Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LL-Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for LL-Tuner
LL-Tuner Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ EURO 1195
Description: This balanced antennatuner is a very special one. 100% handmade by Kees PA0LL. Easily holds legal limit 1,500 Watt. Covers 160 - 10 meters. Extremely high efficiency!
More info: http://www.lltuners.nl

You can write your own review of the LL-Tuner.

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2016 11:43 Send this review to a friend
A must have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the LL-tuner for 10 years and i can tell you that this tuner is well build in the style of heavy duty.QRO power is not a problem for this tuner and almost every lenght of antenne is no problem.This tuners really likes short antenna's with only balanced feedline.Every tuner that Kees build has his personal attention and great craftmanship.Had before a Palstar BT1500A with 2x 20 mtrs dipole with 60 mtrs balanced feedline needed to tune and with the LL-tuner only 20 meters of feedline !Needless to say that this tuner is much easier to adjust an antenna then the BT1500A which is also well build.The tuner is working exceptionnaly and it's a joy to look at ! I have the LL tuner but the LL-Hextuner too....curious ? Visit my website : http://www.pa3hgt.nl/LL.htm and maybe other items on my website will be in your interest. Enjoy ! 73,Hans,PA3HGT

PA3GZN Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 06:21 Send this review to a friend
The Best Balanced Line Tuner !   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The LL Hex-Tuner is a well-built, heavy duty tuner for balanced feed lines. It is not only technically outstanding but also a joy to the eye. Its craftsmanship is excellent and its choice of components likewise. Both the roller inductor and capacitor tuning is very smooth. The more you use it, the better it feels. Indexing is perfect, being able to return to frequency with no error, dead on. From the chassis to the luxurious transparent cover, it is absolutely a piece of masterful construction and design.

I run a doublet of 2 x 17 meters, fed with about 20 meters of 450 ohm window line. The LL Hex-Tuner tunes my antenna flawlessly on all HF bands between 6 & 160 meters.
Of course, the significant test of a tuner working with a relatively short dipole is whether it will load the system on 160 meters. This tuner does, almost without losses, so that nearly all power is presented to the antenna! For almost 20 years now, Kees ( PA0LL) has developed and built ATU's in limited series, and undoubtedly all of them will become precious collector items in a couple of years. In short: this unit is a keeper and a very good investment. It merits the consideration of every serious HAM looking for a top of the bill balanced line tuner with well-chosen air core roller-conductors and capacitors capable of handling 1500 Watts peak power in SSB.

See: http://www.qrz.com/db/PA3GZN

N9JG Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2011 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Flawless performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yesterday I took delivery of an immaculate tuner, the LL-Tuner. That same evening I received a telephone call from Kees, the craftsman who had handbuilt the tuner, and he wanted to know if it had arrived in good condition; he then went over with me the care and tuning of his work of art.

My antenna is a sloping inverted vee with the center at 27 feet, and each leg is 75 feet long, with the last 15 feet of each leg bent 90 degrees. The dipole is fed with about 35' of 1" spaced open-wire line. The tuner is able to match this dipole with a 1:1 SWR on all bands from 160-10 meters, except for 30 meters where the SWR is 1.4:1. Running 600 watts on 160 meters, the two roller inductors become warm to the touch, since the radiation resistance of my antenna is quite low on this band.

Although Kees does not recommend the following procedure, on 160 meters I now feed the antenna as a Marconi; I conect both ends of the feedline to one antenna terminal on the back of the tuner and connect the other terminal to ground. Now the antenna is configured as an inverted L, and the antenna length has incresed from 75 feet to 110 feet and when I put 900 watts into the tuner, the rotary inductors remain cool.

Finally, this tuner, unlike many other tuners, does not use a balun at the input. Instead it uses a 1:1 ferrite transformer configuration, with seperate primary and secondary windings. In all my tests while running 900 watts (but not on 30 and 60 meters!) the ferrite core does not warm up, unlike another vendor's tuners.

PA3FZS Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 03:04 Send this review to a friend
Must have tuner for symmetrical antennae  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cees's PA0LL "Big" tuner has now been in use at my modest station for over a year. My antenna real estate is actually nothing more than a small balcony. Before finally discovering symmetrical antenna's, I tried different solutions to be active at my current city dwelling location. Some were fine but often impractical (mono band only, adjusting coil on short vertical, no space for proper counterpoise).

Living in flat does not invite using high power, and having been a QRP enthousiast for many years, Cees explained how my station could be more efficient with a symmetrical antenna. The bonus being able to operate Multiband.

Built the antenna, one leg being folded away into the balcony space while the other leg is sneakily extended into a nearby tree using the Walter Spieth mast (looks and operates like a fishing pole) during the hours of darkness.

Each leg of the antenna is perhaps eight meters in total. I can tune 20, 30, 40 and 80 with it which are the band of activity for me, with 30 and 40 being the favourites. Haven't tried the higher bands much.

Taking the antenna and location (City, flats, street illumination, lots of QRM) in consideration, the results are really good. With less than 5W, I managed to cross the Atlantic multiple times. Europe is no problem at all. Lately I managed YU with 50mWatt. With big gun power like the full 10W I'm normally being heard fine if not overrun by mighthier stations. Of course this is all using CW. I hardly use phone anyway. Cees said that all the RF reaching the tuner would go out into the antenna and I believe it.

Quite literally, this tuner made operating from my home possible and a lot easier. Something that I though to be difficult, if not, impossible.

The quality of the tuner is without equal. Cees always uses the highest grade components of the best materials. The aesthetics are prime quality also. Cees's small changes to the proven design makes this tuner a pleasure to look at. The controls are flawless, tuning is smooth. In fact, I was to taken with this product, that later on I bought the LL S-Match for my UK location. Another excellent PA0LL tuner.

The tuner is not the cheapest around, but the fact that it has returned life to my dormant HAM status is priceless. In hindsight, the S-Match would have been sufficient for me, but just love the luxury of this tuner. An investment for life.

Highly recommended and a must buy if you are using symmetrical antenna's!

PA3AEH Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2010 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Phantastic Results with Exellent Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since about one year I have been testing different antennas in the middle of the town Maastricht using asymmetric automatic tuners.
Three weeks ago I contacted Kees. He advised me to use his LL-S-match. When I got the LL-S-match I was surprised with such an exellent and beautiful Tuner.
It is really a jewel, not only to look at it, but it really works perfect and opened a new world to me. The LL-S-match is a small, but a perfect pice of equipment.
I can match now my poor antenna, 2x 13.5 meter long and only 6 meter high, on my favorite bands 40m, 80m and 160m. The others I did not test yet.
The reports I get are great. The receive performance is the best I ever had since many years.
73, PA3AEH

PD5TS Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Superior quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I visited PA0LL today to get my new LL Super S-match tuner. Kees is very patient, answered all my questions and gave me an extensive introduction. He showed me how all his 3 tuners performed on a dipole of around 25 meters and on an incredible new small "holiday-dipole" kinda tak-tenna style. Unbelievable. It only takes seconds to find an absolute 1:1 match even on 160 meters... These tuners will tune about anything! Next to the performance I have never seen such wonderfull looking equipment. Quality!! Will report after 3 months usage again. 73 Henk

PA3CW Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading a lot of information on the internet about the LL tuner, it soon became clear to me that this tuner had to be special.

Meanwhile i also studied on the principle of tuners and became enthusiastic about the concept of the S match from PA0FRI. I was happy to learn that Kees adapted this principle and also builds the LL-S match now.

I gave Kees a call and I noticed his exceptional professionalism on this area and love for making tuners. I made my decission and asked Kees to build me an S-match. Bear in mind, his tuners are fully hand made, with carefully selected components and materials. His products are innovated all the time on the details.

Yesterday I went to Ermelo to fetch my LL- S match tuner. I was very happy with the result, this is a master peace on beauty, electrical concept and mechanical construction. Added to that the time Kees takes to explain all the details including maintenance instructions makes your LL tuner a special part of he radio set up. Compliments Kees, this customer oriented behaviour not seen much anymore!

No surprise that after connecting the S match to the antenna (inverted V 2x23 m and open line) i had no difficulties at all tuning all bands from 160 to 10 m. All bands could easily be tuned with the standard variable capacitor, without having to add additional capacity by the switch. The only thing that lacks in a small tilt stand to make it in line with my K3/K2 line of elecraft. New idea Kees as option? :)

If you can convince to built you an LL tuner, get one, you won't be sorry.

73, Dick PA3CW

PA3GZW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding symmetric tuner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A year ago I have visited Kees PA0LL to inform me about his LL-tuners. When I got home a had ordered already one of his LL-tuners.
Now I have used this tuner for one year and I can say it is an outstanding tuner. I never had a better one... In all QSO's I made with this tuner I got the best RST's with remarks as: big signals, outstandig audio, 40 db over 9, and so on.
All my antennas with balanced lines are giving not any problem working with this "wunderfull piece of art". Congratualions Kees with the outstanding quality of your LL-tuner and thanks for the friendly service from your side.
JP!

HB9ANM Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer, beautiful design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using several tuners, some by high-end manufacturers. This one beats them all and performs as beautifully as it looks. Smooth tuning, excellent stability and repeatability, a perfect match on all bands (including 160 with my 2 x 16 meter doublet and 23 meter window line)… Everything you can expect from a high-end piece of equipment. Excellent support by Kees, PA0LL. In spite of the two capacitors, it is not a double PI filter but a double L tuner using either the input or the output capacitor, depending on whether the antenna is high or low impedance, a better solution than switching the capacitor back and forth. Large plate spacing is not required for the input capacitor, since the voltage at 50 ohm will never exceed some 275 V even at (US) legal limit! And its value can be increased up to 5'000 pF in increments of 500 pF with the front-panel controlled caps. Very useful especially when your antenna is too short for top band! The special shape of the output capacitor plates helps reduce residual capacitance to a very low level. The silver-plated, air-wound roller inductors tune very smoothly. The whole set-up is strictly symmetrical, keeping all connections as short and direct as possible. All components are top quality and the whole tuner is a feast for the eyes.

Kees no longer uses an input balun but a straightforward 1:1 toroid transformer! A design which, as far as I know, is not found on any other commercial tuner. But it is very effective indeed and even after 60 seconds at 1 kW, the transformer does not feel warm to the touch at all. The result is superb balance, only some 100 mA difference between the feeders (at high power) as measured with an RF ammeter – but even this is probably due to the antenna, which can never be perfectly balanced in itself!

Expensive? Well, not really, considering the fact that you will never need to buy another tuner again!

Yes, it's really a keeper! Thanks, Kees!

Richard – HB9ANM

DO8WA Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 03:12 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
talking about the new product "LL Super S-match".
Working here together with 2x20m dipole and 28m of ladder line.

Exellent work. Even a wider Ohm range than the standard LL-Tuner(at 1KW+).
Hi/Lo can be switched at the front - no fuzzy messing around at the output on the back.
Always meets the written down Dip points. Puts a smile on my face every time I tune.
Not to mention the look(made like a swiss watch)and the support from Kees.

Keep your MFJs for fielddays, but use Kees´ in the shack.