Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | VizKey Right-Angle Bug Help

Reviews Summary for VizKey Right-Angle Bug
VizKey Right-Angle Bug Reviews: 47 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $232
Description: A modern handcrafted version of the right-angle bug.

You can write your own review of the VizKey Right-Angle Bug.

W6FCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Just a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Runs smooth - better than my vibroplex. Very easy to operate.
The "build" is quality - what a great job building a great product. I'm very pleased.
John - W6FCS
KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Sweet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I would give a single paddle a shot, and this just fits my fist to a T. I never got even close to using the iambic feature on double paddles, and I find that the throw of the single paddle just makes more sense to me. Beautifully made and super easy to adjust to your preferences.
N0JRN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To say I'm pleased is an understatement. I've been a CW nut for 27 years. I spent most of that time on paddles. Just over a year ago, I converted to a bug. I've since purchased 3 different bugs including a very nice Lightening. I never really got comfortable with using a bug and struggled with timing etc. UNTIL NOW ! I just bought a 90 degree VizKey. After a short period of time adjusting it, I put it on the air in an hour long ragchew. I just can't believe the difference. WOW ! It's balance is the best I've tried. Appearance is awesome. After getting it set up, using it is so comfortable. Using the VizKey compared to other bugs I have is like night and day. The VizKey is by far the best in every respect.. IF your looking to add a new key to your shack, give Tom a call and give this key a shot. It's amazing..
K6DMY Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2012 14:10 Send this review to a friend
The VizKey is a unique, and excellent work of function & art  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was licensed 58 years ago and have owned various CW keys. The VizKey Right Angle Bug is excellent because it is hand-made of solid brass parts which are integrated into a precise and stable piece of art and function. The key is stable, takes up little space and maintains its precise adjustments after many hours of use. Additionally, Tom, K4VIZ is a delight to work with and he guarantees his key for life. It's definitely a "5". Howard, K6DMY
K6HL Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Smooth!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this key for my birthday and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. As others have said: smooth, quality build, beautiful to look at and use (it looks even better than the pictures). The best feature for me is that it makes clean dots without fussing around with dampening methods. I've used a Vibroplex Presentation model since 1980 and I thought I would never change. I still like the bug, but the Vizkey is right up there with it. One more note - mine came with the large weight but I really prefer smaller ones. I emailed Tom and he responded immediately saying he would send one right out - no charge. Made in the USA!
KJ5XF Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great bug!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw Tom's website and after reading several of the reviews here on, I decided to go ahead and purchase one.
As others have mentioned, it is a very smooth bug!!

Additionally, Tom's support couldn't be better! I had a question on how to reduce the tension on the
"dit" spring and he responded to my email 15 minutes later...

Smooth bug!
Great support!

AE0SL Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2011 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful, smooth, and top quality bug.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the smoothest, highest quality bug that I have ever seen. On top of that, it is beautiful to look at. With a weight of 3 pounds it stays put as I slap away at it. The bug operates very quietly, and has a smooth, comfortable feel.

I wanted a bug that could drop down to around 10-wpm for QRS contacts. Tom equipped my bug with an extra large weight at no extra charge. It gives me a very nice speed range with easy and quick adjustments.

You will not find a sending instrument with higher quality construction. It uses brass throughout and delivers a solid feel and adjustments that stay adjusted.

I liked the bug so much, that I featured it on my QRZ page. I can assure you that I have no financial interest in these bugs. I just think we should spread the word when we find a truly remarkable product.
K2VCO Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2011 11:39 Send this review to a friend
A very good instrument for a very good price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my VizKey 90 Degree Bug for a week, and I like it more and more. For comparison, I have several Vibroplex, Speed-X and J-36 type bugs.
As others have said, the combination of weight and geometry keeps it firmly planted on the desk, unlike my other bugs which all require a piece of rubberized cloth to hold them in place.
The action is smooth and feels much less sloppy than all of my other bugs. I feel that my bug sending has improved in the past week!
A problem that I've had with traditional bugs has been the tendency to split dots unless the dot spring tension is quite high. This is not the case with the VizKey, which works fine with much less tension, making it less tiring to use for long periods.
Another good feature is that the VizKey can key my K3 directly without any debouncing circuitry. I can't count on my other bugs to make clean dots without special treatment!
The VizKey is also relatively quiet, thanks to a rubber tip on the damper, and the fact that it requires a lighter touch than the usual bug.
My bug came with a large weight that made it possible to send quite slowly -- more slowly than I needed, so I asked Tom for a lighter one -- which he sent me gratis! The only advantage of the heavier weight is to extend the bottom of the speed range -- the light one seems to produce more consistent dits in the 20-30 wpm range, which is where I like to operate.
Construction is solid brass, and 'solid' is a good way to describe its overall appearance. It is quite small, more like the old style Blue Racer than the full-size Vibros. But unlike the racer, it stays put.
Of course it is not as attractive as, say, a Begali Intrepid. It is a tool, not a work of art. But for functionality, I haven't used a better bug.
I ordered the bug online in the evening, it shipped the next day, and arrived via Priority Mail in 3 days. The price of $210 included shipping. Tom answered my emails immediately. I couldn't ask for better service.
WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2011 20:05 Send this review to a friend
OH MAN! OH MAN!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a CW op for over 50 years and this is simply the very best bug I've ever operated. It holds adjustment without compromise or question. The range of adjustments allow for precisely tailoring to your style. The tension range is perfect. There is NO slop. I'm a 'slapper' but the physics involved with this right angle design ensure that the key stays put -- on a polished wooden desk with no friction pad beneath it. Try that with a Vibroplex! It makes it possible to send code with the precision of a keyer yet retain the individuality of your own fist. The physical presentation is superb. Tom's website does not reveal that the product has an elegant "engine turn" finish that is unquestionably attractive. It's like a little surprise when you open the package and see that finish! The value for the money is a rare occurence in today's world. I feel guilty that I paid such so little for so much.
9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2010 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Smooth Bug  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to set up, smooth, responsive. Very quiet. You won't be disappointed.

Video of my efforts using this key :