Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Kantronics KPC-3 Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics KPC-3 Plus
Kantronics KPC-3 Plus Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: VHF/UHF TNC
More info: http://www.kantronics.com/kpc3+.htm

You can write your own review of the Kantronics KPC-3 Plus.

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased a KPC-3+ from HRO.

It is an excellent TNC and smaller than the KPC-2 which I have owned for many years. It is small enough for mobile or portable work and can run on just a small battery. But not to small for the shack.

I payed $199.95 with free shipping and HRO was very helpful with any questions I had.

ZL4AX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Platinum Standard, I'd say!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No review can do justice to the greatest stand-alone packet radio unit ever produced. We all know the spec: 100% reliability, tiny size, microscopic power requirements, immense capabilities on all systems. You only need one. (although I have a dozen or more!).
I've been running these for over a decade, and ran old-model KPC3's before that.
True USA excellence that no other manufacturer has gotten close-to. If I wrote a 20 page detailed review, it would all be 110% good, but there isn't room.
Like others however, I'm sad that Kantronics seem to have slowly lost interest and enthusiasm for their brilliant products as the years have passed. The current KPC3plus should have gone to USB connectors by now, but still uses old 9 and 25-pin serial plugs. And the current V9.1 firmware has two bugs in it that I've found and reported to Kantronics over a ten year period, but they haven't fixed. Come on guys, get up to speed - you've been the 'industry standard' all this time, don't turn your backs on us now !
But don't be put off - this is THE tnc to buy and enjoy. There is nothing in the same ball-park. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' and 'Space Shuttle' of Packet Radio. Never been beat!

KA3YAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 11:09 Send this review to a friend
The Gold Standard in 1200 baud TNCs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Form, fit & function...the KPC-3 Plus cannot be beat in today's market. Of course there are things that I'd like to see improve with the KPC line of TNCs, but that doesn't change that the KPC-3 Plus is without a doubt the "gold standard" for 1200 baud VHF TNCs.

I have two KPC-3 Plus units. One device is at my home station running a Winlink 2000 Packet RMS and the other has been modified to add a built in GPS receiver for APRS. It also has a 9V battery connector in case I want to operate on battery power only.

I'm not going to use this review to evaluate Kantronics customer service. Based purely on the KPC-3 Plus hardware, there is very little bad to say about it.

K1RI Rating: 3/5 Nov 9, 2014 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice unit, been a Kantronics user since their 1st model. KPC-3 Plus works fine but I am very disappointed in the digital manual. At the price they get for these units a booklet would be nice or possibly a option of say $5 when purchasing a new unit.

K2MFW Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 11:50 Send this review to a friend
15 years and still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my KPC-3 for 14 years without any problems at all. I also have the KPC-3+ since they first came out and am running 9.1 in her. I've never ever had a problem with the KPC's and both have been through numerous Firmware upgrades. I couldn't ask for a better product with such amazing reliability.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2013 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Still the standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's hard to believe that I wrote a review of this TNC almost 13 years ago. Since that time the packet DX spotting stations have come and gone, but I have become active on APRS. We also have WinLink and regular packet radio activity in the area. My KPC-3+ has been updated with the 9.1 firmware and I have added the additional memory capacity chip to it. I feel that the KPC-3+ is still the standard for packet radio TNCs available today.

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Sensitive, Remotely configurable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this units at work several years ago. used in commercial applications with 12.5 khz , +/- 2.5 khz deviation. it worked pretty well. I liked the fact it can be remotely configurable. and it is quite sensitive on receive, regardless of input audio levels. I believe this design is at least 10 years old, but it works well.

IK8TEO Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2011 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best 5+++++  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have 2 of them, version 8.3 and 9.1. bought many years ago. They works perfectly the first time and for years. One is mounted in the mountains and is a digipeater aprs, always on without any problems, even at very low temperatures. Great achievements, indestructible. I hope to share in the other early.
Are they timeless?
I have tried many others, starting with AeA, but the versatility of Kantronics is unique.
Remotely adjustable everything, including audio levels of transmission and precision of internal clock. Others do not do this!
Best 73 to all de Francesco IK8TEO

WD4INS Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 11:06 Send this review to a friend
They just can't take lightning!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These units are great. I've dealt with every firmware version except 9.0, even the older non plus versions and they've all worked great. Used them for straight packet, APRS stations,trackers and dipipeaters without a hitch. The only one that went belly up took a lightning strike but you cant blame Kantronics for that. I've tried MFJ and the Kantronics TNC's blow them in the weeds in all respects. When I need another TNC it will be a Kantronics!

AE7RS Rating: 1/5 May 19, 2008 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Ok hardware - lousy support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Unit put into service about 6 months ago. Hardware works ok, but firmware needs help. Found this on the Kantronics support web page ...

Kantronics has recently become aware of an anomaly in the version 9.0 software for KPC-3+ and KPC-9612+ units. The anomaly is only in APRS DIGI applications. In the APRS DIGI application, UIDUPE, UIDIGI, UIFLOOD, and UITRACE did not provide duplicate checking for APRS packets as originally designed.

Kantronics is offering a new version of the KPC-3+ and KPC-9612+ software, version 9.1, to address the problem. The new version is available for KPC-3+ and KPC-9612+ modems for $40 per unit, plus $5.00 for shipping and handling.

Pretty amazing, they screw up and expect their customers to foot the bill. I sent an email saying I would apply that $45 towards another brand TNC.