Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Hy-Gain VB-64DX Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain VB-64DX
Hy-Gain VB-64DX Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $145
Description: The VB-64DX features a concept in beam construction that provides actual delivered performance equalling maximum theoretical gain. The 4-element VB-64DX generates an impressive 8.2 dBd gain.
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=VB-64DX

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain VB-64DX.

KB3LFD Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2007 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up since 05. It has
weathered some very bad storms here in Ne Pa
and come through fine. I have it mounted on
stand-off's at the peak of the house roof at
about 40 foot. Worked the Canary Islands with it
this past June. I also have a hy-gain vb-66dx (6elm)which i plan on putting up on a tower in
the future. I bought my antenna's when they were
still Hy-Gain, and well made. Since Hy-Gain fell
into the clutches of MFJ i think the quality has
gone down drasticly. MFJ's q/c is all to well
known! If you can find a pre-MFJ antenna, it
should be a good choice to get on 6 meters. There are at least three vb-64dx's in my area and none have given any trouble at all.

Doug KB3LFD

K0TVD Rating: 1/5 Mar 21, 2007 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Not like those made in Lincoln  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've always loved HyGain antenna's and products. Living in the Midwest, not too far to their old assembly plant in Lincoln, Nebraska was nice. I got to visit their facility on many occasions so when I decided to get back into 6 meters, after a long absence, I immediately thought of putting up a HyGain 6M antenna, so I called Jim Smith at Burghardt's and he sent me one right down.

The antenna LOOKED just like the ones made in Lincoln so I proceeded with the assembly and installation. Many small parts and lots of measurements and adjustments later, I had the beam mounted atop my 100ft tower. The antenna performed as I expected a 4el beam to perform. SWR was reasonable.....for awhile.

Here on the plains of Western Iowa, we get frequent high winds and many storms. One day, I decided to get on 6 meters and make some contacts and my SWR was way out of whack. I went out back to the tower and saw that half of one of the elements was totally MISSING! I found it out in the corn field a little ways from my tower.

Unfortunately, after dropping the antenna down and replacing the element with one I had on-hand, we reinstalled it only to have a different element break off a couple weeks later! All in all, I lost 4 half elements in less than 6 months. We yanked it down, boxed it up and off it went back to Burghardt's! What a wonderful company! Jim credited me the full price towards a new 5 element M2 6M5X beam, which I installed in the spring. What a difference! The M2 antenna has been up for 4 years now and performs flawlessly!

Sorry MFJ. Your QC on your antennas just isn't what it was when HyGain was in Lincoln, Nebraska.

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2006 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the VB-64DX for 5 years at two different QTHs and it had preformed as advertised. Gain is what you would expect for a 4-element yagi. At 40+ feet it lets me work with the bid-boy DXers. I have earned 6M VUCC with it (115 grids 15 countries)...it works.