Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-3000M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-3000M
Yaesu FT-3000M Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: High Powered VHF FM Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft3000m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-3000M.

KC2JRI Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2005 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Tx Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Occasionally, the frequency jumps downward by 5khz when I key the mike. Further key-ups result in more 5khz downward jumps???? Also, the volume control is noisy. Anyone know a fix for these problems?

W7KID Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2004 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 2M Rig & 440RX & Cross Band to boot  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had 2 of these radios and they're great. The only problem I've ever had with either one of them, and it may be an easy fix, is on the one I currently have it doesn't beep when putting in the frequency from the keypad. Which is something I noticed on an earlier review, someone saying that it doesn't do direct entry. It does indeed do direct entry. You just need to change the "remote" setting in the menu to "mic". (one of those things I admit I actually read the manual, hihi)

I'm pretty impressed with the wide range coverage as well. 110-174, 300-520, and 800-999.

I've seen these go for anywhere from low $100 to $200, and depending on condition I think it's an excellent buy.

73, Ken
W7KID

VE3TMT Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2004 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pros:

Wide band receive, including AM air traffic
Good loud audio
Very nice display
Excellent for scanning usage

Cons:

Tuning knob is too easily bumped, causing the radio to switch VFO's
Susceptible to RF from HF rig sitting next to it (causes the 3000 to key up, no other 2m rig I've owned ever had this problem)
No direct freq entry from the mic pad
CTCSS decode is optional - it should be included standard

Other that that I find the radio to be a good value, get great audio reports and it sure does look good in the shack.

Max

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2003 20:29 Send this review to a friend
This one's a "sleeper"!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 5 years and it just works, for me. I have a dual bander in my wife's car, but 99% of my non-HF time is on 2M. The 3000 has never missed a beat, I use to programming software to manage the memories and would recommend that to anyone looking at any of the new radios, HT or mobile. Big display, good feel on the knobs, making operation in the dark manageable. Obviously it's a keeper for me and I think a sleeper on the cost to value area. I don't know why anybody needs the full 70watts on FM 2M...but it's there is you need to cook some hotdogs, or your brain I usually run it at 35 watts or less and I've found that if it doesn't get full quieting at 35watts...it won't get it at 70 watts...but driving up to the top of the hill has dramatic effect!

W5ZZQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2003 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one great radio. Have had several over the years and not one problem with any of them. Am really glad I found this one now that they are discontinued. Wish I had another new one. I love the twin fans - really cools the thing in long QSo's. Built like a tank.

K1ACK Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2002 23:12 Send this review to a friend
I have 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked it so much I bought 2!
Then again I semm to do that with a lot of radios....too many! I love the organge display, menu is a bit tedious until you get used to it, but then again what new radio isnt. I think it was a little ahead of its time, and was a bit pricey (until the $199 closeout at AES) 70 Memories (mem scan is a little slow, but ok for my local 10 or so channels), 800 receive is good (have an FT-90 thats not great on 800, and FT-100 thats DEAF on 800).Direct frequency entry by the mic ( might have to go to menu 47 and turn it on) DTMF decode, discovered this when digits went across the display! Its basically a 70 watt FT-50R (never have used it at 70, 50 is fine). I got the voice recorder board, used it twice, not worth the $47 if you ask me. One bummer is the $47 CTCSS decode board. Also no "issues" that I know of, like they have with newer radios (aka FT-7100) So if you dont need tx on 440mhz, this makes for a nice radio.

W0NXN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2002 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Good, high powered workhorse 2 m. rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months

I bought the Yaesu FT-3000M mail order about 3 years ago. My primary reason for buying it was the fact that it had wide-band receive coverage and especially because it had DCS in addition to CTCSS. Most of the local emergency services in my county use DCS, and, as an Emergency Management volunteer I do quite a bit of monitoring and needed DCS capability. The radio has been a work horse and has never experienced any problems that required warranty or other repair.

Receive sensitivity is good, especially within the ham bands, but out-of-band too. I have gotten good reports on transmitted audio. There are four power levels from the highest, 75 watts, which can put a simplex signal nearly anywhere in the county, down to about 10 watts for local or repeater comms. Full power generally is best achieved with the engine running. Otherwise transmitted power is probably a few watts less. The menu system for setting transceiver parameters is OK, I guess. I felt that there might have been some way to make it a little easier to access and use, but there are a lot of parameters that can be set, so Yaesu can be forgiven for the few complications. Once you learn to use it, it's pretty simple.

The advertised extended-transmit mod is easy and works well. It is available from other sources.

On the 800 MHz. band, there is a certain amount of intermod, especially when I drive within about half a mile of a cellular transmission tower. As long as you use CTCSS or DCS this doesn't bother much. But if you had to operate using carrier squelch, it would be very annoying during urban driving. In defense of Yaesu, I have to say that I have seen very few radios that are truly immune to this sort of interference. Some intermod is occasionally experienced on other bands, but this generally hasn't been a problem.

This is an excellent 2 meter radio, especially if you need some power to conduct simplex communications with other mobiles some distance away. If you consistently use repeaters, you may not need such high power. What would have made this radio complete would have been transmit coverage of 440-450 MHz. A dual-bander with these characteristics would have been just about perfect. The FT-7100 was supposed to have been that radio, but, upon reading the reviews of the 7100 on this website, I find that it is not really the dual-band version of the FT-3000. Anyone interested in a dual-band version of the FT-3000 should read the reviews of the 7100 before purchasing one. As a 2 meter radio, the FT-3000 has just about all the features I want in a transceiver.

K2XH Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2002 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the tx audio and power, the manual as with most of the radios with all kinds of features that I never use is confusing. I suspect they are translated from japanese instead of written in english. I must agree that the large knob feels a bit flimsy. And why can't they include decode board for the high price? Anyway I think the radios performance both on rx and tx overcomes these minor faults.

VK2TLC Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2002 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Good radio - Easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the wide receiver coverage. I do find that not having 70cm TX is annoying sometimes. The display is easy to read while mobile. The menu system is not a problem if you set it up before you go driving.
TX coverage can be opened to 140 - 174 by cutting the wire under the speaker.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2002 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Flawed Diamond  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the FT-3000M mainly for the 70w capability, and it proved useful on more than one occasion. The rig was fully loaded and all options worked superbly well, it had great immunity to pagers and above average intermod performance. The menu system took a little while to become familiar with and once mastered was a breeze to operate. Frequency coverage was 108Mhz to 999Mhz with gaps, cellular frequencies were wisely permanently disabled. Audio quality with the DTMF mic was described as being between good and excellent, RX audio was adequate for mobile use being very clear. I never had reports of noise on the transmitted signal when the dual cooling fans were whirring away as some reviewers have reported. The Smart Search was very useful when passing through cities capturing signals both weak and strong. The weak signal handling was excellent and the 70cm band, RX only, exhibited good sensitivity matching dedicated rigs. I always thought it a terrible mistake that Yaesu didn't include 70cm TX, with the FT-7100M they have done exactly that but foolishly moved away from dual fan cooling and 70w out on 2 Metres. Why can't these engineers give us what we want instead of falling short one way or the other, but I suppose the chief design engineer is Mr. Economics.