Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | Astatic Para Dynamics PDC1089 Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic Para Dynamics PDC1089
Astatic Para Dynamics PDC1089 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: The Astatic Para Dynamics PDC1089 is a 30Mhz low pass filter marketed as a "1000 Watt" TVI filter.
More info: http://www.astatic.com/cb/accessories/index.htm

You can write your own review of the Astatic Para Dynamics PDC1089.

W5JDA Rating: 1/5 Oct 7, 2010 14:07 Send this review to a friend
piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got one off of ebay. seller said it was in good condition. it started smoking on 40 watts of rf on 20 meters. it didn't get rid of all of my tvi, but it chopped a lot of it, but come on 40 watts - i know my antenna is on my patio, but lets get real here. would not recommend it to anyone and can't resell it on ebay. might could replace the component that smoked, but really shouldn't have to.

N1XBP Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2006 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Seems good except for the case  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ParaDynamics PDC1089 is a 30Mhz low pass filter marketed as a "1000 Watt" TVI filter. It is apparently aimed towards CB'ers. Since they can often be found quite cheaply, I decided to try one to reduce front end overload in my receiver (Ten Tec Rx-320D) from nearby 30Mhz and up sources.

While I lack test equipment to give a technical analysis of its performance, it seems to do it's job. As a test, it did manage to filter out all but the very strongest local FM broadcast stations when I tried it on my stereo, and on the Ten Tec background noise drops to S2 when tuning above 30Mhz. All in all, the filter didn't really improve my overloading problem as much as I thought it would, especially when my ICE broadcast band filter made a world of difference with several local AM BCBs desensing the receiver.

On the inside, construction seems okay. Nice clean solder joints and nicely wound coils. They appear to be aluminum or something other than copper, or plated copper. The caps look like blue disc types.

The case leaves MUCH to be desired. It feels as if its made from flashing, and you can flex it easily in your fingers. I was really amazed at this, since the ICE filter is built like a tank in a cast aluminum box.. I suppose that's the difference 30 dollars makes. It doesn't appear to affect performance but I was rather disappointed that it seems so light and flimsy. The internal dividers are pop-riveted in place.

I suppose it's okay for the price, but due to the quality of the case its hard for me to take it seriously. Although it seems to do its job, as I said, I'll probably be replacing it with a higher quality piece from a company like ICE (simply because I have seen their quality first hand.. I'm sure there are other quality manufacturers)

I'm not sure how this makes me feel about Astatic, since my vintage D-104s are some of my favorite bits of kit and will probably outlast me! Obviously something went wrong with this company at some point.

On thing I *Can't* comment on is the power rating. Its claimed to be 1000 watts and I don't have a way to test that, but judging from the quality of the "flashing" case, I don't *feel* it would be able to actually sustain that sort of power level, if it could handle it at all.

Was it worth the 27 bucks I paid? Ehh, well..