of hams, but all my MFJ gear just works while not costing a fortune like some alternatives.

DJ4ND Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2011 11:19 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first MFJ-962D a few years ago, it is my second one.

My first one MFJ-962D worked with power 800 watts SSB from AL-811H and 1000 watts from AL-80B. My both tuners work great on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15 and 10 meters! I have had no problems.

I always made very small fine tuning adjustments under low power and this tuner always did its job well.
No it's not perfect, but for me it is very very good. Great!!!

73 de Nick, DJ4ND

KU2US Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2011 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Some bad-Some Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this tuner for 3 years.I ran +/-300 watts into it, no problems, UNTIL I got an AL-811! It arced,and had problems tuning over 400 watts. Bought a Palstar AK2KD! WOW! Yes, the Palstar costs almost double the cost of the MFJ, but now I can tune anything including the metal braces inside my son's mouth to 160 meters! Never had problems with MFJ tuners until I put some serious power to them. I keep the 962D as a back up, but use my Palstar Sherman Tank as my primary tuner with the AL-811.

KF4EUD Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
well--it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
i've had mine a few years, it works fairly well,if you are looking for a inexpensive tuner to run with a dipole and a 100 watt radio. this will do the job. if you are wanting to run a amp. you will need to move up the food chain a little farther.but all in all its worth the money