Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cushcraft D3 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft D3
Cushcraft D3 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $369.95
Description: Rotatable Dipole for 10, 15, and 20 meters
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft D3.

IZ1CLB Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2010 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
A well made dipole, it work like a dipole. Simple tuning on 30m band. At the top of my small (10 meters) pole from 2005, with very strong wind, snow and ice; no problem. Some rust in the bolts at the feedpoint, still no swr till now.

73 de IZ1CLB

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 19:25 Send this review to a friend
effective performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is up at 45 feet. Using a rotor to turn it. From June until Dec 31, 2009 I worked 175 countries with it. Most of the time I was running 100 watts. I have used it with an amplifier too. I have been able to work Zone 23, 24 and 26 on Twenty meters which is our most difficult path. Most of the activity has been on 20 CW but that is only because of the limited propagation at the moment. During the December ARRL Ten Meter Contest it worked very well for me. Ground wave propagation sounded like a yagi to me. Ten opened with Es for several hours and this was fun. In a contest like that the dipole works better than a yagi which reduces your signal off the back by several S units. I have found over my 57 years on the air that dipoles are under appreciated. That is because they are used very little. Instead the inverted V which does not work as well (in my opinion) is used more often. These inverted V setups do not work as well. Look at the ARRL Antenna Book for a comparison of the two antennas on the polar plots.

This antenna gives me an SWR of 1.4 to 1 over my desired part of the band (CW). The price is fair. It has a low profile. I have used large yagi antennas over my career. This is a step down but not that far.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for Stealth  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Cushcraft D3 when I lived in an HOA controlled area. This antenna was just what I needed to get on the air without having to mount it outside. I successfully mounted the D3 and a D3W in my attic which was about 35 feet by 50 feet. I just assembled the antennas in the attic in a straight line fashion and hung them from the roof trusses with a 2X4 and used nylon ties to keep the elements level, with one antenna on each side of the attic. Tuning was a little difficult because of tight spaces, but the plus side is you don't have to really tighten the elements too snug because there are no weather or wind issues. My only suggestions for this configuration is to get all the antennas in place before you tune to avoid any interaction you may get from adding an antenna later, and if necessary, use a tunable counterpoise system if your on an upper floor to minimize any stray RF, and use as little power as necessary. On the air I got good reports and many Ops were shocked to learn that I was using attic mounted antennas. If you check the logs for some of the ARRL's DX phone contests during the years for 2001-2003, under my call, you will see the results of using this antenna, a D3W, and a 150 foot wire loop, but keep in mind that I am not a very good contester. I rated this antenna a five because of its versatilty, construction is outstanding, and in my opinion, performance is very good for a trap dipole.

Jim/AB4D