Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Antenex Phantom UHF 3 dB-MEG BLACK Help

Reviews Summary for Antenex Phantom UHF 3 dB-MEG BLACK
Antenex Phantom UHF 3 dB-MEG BLACK Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $50.00 tuned to frequency
Description: Whipless Design: The patented whipless design of the Phantom antenna allows car washes without removing the antenna. Whipless means they don't look like antennas, attract less attention, less vandalism, and have lower wind resistance. The Phantom is also less susceptible to damage by trees, garages or other obstructions.
Field Diversity: Field diversity means that the antenna is simultaneously sensitive to both the electric and magnetic fields of the signal, like having two antennas. Field diversity makes the antenna resistant to the picket-fence fading and multipath nulls that are found in urban operation and undulating mobile environments.

You can write your own review of the Antenex Phantom UHF 3 dB-MEG BLACK.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2015 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for DMR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using this antenna for about 6 months now. I do have several Larsen, & Diamond 5.5 db 41" antennas, but this antenna works great on a multiple repeater DMR system here in Florida. I never run out of range going from one repeater, to another. Sure, if I was in the middle of nowhere, I'd grab another antenna, but for local use here, it works great. I'm using a 450-470 version because I also need GMRS coverage too. While I'm sure my other antennas would give better range, for my needs, this antenna is perfect. Besides, it looks great in the center of the trunk lid on my white 05 Impala.
KE4RWS Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2008 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna years ago to see how well it stood up against a standard 1/4-wave (6-inch vertical). Although the phantom performed decent enough, the standard 6-inch vertical 1/4-wave performed better in that it has WAY more bandwidth than the phantom style antenna, which is typically the case with these type antenna's.

In my opinion it's actually better to run a standard quarter-wave vs. the phantom (at least for UHF amateur purposes). A 6-inch standard UHF 1/4-wave whip is marginally taller than the equivalent phantom but you don't have SWR issues throughout the 420-450 MHz 70cm band the way you do with the phantom.

Just my opinion . . .
K8GLD Rating: 3/5 Apr 27, 2008 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Overall a good performer given the type of antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Overall this isn't that bad of an antenna, but remember it's certainly not a 5/8 wave gain antenna. If you want to run a "slick-top" car, then the antenna performs as such. I would rate it's overall performance close to that of the standard 6" Motorola/MaxRad/Antenna Quarter-Wave NMO antenna, but the whip version out hears the Phantom UHF overall in the ham bands. For the money, I'd stick with the standard 1/4 wave NMO antennas as they are cheap and easily replaceable and provide that little bit of extra performance overall in the 70-CM band. Tested frequency range (430-470MHz.)