Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | B-Square Engineering dual band j-pole Help

Reviews Summary for B-Square Engineering dual band j-pole
B-Square Engineering dual band j-pole Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $34.95 plus S/H
Description: 2M/70CM dual band j-pole antenna made from stainless steel, elements attached using silver brazing, broad bandwidth, easy to attach to any size mast with common radiator hose clamp.
More info: http://www.b-squareengineering.com

You can write your own review of the B-Square Engineering dual band j-pole.

KJ6HYC Rating: 2/5 Jan 31, 2011 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Has its problems, look elseware  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After reading some of the reviews I purchased the B-Square J-Pole and installed it on my roof. I am disappointed as the SWR on the 440/70cm always comes in high >1.8. I also have found that the insulator used in the antenna is hydroscopic, it absorbs water when it rains or misty the resistance between the center conductor and shield of the antennas connector goes low ohms. I had to remove the antenna and disassemble it, bake the connector to remove the moisture and the resistance. I then used silicone spray/grease to prevent the water absorbsion. On the positive side, it is a "stealthy" antenna.

WW4CC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 11:16 Send this review to a friend
It works-Very Well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Almost as good performance as my old Diamond X-30A. I'm hitting repeaters 20 to 40 and sometimes 50 miles away regularly with 50 watts from a Yaesu ft-8800R with absolutely no sweat! It's at a height of 10', with SWR in both bands flat on 50' of RG8 mini. I couldn't be happier. Well Done B2 Engineering.

K5KKX Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2008 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Stainless Steel 2M-70Cm J-Pole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice one piece, corrosion resistant, silver brazed, dual band J-pole. It is very stealthy and has a very low wind load. I have mine mounted to a PVC vent pipe using radiator clamps, up around 18 ft. near peak of roof.

Get out 50-70 miles with Yaesu FT-7800R with 40/50 watts. Purchased on ebay. Very happy so far.

K4GUN Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2007 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Pretty happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have mine in the attic of my townhouse and it works very well. I'm hitting some very distant repeaters at 50 watts. The fact that my attic has cinderblock firewalls on two sides does limit the effectiveness, but that would be true on any VHF antenna. Even with that limitation, it does everything I need.

The only thing I would suggest with this product is that it would be helpful if the leg on the base bracket had screw holes. I had to drill holes in it so I could attach it to the 2x4 studs in the attic. Not a big deal, but it would be nice.

KI4FAU Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2006 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product, Good "Stealth" Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a ground floor apartment dweller. I had tried the usual tricks to enjoy 2M & 440 without drawing the neighbors attention to myself, but my physical location just wasn't letting me get beyond a couple of *truly* local machines.

Enter the B-Square Engineering Dual-Band J-Pole into this equation. I stumbled into the product online and read some of the company's feedback on that big online auction site, then decided to go ahead and order one of these antennas. The antenna arrived quickly, safely packed, and ready to go right out of the box. You would have to see one of these antennas in person to get a real idea as to the quality of how they are built. The crew at B-Square does a first-rate job with the product.

The reason I refer to this antenna as a good stealth antenna is that the thin stainless steel elements virtually disappear into the surrounding view vs. say trying to conceal a copper tube j-pole. Unless someone were looking (and looking hard, at that!) for an antenna outside my apartment, I doubt it would ever be noticed even though it is in plain view with a couple of large radiator hose clamps holding it to my deck rail. (The clamps are actually the most visible part of the installation!)

Performance has been outstanding, especially considering the physical obstructions around my apartment and the fact that the antenna is mounted to a deck rail about 5' above the ground! 10 watts will get me pretty reliable repeater coverage for about a 25 mile radius on 2M (slightly less distance on 440). SWR has been very low / flat across both bands, again showing that the crew at B-Square has really gotten things right with this design.

I know the j-pole is a cheap antenna with arguable performance vs. other designs, but for me this antenna has let me reach out of my apartment without being noticed by the neighbors, so I consider it worth it's weight in gold!