Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Watson Power-Mite 20A Switch Mode Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Watson Power-Mite 20A Switch Mode Power Supply
Watson Power-Mite 20A Switch Mode Power Supply Reviews: 12 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $49 (GBP)
Description: AC switch mode 20A variable 11 - 15V power supply. Suitable for shack, portable or travel use.

You can write your own review of the Watson Power-Mite 20A Switch Mode Power Supply.

G0APM Rating: 0/5 Sep 4, 2012 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Went bang, then gave off a pong.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought, what a good idea to get a small lightweight and portable PSU for general use and also easy to carry if portable etc.

Good job I gave it a good testing before using it in anger. I suppose it lasted all of half hour. There was a bang then an awful pong.

Only advantage was that it was easy to put back in the box due to its small and lightweight construction.

G0KYA Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2010 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad little PSU - but that fan!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a neat little PSU, with Voltage and Current meters, It was able to drive my Icom IC756 Pro3 to 100W with no problems.

However .... within 10s of switching on the radio on RX the fan cut in at full blast and stayed on. It is very loud and obtrusive and you can't really live with it to be honest.

I did some checks and the IC756 draws about 1.5A on receive. The exhaust temperature (air out of the fan) was a fairly constant 32 degrees C, so not excessive.

An email to the distributor confirmed that this is normal behaviour. It is good value, but there are quieter models on the market.

2E1VAR Rating: 2/5 Mar 20, 2010 04:23 Send this review to a friend
Cheap !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Annoying !
Runs mt IC746 fine but how loud is the fan ! So loud I have to put the supply on the floor and it still annoys me. Having the meters was nice for a budget supply, I thought. What's the point if it's on the floor and you can't see 'em !

G4DJC Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 06:01 Send this review to a friend
works ok for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these units prior to seeing the adverse comments on here so I was a bit apprehensive for a while. However, when it arrived, using it with my FT897D into a dummy load I tested it on SSB ( 100W full power"whistle test" for about 1hr to get the fan to cut in) as well as AM & FM with no trips or on/off problems so not sure why so many bad reports on here as it powers my rig & works as it should, so either I've been lucky or others just plain unlucky.Check out the BHI price on E-bay. 73 Dick g4djc

G1PIE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2009 08:35 Send this review to a friend
no probs now  Time owned: more than 12 months
after earlier report it was the power lead to the radio that was causing voltage drop at the radio now no problems and very quiet fan...

G7IGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2009 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Good value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Watson Power-Mite from a local amateur and it's one of the best SMPS units I've owned. I've never had any problems where the unit trips out and it's very stable, even when running 100W output on my Yaesu FT-450. The usual RFI or 'hash' is produced on 80m, but it's much better than other 'switch mode' units that I've used. It's certainly good value for money on the second hand market and ideal for portable work.

G7TPL Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
switch-issue switchmode  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
runs my FT857 with no trip problems, but I have had to replace the power switch.

G1PIE Rating: 1/5 Jun 1, 2008 05:03 Send this review to a friend
waste of money  Time owned: more than 12 months
wont provide enough amps for my 706g time to get a new none swich mode....

G4GOY Rating: 1/5 Nov 16, 2007 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this model of PSU before to power an IC-703 and had no problems with it. However, I have just bought an FT920 and thought I would try with this PSU again (new purchase). On switch on, the PSU tripped out and despite numerous resets, I could not get it to power the rig. The radio shop sent me a replacement and exactly the same thing happened!! I have returned them and have bought a Samlec 1223 instead - no problems with this PSU

EI2JC Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2007 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine for Me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these to power an Icom 706 MKII G which I use at a /P location.I was attracted by the small size and price.Its parked beside the 706,I don't get any noticeable RF hash and the fan noise is not obtrusive.
I will admit it doesn't get 'pounded' for hours on end,just moderate use but for the job I wanted it for it works fine and is good value.