Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Central Electronics 20A Multiphasic Transmitter (sideband genera Help

Reviews Summary for Central Electronics 20A Multiphasic Transmitter (sideband genera
Central Electronics 20A Multiphasic Transmitter (sideband genera Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.50
Description: One of the earliest commercial ssb xmiter/generator.

You can write your own review of the Central Electronics 20A Multiphasic Transmitter (sideband genera.

K5MO Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2010 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Still working 55 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these about 10 years ago, cleaned it up and checked the electrolytic caps...all were still fine. Shortly I added the matching VFO . The whole affair worked quite well out of the chute. I added a WRL sweep tube linear (the LA1) that matches it quite nicely and also operate it periodically on the VSSB net. It's a wonderful piece of gear that is still usable today.

K9EID Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2006 14:02 Send this review to a friend
CE 20A Multiphase SSB Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The CE 20A is a marvelous piece of equipment. Designed by Wes Schum in the late 40's, I look upon Wes as the true father of SSB. I built his 20A kit in 1958. I bought the surplus BC 458 jeep transmitter (paid $5.00 from Harvey Radio) and did the Wes Schum modification. I now had a VFO. You certainly didn't want to be rock bound and for five bucks you could move anywhere ! The 20A became a part of my electronic education. I learned so much from building, operating and maintaining it's phasing generator, mixer and finals. I designed and built a 6 and 2 meter switching transverter that was featured in a 1962 CQ article. This gave me 160 through 2 meter SSB operation. I later added the incredible C.E. 600L. Think about this a minute. Wes designed this NO TUNE 500 watt linear in 1958. It only has a bandswitch and works so well with the 10 watts from the C.E. 20A. So much fun. How cool !

I still have this 48 year old technological wonder. It's usually on the air every Sunday during the K5LYN Vintage SSB net (14.292 1400 CDT). Hope to catch you on the air with it and the Collins 75A4 receiver. With it's phasing generator providing some of the best sounding SSB audio, you will have a difficult time telling it from some of the modern day transcievers.

CE 20A IT blaszed the trail for all SSB transmitters.

BOB HEIL, K9EID

AH6FC Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2006 13:18 Send this review to a friend
First time on ssb  Time owned: more than 12 months
This boat anchor was fabulous. I had one for about a year before I figured out why it "didn't" work. Of course no instructions were available. This rig was old in 1969. Had it hooked up with a Knight T-150 am/cw transmitter. The 20A used a surplus vfo, BC248 or something like that. I tried and tried, could only copy a very weak signal on my ultra hot Heathkit GR64 receiver. Finally, after a year, I realized I had been transmitting on a harmonic frequency. I guess the fact that I never received a citation was a testament to my lousy antenna, hi hi. Anyhow, once I figured out what was wrong, it worked! Boy what a blast. My first QSO was on 15 meter SSB with DL...though it was 35 years ago, it was one of those thrills you never forget. Never spoke to anybody who used one of these. Had good ssb quality and was easy to use...once I got rid of the dummy hat...

Like all the rest, wish I had kept this one!

73, Bill