Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Swan (Siltronix) 1011 series Help

Reviews Summary for Swan (Siltronix) 1011 series
Swan (Siltronix) 1011 series Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$499.00
Description: A 10 meter Amateur Tranceiver with 11 meter CB RECEIVE-ONLY capacity as-built. The Siltronix 1011 plain, the Siltronix 1011B version and the plain Swan 1011 are the same basic unit with different cosmetics. The story goes that Hams and the ARRL made a hugh protest to Swan and when the first "Swan 1011" ad (shown in the Home Page Advertisement) was first seen in 73 Magazine. The rig was seen by Hams as nothing but a Swan CB tranceiver, when in fact it did contain the 10 Meter Amateur Band. Damage control kicked in back at Swan and the seperate Siltronix Company was formed to market the renamed rig. Later came the models 1011C and 1011D.
More info: http://www.radiowrench.com/siltronix/

You can write your own review of the Swan (Siltronix) 1011 series.

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2017 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I'm not sure what the others who rated this rig have used but it's far from Great.It's an OK rig but it's far from a dream rig for sure.Even after warm up it drifts quiet a bit.Transmit audio reports on SSB are usually pretty good & AM are just OK after some tweaking of the Carrier Insertion & Microphone gain controls.This is for sure NOT a serious AM rig since you will kill that expensive transmit tube which in mine is still the 8950.These are popular in the CB world & generally they ran the guts out of them looking for those last 2 or 3 watts because everybody knows that those 2 or 3 watts will make a huge difference in the received signal on the 11 meter band.The noise blanker helps on receive but it's much better with a good DSP filtered speaker or some type of external DSP unit.Needs a squelch knob as well but it's a bit late for that addition.If you buy one of any of the varieties made splurge & get the matching frequency counter & adjust the rig so it will work a lot more of the 10 meter SSB portion(28.300-28.500)of the band by making a simple adjustment inside the cover plainly marked 28.500.Turn it slowly & set it to 28.300 where the dial is reading 28.500 & you will get a lot more contacts.Again it's far from a dream rig but you can make some contacts & even more if you make that adjustment that I mentioned.It's just OK & far from GREAT but it's better than nothing & it will for sure keep the shack warm in the winter & it glows in the dark as well. {:>)

KB9RZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2015 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Much Fun Back in the Day  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ahhhhh yes, free-banding back in the 70s when I was a teenager, on the Siltronix 1011-D with D-104 and 300 watt amp. Those were the days. Had tons of fun with that radio before I went straight and hammed up. That thing was a drifter though.

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Classic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Made many many contacts on this radio over the years. Built like a tank. Keeps you warm in the winter without heat.

Still have mine today. Wouldn't take three times what I paid for it.

AD4DQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Great 10 Meter Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a 1011C over a year ago. Was modded and the 8950 was shot. Well after realigning and a NOS 8950 she is firing on all 8 cylinders. The receive is very good and transmit power of 100 watts is the norm. I like the VFO with the classic Swan fast and slow tune dials. The rig is stable after warmup with no drift. For an old boat anchor this radio is very nice and I would recommend anyone to pick one up and enjoy 10 meters. I used mine on the last WW CQ DX contest and logged over 200 contacts in 3 hours time. An easy radio to tuneup and fun to operate.

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2010 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice classic 10M-only rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up two of these in decent (but non-working) condition on the cheap, and sat on them for nearly two years. Eventually, I shipped them to John Bruchey (who used to be with Swan) for repairs. If you need one fixed, John is DEFINITELY heads above in the repair arena for these sets! John retuned the 10M band so that both cover from 28.300 to 28.800, which is a decent mod because they don't do CW anyhow. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten John to retune the CB band to 28.3 to 28.8, and the 10M band to cover 29.0 to 29.5. I didn't think about it until now. Both came back from him ready to put on the air, and I look forward to many pleasurable hours of use as the sunspot cycle continues to improve. -AJ4VM

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Sillytronix! :-P  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these once. I gave $30.00 for the 1011D, SP 1011, and the FD 1011 digital display!! What a steal and what a pretty rig! It was hardly ever used. All of the controls abd the VFO were tight, vernier, and all of the tubes were original even the very hard to find 8950 final tube. The rig worked FB with full output of 160 watts into my dummy load. The rig was however, opened up for 11 meter TX but i restored the rig to stock specs and tuned the VFO to track down into the lower part of the 10 meter "Novice band". The receiver on this old rig was very clean clear and sensitive. Nothing beats good old tube audio. I know a lot of older hams down this rig as a 1970s CB craze freebanders rig but it IS a legit 10 meter rig.
Overall, its a fun old rig and a Swan to boot.

SWANMAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2006 23:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Rig !  Time owned: months
I purchased my first Siltronix 1011-D new back in 1977, and to this day I still use it. Absolutely GREAT on 10-meters, and I can listen to the folks on 11 as well if I want to. The only addition I've done so far is to get the matching Swan 1200X amplifier, frequency display, meter, and the SP-1011 external speaker, which make this a complete station. After warm-up, this thing is pretty much rock solid on frequency.

W5EN Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2006 19:28 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorites  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig was my first exposure to the fun of dx back in the 70's CB boom. No I did not use this rig for anything against the FCC rules, but it was tempting. After getting my ticket, my first qso with a 1011 was with KH6 using an old "astroplane" antenna. Sadly I sold my original 1011 to help pay for college, but I now own two originial Swan 1011's and I enjoy listening to truck drivers for a nostalgic time. Plus I will be right back on 10 when the band returns, using my 1011. Of course it does not measure up to today's processor controlled radios. However, I love the tube audio on SSB. Plus even with my somewhat limited technical skills I can work on this rig without fear of me making the problem worse.
One drawback is the use of an 8950 amp tube in the Siltronix line. My Swan 1011 uses a much more common 6LQ6 final tube. If you ever have wanted to learn how to work on and use tube gear the 1011 line is a nice affordable place to start.

KB5DOH Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2006 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dispite what some say and the fact of truth I feel the Siltronix line of TX was and still is a great radio/TX, there has always abuse by some people and always will but it has been my experiance that some do more harm to this great hobby of amateur radio when they mean to do good for it. When you can find a 1011 in good shape and take care of it the 1011 is great I have always liked the 1011 it is a good 10 meter TX radio the only draw back is it from the factory only covers from 28.500 up it should have covered from 28.200 to 28.900 +/- it was made as good as Swan and even with the new name I concider it a Swan. My experience with 1011's has been good have made many a good contacts, my other brand is Kenwood TS=520s, TS-140s, thats about all I have had and great radios.