Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Kantronics KPC-3 Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics KPC-3 Plus
Kantronics KPC-3 Plus Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: VHF/UHF TNC

You can write your own review of the Kantronics KPC-3 Plus.

AE4XO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2006 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my KPC3+ sometime shortly after they came out. I think it is version 8.3. I like the plus model because of the ability to run the GPS on the 9pin connector. great idea so that the PC still be hoocked up when needed. I run mine now on APRS ofcourse and it has been great. Thanks!
KE4FGW Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2005 13:05 Send this review to a friend
I have 3 of these  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three of these KPC3 TNCs. Two of them are the version 8.3 and one is a version 5.1. I've been using one of them in my APRS box for about eight years now. I really enjoy using them. I like the remote operation feature too. I've had no problems out mine. I've used them on mobile and HTs as well. I really like the second com port for the GPS. It stays hooked up all the time.
AE4XO Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2004 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Have 3 and they are great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 KPC-3+s in service for APRS. I have to say that these are the neatest units that I have ever owned. They do the job, with the WIDEN-N without a hitch! In total I have purchased 6
KPC-3 units, the first was in 1995. That one runs as a tracker and has been flawless. Just my 2 cents!
K6XR Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2004 10:20 Send this review to a friend
good tnc  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hooked it up and it worked straight-away. Used with varius radio's and various pieces of software. Never a moment's worth of trouble. runs 24/7 on our lan and never misses a beat.
KF4KNF Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2004 02:46 Send this review to a friend
Com Problems 24/7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this unit over a year ago and was never able to get it working correctly. Recently I began my attempted to make it functional (over an year later). It seems to have com problems with every computer I install it on. The manual is ok but needs to be reorganized because it puts thinks alittle out of order. If you like reading directions in step by step format its great!

I have called Kantronics in the past and had trouble getting through during the designated 4 hrs each day they are free for support. The two times I did get through the support person was not very helpful. He talked to me like I was a moron and was very rude. He also didnt want to help me much since I was using 3rd party software even though it came with the TNC. If you ask me, I would pick another brand and spare yourself the headache. The product seems corrupt and the service... oh wait. Lack of service I should say. Do the ham comunity a favor and dont support this company until they change their stand.
KF8ZR Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2003 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Great device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've enjoyed using these for years. I've got a portable station running on batteries only. I took the first aid baggie that came with my Chevy blazer and took out all the first aid junk and I have a nice sack to put the modem in with the radio on the side and the cables and any extras. Then I can set it up anywhere I go.
Works very nice and has never had any troubles. I connect it to a wizard 770 palmtop for the terminal and an Alinco DJ191T for the radio.
N3TXU Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2003 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Boycotting Kantronics  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first unboxed the TNC, it was wonderful. The concept is great, the thing will even run off a 9v battery if you're so inclined.

Just as another member posted, this TNC worked great for a few months. I tried everything including spending a great deal of time with Kantronics tech support. The "resolution" to my problem was to buy a new prom for a TNC that is only a few months old.

I was gossly unimpressed with Kantronics idea of support and as a result will not purchase another product from them. I am currently deciding between the Tiny-2 and the MFJ-1270C
VA2PHL Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2003 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Tnc But missing good wiring Diagramms  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to packet. My friend did buy a sound card interface and had mixed result. I wanted something that was easy to operate. This is the one. I would have give a 5/5 but the manual lacks pictures for wiring to the tnc. I had to do some digging on the internet. But that is probably me i am not familliar with tnc to radio cable. Anyway it was easy to find what i was looking for. it took about 10 minutes to do the cable and.... i sent my packet and i was connected. it is too bad because the manual is good minus diagramms.
The unit is easily put in a vehicule and can take any old junk 15$ computer to operate it.

I am (HAM) happy.
KC0LKE Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2003 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The KPC-3 + has been a great TNC. I thought that it was very easy to set up. In a metter of about 10 minutes of putting in the commands. Then near 30-45 minutes fixing the cables so you can hook it to your radio. If your looking for a TNC I would recomend it. Its also very small and portable.73 KC0LKE
N0RQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2002 21:41 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first TNC, so I don't know very much about them. However, this one was easy to set up. So far, I've used it primarily for APRS. The manual was CD-only, no print version, but that wasn't a big deal. For $165, I'm happy with it.