Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Knight T-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Knight T-150
Knight T-150 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 1.9/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Late 60's transmitter kit from Knight. Operated under crystal control or with internal VFO. Used 2 - 6146 B in final for about 150 watts.

You can write your own review of the Knight T-150.

K7UA Rating: 0/5 Aug 15, 2006 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Bad rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a brand new general class I built a T150 when they first came out. I was about 13 years old in the 1960s. The VFO drifted badly. On AM the VFO was useable, but on CW it had a terrible chirp. CW with a XTAL had only a mild chirp, but I bought the rig to get a VFO for my new general class ticket. The T150 also used screen modulation for AM. A very poor second to a plate modulated Heath DX100 or Apache. I did make some AM QSO's with it, but got very discouraged with the constant CW chirp reports. I sent it back to Allied Radio. They tried to fix the chirping lemon. They couldn't fix it and neither could a group of electrical engineering instructors at the local college. The T150 was an expensive total nightmare for a 13 year old. In the end my father (K7SAJ now SK) made Allied radio take the thing back for a full refund. Thanks Dad! A real first class LEMON! I would be curious if anyone ever got one to work well on CW.

AH6FC Rating: 2/5 Aug 10, 2006 06:18 Send this review to a friend
It Transmitted  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first transmitter, bought it for $35 used in 1968. Used it for about 2 years, first with crystal control at 75 watts as a novice then "full power" as a general and advanced later.
The VFO would take you on a voyage up and down the band, even after it was well heated and "stablized." Except for an occassional chirp on cw the transmitter worked ok. Used grid plate keying, so one became careful after the first couple shocks from the hand key.

Used it with a Heath GR-64 receiver, so you know I was a Big Gun!

73, Bill