Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-9982 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-9982
MFJ-9982 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: Rated at 2500 watts

You can write your own review of the MFJ-9982.

W1KQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my MFJ-9982 for a few months now. It replaced a Vectronics HF-1500 aka Tucker T-3000 tuner that arc'd a lot on 160m.
Run close to legal limit into a home-brewed Cobra dipole. Used an MFJ-259B analyzer to help create a spreadsheet documenting tuner settings from 1.8 to 29 MHz. The spreadsheet makes it very easy to quickly tune when changing frequency.
I've had no issues with this tuner. Very nice addition to the shack and gets a lot of use in contesting (all modes). An MFJ-826B digital swr/wattmeter sits above it and helps with tuning the amp.
I've been using MFJ products for over 30 years and can't say a bad thing about any of them. Won't say I've never had problems with any of the products but I've always maintained a positive attitude and have always had great service from MFJ...from Martin Jue himself and down.
Would I recommend this tuner? Definitely!

KD5ZSX Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2009 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 9982 new about 2 years ago, have used it daily mostly on 80 & 20, have used it on 160 a few times with no problems, usually at 1KW. It is big, well built and repeatability when using previous settings is great. Have had nothing but good experience with this tuner.

G4FTC Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2007 04:11 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought the MFJ-9982 at the 2006 Dayton Hamvention to replace an MFJ-989C now kept at holiday QTH. Although I never had any problems with the 989C, I thought it was spoilt by what were probably measures to reduce production costs which in turn gave it a cheap feel.

Originally I went to Dayton to specifically look at the Palstar AT-5K tuner - very nicely made but at a price. Looking around the MFJ-9982 caught my eye - the build quality seemed to be acceptable and with a price considerably cheaper than that of the Palstar I opted for the MFJ.

Having now owned the tuner for just over a year I have a good feel for what I consider its positive, negative and neutral points.

Positive points

- The use of Jackson slow motion drives for the two capacitor controls give these controls a nice "quality" feel.

- The incorporation of a PEP reading wattmeter - the calibration of which is quite accurate.

- The internal 9V PP3 battery for the wattmeter seems to last a long time. Although I have recently changed to an external wall-wart supply and removed the battery, the alkaline battery which I fitted at the time of purchase lasted for a complete year and was still going strong - despite on numerous occasions having left the battery switched on for periods of a number of days.

- The ferrite balun is at the input to the "T" network (as opposed to the output as in the MFJ-989C and many other tuners). The advantages of this topology are well documented in many of the Radio Handbooks.

- I've never experienced any flash-over problems. I'm also pleased to see that MFJ are now using the RF power handling capability in the description of this product instead of rather nebulous "input d.c power to the power amplifier" as used to describe the MFJ-989C as a 3kW Tuner.

Neutral Points

- The need to have a battery installed or an external PSU connected for the wattmeter to read - even in non-peak mode.

- The meter lamps only work with an external PSU

- The need to remove the top cover (12 screws) just to replace the battery. A separate battery access panel would be nice.

- The need to remove the battery if using the meter lighting with an external PSU to stop the external PSU from trying to charge the battery (as advised by MFJ Customer Services).

- No indicator to warn that the battery is on, although an indicator such as a LED would take more current than the metering circuit.

- With an external PSU connected the metering circuit is always on.

- I feel that both the variable capacitors could do with a little more capacity. However I haven't found an antenna which it can't bring to an acceptable match.

- The ventilation holes punched in the top cover are not the neatest I've seen (rough edges/burrs to the holes)

- The use of a plastic bush for the inductor turn counter spindle - at the moment seems to be fine but I don't know how it will fare after a longer period of time

Negative points

I don't feel that there is anything really negative about the tuner. It works and does the job!

Problems Experienced

The only problem which I had was when the metering circuit failed as the result of a thunderstorm. During fault finding I found that there are some errors in the manual, in particular the pin numbers on the LM324 IC used in the metering circuit are all wrong! The nice feature is that the LM324 is installed in a socket. The fault was that the two diodes in the SWR Bridge had failed, but having the LM324 mounted in a socket really made tracing and isolating the fault easy.

So would I buy another? Yes.