Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 962D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 962D
MFJ 962D Reviews: 88 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 1.8 - 30 MHz 1.5 kilowatt AirCore roller inductor antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-962D

You can write your own review of the MFJ 962D.

N7SCC Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2010 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Got a MFJ 962D in a trade.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having owned a MFJ 949E 300W tuner for 14 years... I wanted to step up even though I'm going to probably stay with 100W HF units. Wanting the increased range and the ability to tune unknown R and I loads/unbalanced and balanced antennas; plus, I've learned I prefer tuning manually instead of owning an auto tuner(LDG); because, I can actually "see" the tuned antenna load. That's how I decided for the 962D unit. I traded my LDG 200 auto tuner for the 962D and after owning the 962D almost 3 months... OK, I've read all the reviews and researched and compared the 962D and downloaded the MFJ manual-- if you stay below the SSB and CW wattage limits of the tuner and follow the "pre-tune" instructions in the manual...I think this is one heck of a tuner, even if you don't have an Amp. In my tuner trade the former owner(1 owner) did replace the roller inductor which-- I think everyone should be prepared to do at some point while you own it. After running tests and making a tuning setting chart I would say don't completely rely on the built-in balun above 600 Watts. MFJ does state: "Designed...max. 800W RF output CW or PEP on 80-10meters...500W output CW or PEP on 160meters..." And, "Most typical 1500W
tuners...able to safely handle 400-600W CW and 600-900W PEP SSB..." My experience is that not to use this tuner above 600W. It is better built than the 300W tuners and if you going to stay below 1000W CW or PEP output this tuner should handle it. Like any tuner one has to pre-tune first and slowly bring the power up. And, actually read and follow the manual instructions. Yes, I would buy another manual roller-inductor tuner -or- the next higher rated version. Owning and using it about 3 months...It is definitely a 4 (or better!).

N6WBL Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2010 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Fine tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this tuner with my Ameritron AL-811 for a couple years now. I picked it up on E-Bay very reasonable, and it has worked flawlessly for me ever since. Its perhaps not a Palstar or one of the other expensive tuners, but it gets the job done and you can put the extra money towards some other ham gear. MFJ gets a bad wrap with some hams, but Martin F Ju puts out some great products, most of which are built here in the United States giving hams some great gear options. You get schematics and a 1 year warranty not voided if you open the case. I've personally been happy with all my MFJ products, especially my MFJ-259B.

WP4AOH Rating: 2/5 May 21, 2010 18:51 Send this review to a friend
poor quality control  Time owned: more than 12 months
As with other MFJ tuners you have to open up the tuner and make sure it was assembled correctly.Like another reviewer pointed out the inductor shorting switch (MFJ calls it, self resonance killer)can actually kill your tuner or your finals if it is not working correctly. The purpose of this switch is to short the inductor if it passes beyond a certain point to keep the turns behind the short from creating a second inductance reading. Sometimes the switch won't complete the short or won't move at all limiting the range of the roller inductor.Also you must verify for the correct orientation of the knobs agains the variable capacitors. MFJ keeps installing the knobs incorrectly. With the variable capacitors set for maximum capacitance (plates fully meshed) your knob should be at 10. Most of the time as set from the factory they read zero (0) which is minimum capacitance.You will have a real nightmare adjusting the tuner if you follow MFJ's instructions supplied with the tuner with the knobs on the incorrect positions. Just take an allen wrench,loosen the screw and set the knobs correctly.On my 962 the inductor was also installed (actually wound) incorrectly.Maximum capacitance resulted with the counter set at 000. I tried inverting the roller inductor inside but then my counter was moving in the wrong direction. The inductor winding should have been counterclockwise,not clockwise. I decided to leave it the way it came from the factory.Please take a look at my review for the model 969E (same problems) If you find one cheap,take the risk and look inside to verify for the above errors. I think that for $269.00 (retail price) there are better options. 73's

AA1OC Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2010 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for about a year and didn't have any real problems until a week ago when my SWR started to go screwy. It turned out to be the rotary switch sections were shorting together. The cause was found to be a missing rivet that holds the switch plate to the ceramic center piece. After I fixed that, the tuner went back to the great tuner that I had originally bought.

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2010 03:38 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well sold my LDG-1000 Pro, way too noisy. So I opted for the MFJ-962D , it handles my AL-811H and Off-Center fed dipole. Tunes all the freq I use ..I will report after 6 months on the air.

W6VA Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2009 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Tamed My G5RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had just put up a G5RV Mini and my internal antenna tuner on my IC-7600 could not handle the SWR on 17 meters. Got the 962D and it brought the SWR 1:1, couldn't ask for more. Front panel layout is very nice, easy to use, workmanship seems fine, none of the problems mentioned in other reviews. This is a used unit, about 6 months old, bought from another ham, but in excellent condx. Only drawback is that in the ad copy it claims 1.5 kw, but in the manual it shows only handling 900 watts. I haven't used an amp on it yet so will have to see if it can handle over 1 kw. Otherwise perfectly satisfied.

WB4TJH Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2009 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Built-in Balun is junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner since the 1980s, and it has always been a bit quirky. Today, I decided to use the built in balun for the first time with my amplifier. Well, the balun shorted out with 400 watts into it, running into a center fed Zepp. Thankfully, I still had my old trusty Heathkit 2040 tuner, which is built like a battleship and the balun in that won't even get warm with 400 watts. The moral of the story is: for low power, the 962D is OK. But for higher than 100 watts, forget the MFJ junk and get a real, heavy dury tuner like a Palstar, or at least an old Heath that won't let you down.

KC2OTX Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2009 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Lil' Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a 962D since 2006. I run it with a AL-80B at about 800-1000 W with no problems. I have the version with the roller inductor. Open it up and clean it from time to time; I probably don't really need to, but the military taught me the value of preventative maintenance. Just follow the manual and tune with the amp in standby and then cut in power. I wouldn't cycle any of the controls while it is under full load. The meter is very accurate, also. Regards, Larry, now W2DDG

KC9KSA Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2009 06:18 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Cheaped it out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the tuner 2 months ago and on occasion I had trouble tuning my antennas. I opened up the tuner and MFJ had made a cheap shorting switch on the roller inductor. As you turn the roller inductor this switch is activated by the roller itself. But most of the time it does not close. The construction of this switch looks like it was made from scrap fiberglass. I would assume other people are having this same problem. You need to remove the cover of the tuner and check that this shorting switch opens and closes as you turn the roller inductor. This is poorly designed and MFJ should be required to fix this free of charge if you are experiencing the same problem. I also experienced problems with the roller inductor counter, I had to move the reset lever by hand to get the counter to work. Otherwise it does a decent job of tuning my antennas.

G3UXB Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2009 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Quite Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I said to myself that I would never own another piece of MFJunk again, but now I eat my words, first I have to state there seems to be different versions of this tuner mine has the roller inductor not the switched version plus I bought mine on eBay in as new condition. I was looking for a tuner for use at the 500 watt level and there are not many choices I would have loved the new Palstar offering but out of my price range, so I went for this and have been pleasantly surprised, apart from the rough feel of the roller inductor it has worked flawlessly tuning my FT-1000MP and Ameritron AL-84 perfectley into a G5RV (True Talk another great product) and I could not believe how accurate the meter was comparing to many other devices. there has been alot of negative comment on this tuner regarding the 1500 watt level but I guess they never read the manual first, TUNE UP WITHOUT AMPLIFIER FIRST. Yes I did check all soldered connections first and went over the unit as a whole but I ended up with a tuner that works great, thats what amateur radio is all about