Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Redsun RP2100 Help

Reviews Summary for Redsun RP2100
Redsun RP2100 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $56.90
Description: Dual conversion PLL synthesized digital world band receiver with IF output for DRM
More info: http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm

You can write your own review of the Redsun RP2100.

KG6TAG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this radio for $60 and had a friend carry it back from China after a business trip.

Pros:
Very good sensitivity on shortwave and Medium Wave (AM). This radio is far superior comparing whip to whip with my Sony 7600G, and Grundig YB 300PE. I have yet to try it on a long wire.
No muting when tuning
Nice filter bandwidths (someone else said they were 10 KHz and 5 KHz which seems reasonable)
Very responsive Bass and Treble controls
RF Gain control
Very good AGC
Very good audio quality
Local/DX (attenuator presumably)
External antenna connectors
Slow and Fast tuning speeds with "Qtune" which allows push-button jumps to the beginning of the next short wave band segment

Cons:
No SSB - Easily resolved for about $12 and a little soldering fun from TenTec: http://radio.tentec.com/kits/fun/1050

Very annoying tuning bleeps/pops across about 1/2 of the total bandwidth of the radio, and occurring on every tuning increment.

Rather odd memories

Summary -
As much as I hate the tuning bleeps, the sensitivity, selectivity, audio quality, and cost of this radio make it a winner in my book. It is far more enjoyable than my Sony 7600G which has just never really impressed me a lot, even with the synch detector. If you purchase this radio, be sure to join the Yahoo group to find out how to turn off annoying key and end-of-band beeps among other things.

Note this radio is the same as:

Dave

KC5IIE Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2007 06:15 Send this review to a friend
fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Kaito KA-2100 incarnation of the Redsun about a month ago and I've been amazed at its performance since I've aquired it. I can echo John Plimmer's comments about it, I've compared it along side of more elaborate receivers I own and it holds its own when connected to an external antenna, an inverted - L here. It handles strong signals without overloading, and copies weak signals great, namely this morning I copied signals in the tropical bands just as well as my Satellit 800. Here in the American Midwest we need all the sensitivity we can muster and the KA-2100 really delivers. I cant wait for the more advanced version of this radio to be introduced, selectable sync detection and a keypad would make this radio a real winner. Best receiver value under $400no doubt!

ALANWONG1 Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2007 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the Bucks!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As my personal budget is not great, i currently only own a Degen DE103, Icom IC-R75 and the Redsun RP2100...

Upon comparing a pocket size radio, portable and a tabletop, i would say the RP2100 performs just as well as the R75 even though it lacks of a Sync Detection feature which would not be missed if you used the RP2100 for tuning in to fairly strong AM Stations...

The only thing to remember is that if one has a budget for an antenna tuner + balun (ie. impedence transformer), the RP2100 would perform much much better when attached to a long wire antenna where fairly weak stations will come alive!!!..