Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-3000M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-3000M
Yaesu FT-3000M Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: High Powered VHF FM Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft3000m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-3000M.

HA7WX Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Synthezer noise?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well this transceiver is very pleasant to listen to, and that's great to be able to RX everything between 110 and 470 Mhz. Also, i like the little extra pwr (mine's got 69W measured on professional equipment). Selectivity and sensitivity are average (my FT 1500M is better for example).
This one has an issue however: we are not able to figure out me and my tech friend of mine what can produce some kind of synthezer noise on transmit (can be heard as some engine noise while keying without talking as told by some ham fellows on the other side, btw i use it at home, no one other of my TX does it, so fault is in the TX itself).
Can anyone of you help? We have no repair manual, which would be helpful... you can find me on qrz site.
Other than that, it's a nice rig, it deserves 4.5, could have been perfect if it had been a real 2 bander.

G6URM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 03:48 Send this review to a friend
exellent   Time owned: more than 12 months
had one of these for years - must be at least 15 now and its still doing service here in the shack - hi power is usefull - menues a lot easier than some of the modern ones ( read the manual ) - would i buy another ? yes if i could find one - they as rare as hens teeth - build like a brick outhouse and great audio

if you see one - GRAB IT !!

N8FZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Unique 2M Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the FT-3000 as a travel radio when I am not driving my primary vehicle. The FT 3000 has all the features I need for that. 70W TX and wide RX including aircraft. UHF TX would be better but in my area I really don't use 70cm that much.

Since this rig is out of production it's getting hard to find, but if you were to stumble across a "low mileage" one, I would recommend it as a starter or backup rig.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2010 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great on satellites  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these rigs a couple of weeks ago in a trade, used it for a weekend, and ended up trading it away. Might buy it back from the friend I traded it too because I liked it that much.

The thing that impressed me about it was how well it heard the FM satellites. It blew my FT857D away on receiving SO50 and AO27 on 70cm, and that isn't even its main band. Also, it sure is nice to have 70 watts on 2m.

So why the 4? The memory programming on it is kind of quirky, but it did get the job done. Still, it isn't set up near as well as current rigs for programming and such. Somehow one of the memories kept getting written to the VFO frequency when using it in memory mode. Never did figure out why.

Overall, a pretty good rig if you don't need to transmit on 70cm. Will do 1 way repeat from UHF to 2m also, so it will get you into the 2m repeater if you can hear the repeater directly.

KD0EXI Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2008 08:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find this to be a great radio, like the 70 watts Tx power, easy to program, I gave the rating due to the ease of use and power sound in great, use the loke to hold freq,

KC0LRM Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2008 20:04 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great rig. It does have some programming issues, but I believe those are due to when it was produced. I love this radio and love the features. Definitely a keeper in my book.

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2007 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FT-3000M Mobile Rig for more than 8 years with light use, but very reliable.
It provides more than enough power for 2 meters -using an Astron 20 amp power supply and Diamond SG7900A mobile antenna. While these are now mostly available used, I would like to find another one if this one finally goes to join the choir of angels.

N7EFA Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2007 21:49 Send this review to a friend
a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
this ft3000m was hard for me to lurn how to operate but when i got out the book and realey read it, it turn out not hard at all, all and all it's a real good rig,... 70 watts yes thats a lot for two metters but it's there if you need it ,yes i would get a nother one if i find one....n7efa

KF4QED Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2006 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Freq hops on key-down  Time owned: more than 12 months
Frequency changes when keying down the hand-mic can be eliminated by taking the cover off the mic and cleaning the mic switch with tuner/contact cleaner.

KC0NOX Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2006 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Some good, some ???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought at hamfest for reasonable price in good condition. Wanted home-use 2m with wide receive and the cross-band repeat.

Repeating set-up reasonably easy, but had a few reports of intermittent re-transmission (lowest power, CTCSS protected). Good audio quality in / out.

The bizarre:
When switching to VFO from a memory, ALL the information is transferred: tones, alpha tag, etc. If you want to dial around the band, you must go into the menu to cancel the tones. If you don't want the alpha tag to display (regardless of the VFO frequency displayed), you must go into the menu to change that - otherwise, it's easy to think you're monitoring a memory freq.

If you swap a memory channel into the sub-band, it comes back into the main band as a VFO frequency - instead of the memory. Rotate the dial and the frequency changes from the memory, rather than scrolling memory channels.

The Dual Watch & Priority are almost identical in function, except that DW checks every second, and PRI every 5 seconds. You can't use these in combination with each other or any scanning mode.

SmartSearch only scrolls through limits one time. How many repeaters, or other frequencies, are you going to find in a single 30 second search?

Has anyone tried the RT Systems' ADMS software for programming?