Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting Help

Reviews Summary for W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting
W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting Reviews: 133 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Description: Plans, installs, maintains, and repairs amateur radio antennas, towers, rotators and related cabling. Also paints rusting towers and performs Insurance Estimates. Nearly 50 years of amateur radio experience. Will provide service anywhere worldwide, with clients in the USA, Carribean, and South America. Member of the CQ Contest "Hall of Fame". Supports towers 20' to over 200', for Big Gun DXers, Contesters, and Little Pistols. Supports all types of antennas and towers. No task too small, no project too large. Reasonable rates. Contact John directly for a consultation and estimate. John Crovelli W2GD/P40W 908-391-5611 (c)

You can write your own review of the W2GD Antenna & Tower Installation, Repair, Painting.

K2EQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2015 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Great job, great guys!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found John and Bill delightful down to earth folks and a pleasure to work with. The work was done (installing a 50 foot tower with Force 12 beam, VHF/UHF antenna and OCF dipole offset from tower) very professionally, very safely and very timely. Almost as important as the work John did on site, was his meticulous help to me with making sure I purchased the correct materials. Even with that, the Rohn tower did not fit together properly and John had to become an instant mechanical engineer. And then Force 12 'forgot' to put the balun in the box even though the shipping label said it was in there, so John improvised with an instant home made balun. Awesome work, Awesome service, Awesome guys!!
WX3G Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Job As Usual   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In an earlier review for John's service 7 years ago, I indicated that I would most certainly and without any hesitation rehire John and his assistant Bill once I upgrade from my TH2 to a better antenna around the sunspot peak (plus/minus a few years). Well, I did just that this September as it was time to retire the TH2 and move on to something a bit more sophisticated. John and Bill arrived promptly on the day of installation and went right to work dismantling the TH2 from a Rohn HBX tower, and beginning the task assembling a brand new Force 12 XR3 that I bought from a fellow ham at a reduced cost. Unfortunately a few of the tubular sections were missing as I had not inspected the contents of the box which had arrived a few weeks earlier. John immediately put in a call to Force 12 and made arrangements with them to fabricate and ship the missing sections to my house the next day by overnight mail. The package arrived on time by 10:00 AM the next morning and John and Bill were able to complete the installation by early afternoon, with the antenna exhibiting the quoted broadband specifications. John also served as the honest broker in suggesting how the additional costs of the missing sections and expedited shipping might be partitioned among the seller and myself. The actions John took to complete this project on time using his extensive connections in the ham community are extremely commendable, along with the quality of his work, attention to detail, and absolutely pleasant attitude. For the second time in the past 8 years I STRONGLY recommend W2GD antenna installation service if you are looking for a job to be done right the first time and at a reasonable price. Thank you John and Bill for your excellent service!
AJ2I Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John and Bill did an excellent job on my hexbeam! They arrived on time and completed all the tasks as promised. John suggested Unistrut for attic bracing for my Glen Martin tower with lag bolts. VERY strong! I felt very confident throughout the install that it would go properly and smoothly, which they certainly did. Bill and John are a great team and I highly recommend their services.
N3ZC Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2015 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Job as Always  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 3-El SteppIR was having issues. High SWR everywhere. I contacted John and he suggested giving SteppIR Support a call as far as eliminating the SDA-100 Controller, cables, etc, I figured out the Driven Element was not moving, broken shaft (older model motors). I decided to replace all 3 motors while the antenna was down on the ground. I contacted John and he fit me into his booked up schedule. I also figured I'd put up a 2M Beam (M2 17 Element beam) He put that up too. Him and his helper took care of everything. They did a neat job, showed up at the time planned, and took about the time he said. He also "Pre-Lubed" my tower cable, checked everything with a once-over, made sure everything was taped-up, etc. I've used him several times before, and always with the same result, a great job at a reasonable price. Hire John, no need to look anywhere else!
WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Job All Around  Time owned: months
I needed to have a balun and coax replaced on my tower. I contacted John and his response was prompt. The scheduled day had temperatures in the low 30's. That did not deter John He arrived and did his work in a professional manner. If it was a warmer day I would have fired up the grill and cracked a few open with him. He was that much fun to have around. Call him if you need tower service you will not be dissapointed.
KT0F Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Over the top, best of the best!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't say enough about John, W2GD and his excellent skill. John had been responding to my e-mails on and off for the past 3 years as we decided the install at my location. It is important to note that John works on 'little pistol' stations like mine as well as the big multi multis, which is fantastic. The first thing that you notice about John is that he likes to answer yes when asked about projects. His can do attitude is manifest in every action that he emulates.

Our project involved a roof mounted tower and Force 12 beam antenna. Through many challenges (outside temperature upon his arrival = 1 degree and that is not a misprint) John reacted as a true professional crafting the necessary assemblies to create an awesome, finished product.

His consult after the project has not deprecated. His rates, disclosures and recommendations are honest and resemble experience hard to eclipse.

At the end of the day, you only need to make one call, and that is to John, W2GD.

Thanks to John, I'll see you all on the air...a little louder than before!!

K3SX Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and Professional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fresh from the contest at P40W John arrived at my home and in a matter of a few hours he and his helper took down my ancient tribander, helped me finish building my new Tennadyne T6 and installed it and a 5 element 6 meter beam. Everything was done with his deliberate way of first being safe and second doing the job correctly. No shortcuts.
I have used John's services in the past and he continues to deliver!
KB3Z Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2014 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Job Well Done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Due to the ice storm we had this past winter I lost my K4KIO Hexbeam (Buy the Ice Supports). I was looking at various antennas to choose from. I have done business with John before and he made his recommendations.

I chose a Force 12 XR6 and a Force 12 Delta 140 40 Meter Rotatable Dipole. I talked with John and he gave me an estimate for assembling and installing both antennas. Both he and Bill came and it took two days to do the total job.

I did have some SWR problems with the 40 meter dipole. But it was not due to an interaction with the XR6. It eventually came down to replacing the RG-213U coax from the dipole to the DX Engineering switch that John installed.

John is very fair in his pricing and he does the job right the first time. And if there are problems he stands by you through thick and thin. Thanks again John, and I'm sure the next antenna project I have, I will call John Crovelli. Mark Griffin, KB3Z
K2MIT Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2014 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Great advice, great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John is full of great advice, is an excellent antenna builder and installer. He put up my SteppIR 3 Element with 30/40 add-on kit in 2 days in a tricky roof-top configuration (not his design--mine).

He is efficient, careful and does an excellent job. His hourly rate was very reasonable.
WA2DFP Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
100% FB!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The time came to replace my 20+ year-old TA-33M, but my time to climb ladders has passed. Based on recommendations on this site I contacted John W2GD about the job. He strongly urged me to stay away from lossy trap antennas with limited power-handling ability and to use full-sized elements. The new Force-12 XR3 fits the requirements and the constraints of my location. It is designed, though, for installation in "freespace" such as on a tower at least 30' tall and away from a house. My need was for 25' above ground, only 6' above my roof, which changes the impedance match. John helped me work with the folks at Force 12 to develop the needed element length adjustments. He and Bill W2RQ expertly took down the old, rung up the new (including a heavy-duty balun), and tuned the elements. My amplifier and I are very pleased with the professional quality of the result. Calling John would be my first step, not just in doing any future antenna work, but in planning the project.