Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | LDG RCA-14 Breakout Box Help

Reviews Summary for LDG RCA-14 Breakout Box
LDG RCA-14 Breakout Box Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $59
Description: The RCA-14 is a breakout box (Din to RCA) for the DIN accessory or DIN data jacks on most popular transceivers. It comes with Five (5) cables with the right DIN plugs and all the box outputs are simple RCA jacks. Plug the RCA-14 into your radio's accessory DIN or data DIN jack and all of your ports are right at your finger tips. Just plug and play, one function or all of them, makes no difference. And, you can changes things around as often as you like; it's as simple as swapping out an RCA plug.

The RCA-14 comes with a DIN-13, DIN-8, DIN-7, Mini DIN-8 and Mini DIN-6 cables. The DIN 13 cable breaks out the functions to RCA jacks 1 - 13, while the mini DIN 6 goes to RCA 1 - 6, and the mini DIN 8 goes to RCA 7 - 14. You can use either the DIN 13 or the mini DIN 6 and/or 8, depending on your radio.

Compatible with these radios and many more: Icom: 703, 706, 718, 746, 756, 7000 and 7800. Yaesu: 817, 857, 897, and 840. Kenwood: 480, 570, and 2000. Ten Ten Orion and Orion II.

Two Year LDG Warranty
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/products.php?cID=6&pID=21&v=1

You can write your own review of the LDG RCA-14 Breakout Box.

WA5RR Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Winner for Sure!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these simple interface boxes at a hamfest years ago after tiring of trying to solder my own interface cables. For a reasonable price, you get the box and every cable you could ever need.

It has been used with an Icom IC-756ProIII, Kenwood TS-2000, and soon to be used with my Kenwood TS-480. You can use it for non-ham applications as well. No wonder this great device has a 5.0 rating!

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2008 04:00 Send this review to a friend
Found A Market Niche! Nice Piece of Gear!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine to allow me to access the connectors on my Kenwood TS2000X - soldering up DIN leads was always a pet hate of mine - for audio use! Mini-DIN leads - well, I think the moderator would take my posting off if I was honest, and would ban me forever!

If you have to access Mini-DIN outputs this is the simplest way to go about it - OK; it's not a small box - but, it's better than tearing your hair out making a break-out box and Mini-DIN plugs.
Richard G8ITB

K0WA Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2006 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Needed Product - Fits a Niche  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The RCA-14 works quite well. I just installed the unit and it worked flawlessly. I had to make new connections for my interface, but going to RCA connectors made life simpler. Now, I can make an FSK keyer and connect it to the right pin easily on the 756PROII using a simple RCA connector...while keeping my AFSK connections for PSK31. The case is metal and has a nice paint job that should last forever. It has two "ears" with a hole in each ear for screwing the unit to the wall or under the desk. The manual is clear and concise with pictures. All cables are included. The RCA Jacks look to be of good quality. Good product. Now you don't have to mess with small 8 pin DIN connectors. Yea!!!

K5AGO Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2006 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I usually build my own interface cables from scratch but the LDG RCA-14 interested me with its compactness and flexibility. It is a good deal for the price, very well constructed and can be installed and online in 5 minutes or less. It is also refreshing to find a peripheral where you are not required to spend extra $$ to purchase an interface cable to mate the unit to your rig. Cables for popular transceivers are provided.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2006 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Taming the raging DIN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product can go a long way toward solving a current practical problem for many hams. As radios become more digital in circuit design, manufacturers must build into them more I/O jacks each containing a larger number of pins for signals. Since transceiver chasses are also becoming smaller over time, the only practical way to do this is to use miniaturized multi-pin jacks, such as the DIN-13, mini-DIN-8, and mini-DIN-6 now in common use worldwide. This shifts the burden of building I/O cables using the matching DIN plugs onto the Amateur. And that creates a problem: what are the practical limits of the typical ham's ability to work with these small plugs to build the I/O cables needed for his station?

In my own experience, with no finely developed personal construction skills but using hand tools intended for work on small parts, I can successfully build working cables that use full-sized DIN and similar plugs. I have even successfully built a cable with the crowded DIN-13 plug, although it wasn't easy and the result wasn't a thing of beauty. Other Amateurs may well not be able to do as much, a quite understandable situation.

However, I have my doubts that any but a very few hams could build cables successfully with the mini-DIN plugs. I would not even want to try. Hence the introduction of this new product, which makes possible the electrical substitution by individual "RCA jacks" on the interface box for individual pins in the DIN jacks on the radio. The basic assumption is that anyone can solder an RCA plug to the end of a piece of audio coaxial cable to make an interface I/O cable. Thus, using the LDG "RCA-14" product, a DIN-13 jack on the radio is transformed, pin for pin, into 13 individual RCA jacks on the interface box. A similar situation results for the other supported DIN jacks. Individual ham-constructed I/O cables terminated in RCA plugs then connect the interface box extension of the radio to the outside world. Most of the problem is solved.

When I unpacked the product I found two nice surprises that were not described in the advertising literature. LDG has included two extra radio-to-interface box cables in addition to the three advertized ones: the DIN-13, mini-DIN-8, and mini-DIN-6. The extras have full-sized DIN-8 and DIN-7 plugs on the radio side and DIN-13 plugs on the interface box end. Since I have Kenwood radios (a TS-480SAT is using this new box) these two extra cables are not needed, but they should be useful for ICOM and Yaesu products. The second surprise was the discovery that the productís interior circuit wiring between the DIN input jacks and RCA output jacks consists of a single sturdy glass epoxy PC board, rather than individual point-to-point wire conductors.

The overall build quality of this entirely passive I/O cable interface is much more than adequate. The five radio-to-interface box cables that are supplied have molded connectors, and they also seem amply made. All interface cables are three feet in length. No additional RCA plugs or bulk coaxial cable are included with the product. The mini-DIN-6 and mini-DIN-8 interfaces may be used simultaneously, and that is needed for the TS-480SAT. Mobile use of the product is supported, but the RCA-14 is not weatherproof and is not intended for unprotected outdoor use.

This should be a trouble-free product destined to give years of service in a variety of situations. The bug-a-boo of home construction of radio I/O cables with miniature DIN plugs has now ended!

AA6A Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2006 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what I've been looking for!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is exactly what I've needed for several years!!!

The LDG box is a very well made passive direct pass through Breakbout box. It permits simple access via RCA Jacks to all those tiny pins in those pain in the you know what DIN connectors. At last, it's a breeze to connect your rig to your PC soundcard or any other device.

I've got a Kenwood TS-480 and I've never found an easy method to make the connection from the TS-480's mini-DIN 6 pin jack to the PC's soundboard for the various Digital Modes supported by the TS-480. Unlike various other rigs the Kenwood TS-480 requires no isolation, nor other special interface nor rigblaster type device to connect to your PC.

This LDG unit includes all the DIN cables I'll ever need for connecting my TS-480 data port to the PC, and it's also ready to go with the TS-2000 or other rigs. It will be a blessing to use for field days or multi rig use events.

Very 73,