Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 962D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 962D
MFJ 962D Reviews: 90 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 1.8 - 30 MHz 1.5 kilowatt AirCore roller inductor antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-962D

You can write your own review of the MFJ 962D.

KU2US Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2011 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Some bad-Some Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this tuner for 3 years.I ran +/-300 watts into it, no problems, UNTIL I got an AL-811! It arced,and had problems tuning over 400 watts. Bought a Palstar AK2KD! WOW! Yes, the Palstar costs almost double the cost of the MFJ, but now I can tune anything including the metal braces inside my son's mouth to 160 meters! Never had problems with MFJ tuners until I put some serious power to them. I keep the 962D as a back up, but use my Palstar Sherman Tank as my primary tuner with the AL-811.

KF4EUD Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
well--it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
i've had mine a few years, it works fairly well,if you are looking for a inexpensive tuner to run with a dipole and a 100 watt radio. this will do the job. if you are wanting to run a amp. you will need to move up the food chain a little farther.but all in all its worth the money

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 21:13 Send this review to a friend
mine works good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my MFJ-962D I used with 100 wts only, I use it to tune 66 ft wire antenna. it tune everything from 160 mtr to 10 mtr band, compare to MFJ-949 which I used to use 20 years ago, this 962D does not arc at 160 mtr band. it is not as smooth as much more expensive tuner, but for the price I paid $250 as new one from RandL it is good products. I took pictures out side and inside posted here

W6GEE Rating: 0/5 Oct 3, 2011 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Good for scrap metal and some parts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Twice in for repairs, twice failed with a faulty capacitor and inductor on two separate occasions. Admittedly, I originally bought this used and received it DOA, so maybe there were some evil spirits involved that were beyond MJF's QC capabilities.

I don't want to invalidate those hams who've had good experiences with this tuner. I only want to emphasize that this is my personal experience. As with anything else in life, "you pays your money and takes your chances."

WB4TJH Rating: 0/5 Sep 21, 2011 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Save yourself a big headache: Buy a PALSTAR  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fought problems with intermittants in this nightmare tuner for over 15 years. Ijust ordered a Palstar, which is what I should have done years ago,

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think that most of these reviews are by people that had bad experiences. HRO is always out of them so they must sell a bunch. I think specing them as a 1500 watt tuner is a problem, this is "INPUT' power people. I use mine at 1000+ watt PEP "OUTPUT" all the time on 40 meters w/out a problem. As with all tuners, always tune at low power before applying full rated power. Mine is very stable sitting on top of my amp. The finish is very nice. The roller inductor is prefered to obtain a 1:1 match, that is not possible, usualy, with a tapped coil. It turns smooth enough for me (that is a personal problem). The caps are also very smooth. Both the inductor and caps are very accurate to reset. I don't know about the balun, never used one. Construction is acceptable for what you pay. I've had several MFJ tuners over the last 40 years of my hamming life and have had all possitive experience. I've used them with all types of antennas. I admit some of their earlier equipment left something to be desired. For their price point MFJ competes well. Buy one, odds are in your favor. All manufacturers have lemmons.

KE7OPK Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2011 14:21 Send this review to a friend
OK for price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had to resolder everything. Roller inductor and cap settings are very touchy. Replaced it with a Dentron Super Tuner (kind of a boatanchor), which I am very happy with. Had some loading issues with my SB-200 Linear Amp that have been cured since using the Dentron. Other than the good used stuff, MFJ really has the market sewn up. Quality could be better, especially for Made in USA.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2011 09:53 Send this review to a friend
962D update !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i brought this tuner last year as of 11/6/10 the only problem i have is the knob is hard to tune on inductance side that only problem i have ,but rest is fine ! they to fix ind.side to make easy to tune ! it real hard to tune on ind. other than tune fine.

VK4TUX Rating: 2/5 Dec 9, 2010 15:26 Send this review to a friend
follow-up 2  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The info from MFJ was useless and I think they are referring to the end shaft copper strip contact which is not an issue. There is no way to tighten the coil without unsoldering and bringing the notched fiberglass bars in.

HOWEVER, I discovered that the back roller rod brass support from the main shaft has an enlongated hole supporting the roller rod. I tensioned the roller rod out at this end and inserted a 1/16" silver rod spacer,underneath in the enlogated hole and glued in place to prevent it working its way back out.

Working again good as new (or maybe better :)),with smooth tuning, while the roller inductor keeps good continuous contact.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Atfer taking time to read to understand this little tunerit 's tune all 8 band that i wanted to get on the air even first time ever get on tune 160 meter since 07 so this will be my first time talk anyone on 160 meter time to get feet wet lol !! other than that great tuner ! it tune no problem at all..I HAD THIS TODAY 11/6/10

Jackie