Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting Help

Reviews Summary for W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting
W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting Reviews: 125 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Description: Plans, installs, maintains, and repairs amateur radio antennas, towers, rotators and related cabling. Also paints rusting towers and performs Insurance Estimates. Nearly 50 years of amateur radio experience. Will provide service anywhere worldwide, with clients in the USA, Carribean, and South America. Member of the CQ Contest "Hall of Fame". Supports towers 20' to over 200', for Big Gun DXers, Contesters, and Little Pistols. Supports all types of antennas and towers. No task too small, no project too large. Reasonable rates. Contact John directly for a consultation and estimate. John Crovelli W2GD/P40W w2gd@hotmail.com 908-391-5611 (c)

You can write your own review of the W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting.

WA2DFP Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
100% FB!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The time came to replace my 20+ year-old TA-33M, but my time to climb ladders has passed. Based on recommendations on this site I contacted John W2GD about the job. He strongly urged me to stay away from lossy trap antennas with limited power-handling ability and to use full-sized elements. The new Force-12 XR3 fits the requirements and the constraints of my location. It is designed, though, for installation in "freespace" such as on a tower at least 30' tall and away from a house. My need was for 25' above ground, only 6' above my roof, which changes the impedance match. John helped me work with the folks at Force 12 to develop the needed element length adjustments. He and Bill W2RQ expertly took down the old, rung up the new (including a heavy-duty balun), and tuned the elements. My amplifier and I are very pleased with the professional quality of the result. Calling John would be my first step, not just in doing any future antenna work, but in planning the project.

N3EON Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2014 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Another Great Job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a repeat customer simply because John knows his stuff and with his able assistant Bill, can handle any job, big or small. They will not leave until everything is operational and the customer is completely satisfied. John's extensive knowledge and skill set in all facets of antenna and tower design and installation are readily apparent as they perform their magic. I've relied on John's recommendation for a beam and his responsiveness and support following a lightning strike have been invaluable. I will continue to use John for my antenna needs and I give him my full endorsement.

W2NLS Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Just The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John and Bill just finished assembling a new Force 12 XR5-T-C beam and placing it atop my 50-ft Hygain tower (first removing my 35 year-old TH5 DX). Everything that they did was impeccable and quality work. Beyond that, John's customer support was fantastic. When they found the antenna had been delivered with a few parts damaged by UPS (and I could go on for about twenty pages about UPS...) they did all the work for me with Force 12's customer support. They took pictures, sent them to F12 and were back on site here the day after the parts were delivered. The antenna analyzer they carry with them was put to great use during the final assembly and tuning. The beam in most phone portions has such low SWR that my Icom 7600's internal meter reads unity! I would not hesitate to seek John's help again. I'd rate him 12 out of 10!

W1GD Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Inststallers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John, W2GD, & Bill, W2RQ, drove up to Jefferson, MA to put up the tower they took down for me last year. John and provided me a reasonable time and cost estimate for the job. It was not only reasonable but accurate. I've used John & Bill before and the continue to do a great job in a very professional manner.

WA2PJI Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John and his partner Bill visited my QTH to inspect and service my tower, and to replace my old HAM-IV rotator. They demonstrated great skill, patience and knowledge, which was clearly evident in their approach to my job. And, on top of all this, they are a pleasure to deal with and come at a very reasonable price. My tower never looked so good! I highly recommend them for your tower and antenna work.

NW3Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Tower and Antenna Installers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W2GD just finished my 90' tower upgrade: installed 22' mast, Bencher Skyhawk, F12 Delta 240 (3rd Gen Tornado coils!!), M2 Rotator and upgraded the tower guying system. John's expertise and experience were evident and necessary throughout the process from design to install. I intend to ask him to do any further work here.

K3PH Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Always Excellent Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used John for all my tower work for quite a few years.

Today, I learned that I can add diagnostic ability to his list of skills. We had John over here today for repairs to a Bencher Skyhawk installation, where we noticed SWR issues (looked like something breaking down with power -- at almost 1500 watts on RTTY). I was sure it was the balun breaking down and was all set to replace it. Before we replaced anything, John indicated we should test everything first (he carries a small 50-ohm dummy load to test things at the top of the tower, as well as an antenna analyzer). Well, sure enough, it wasn't the balun at all! The problem was the three-year-old coax that was running up the tower! I never expected that!

Excellent work at reasonable rates -- you can't go wrong!

K3NUI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2014 09:07 Send this review to a friend
super job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
john and his partner bill w2rq did such a great job in installing my hex beam,they did such a great professional installation...PLEASE USE john for any antenna and tower needs,you will not be sorry!!! his charge for the job was very very reasonable...thanks again john and bill...k3nui..john del villano..broomall,pa.

WJ2V Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2014 14:48 Send this review to a friend
A real pro  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My XYL has laid down the law. No more roof climbing. So, I hired John to repair and maintain my old Th3-MKII beam and rotator. Project took a full day to bring the beam back into full function. John is, of course, much more skilled than I am, so the end result was far better than I could have done myself. I fully expect the beam will continue to work well for many months to come, and when it needs attention in the future, I will know who to call. Fair pricing too. Thanks John and Bill.

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Not just for Big Guns  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím just a little pistol with a very modest setup. A US Tower MA40 telescoping mast, rotator base unit, and a 2 element SteppIR yagi. I toyed with the idea of doing everything myself but having read the reviews of John Crovelli W2GDís installation services I knew I would benefit greatly from his experience. How can you not. John has hands-on familiarity with every type of tower, every type of antenna, and every type of rotator. I e-mailed John at the design and planning stage and he provided excellent advice on component selection. Many months later after parts had arrived and the snow had melted John reviewed photos of all my components and scheduled an installation date. I had done pre-assembly work which John carefully reviewed and amended before beginning work.

The actual installation was smooth and fast. Little glitches arenít a problem because heís seen them all before. Tips that I would never have thought of were quickly implemented to protect against Mother Nature and insure equipment longevity. It was a great experience.

I wish I was a big gun so that I could have John install a few more towers for me. I highly recommend Johnís services. His rates are extremely fair and reasonable. He is a true professional. Feel free to contact me with any questions.