Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play
West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $MSRP $99.95 + shipping
Description: Built-in USB interface provides rig control, CW keying plus carrier detect for Echolink operations. The plug & play works only with a radio's data or aux jacks, not a mic jack and may be orered for your particular radio.
More info: http://westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play.

N6CAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and simple setup  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first device for HF digital modes and has been a solid interface. Things to note are compatibility with your rig and cable length limitations in my experience.
I used this with Icom 756Pro, Icom 756 ProII and Icom 7000 rigs. Never had a problem with connections, except with the 7000. It gets a bit tricky because the direct connection to the 8-pin data jack on the 7000 will not transmit tones as advertised. I had to make an adapter to use the 13-pin ACC jack, and then it was fine. (You can also purchase this adapter from WMR.) The problem is that the IC-7000 will disable the tx audio lines if the rig is keyed by the CI-V commands.

The distance between rig and PC are limited. While you can extend the USB cable, the audio in/out to the PC sound card would also have to be extended. This may not be an issue for many, but it was in my setup.

CI-V control was a big selling point on this for me. Other interfaces don't include this and for the price it is nice to have.

On the air it was flawless, but does complicate your PC sound setup. I utilized a built-in PC sound card and had issues with input names and levels changing. I also had a separate sound card for normal Windows use. This was more of a PC/Windows issue than a RIGblaster one, but worth noting if you're not a PC guru. Once sorted, it is nice to not have to fiddle with level settings and have no extra box taking up space.

W4TJW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Great once going  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this fine accessory. I used to use an AMI 2 by Ilinkboards with many cables and rs232. Now I have a smaller interface that works well wirh my laptop and my FT-897 (not D). I bought the separate CAT cable from WMR online. It took some coaching from the super helpful people in customer support at West Mountain Radio. Using Digipan, and Ham Radio Deluxe, I can easily control my radio with the computer and communicate with digital mode software. Very cool.

The only rub, the CAT cable was around $9, but the shipping was $13!!!!! Why? Very small cable.

All in all, i am happy with my purchase.

73 all.

KT4DLB Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I first got the plug n play the problems with the product was brought on by myself. Since I have took care of my problems the plug n play works just as advertised and it is well worth the money spent for it. I use it for cw work and it performs wonderfully. I also use it for PSK31 and again it performs wonderfully. Also I must say that West Mountain Radio support team are great. I dealt with Sholto and his information and help was always right on the money.

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2013 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome interface  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Rigblaster Plug-n-Play is an awesome interface. I use one with my Icom 746 Pro, the thing I love most about it is that it is only one cable that plugs into the radio and I don't need to mess around with any other audio/mic cables.. changing stuff around, etc. It just works. I was up and running in 15 minutes.

KB7QDI Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2012 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Worked right out of the box  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works perfectly between my Yaesu FT-897D and my HP/Compaq 8710p laptop. Literally took me only 15 minutes from nothing to working PSK. I use HRD/DM780 exclusively.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2011 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Comment about the short USB cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The USB cable from the little red box to the computer is rather short. On my laptop, it put a bind/strain on the blue and green cables to the mic and headphone jacks. I have an 18 inch extension USB cable that came with something else and use it on the end of the USB cable to the laptop. No problems and works fine for me. So far so good, I still recommend this product to anyone especially newcomers like myself.

KJ6BBS Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Simply Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked right out of the box. Plugged it all in, gave PSK31 and RTTY a try right off the bat, and made several contacts within 15 minutes. I am running Windows 7, and the drivers were simple to install. Because this product gave me the best Ham radio experience so far, I am giving it rave reviews! Be sure to read the manual!!!

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2011 06:40 Send this review to a friend
9 on a scale of 10  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it yesterday via UPS and ignored my wife trying to get me to go to bed by 1 am as I was receiving and xmitting psk31 mode with my 817nd and RigBlaster PnP and having a whale of a time. Driver install was a bit cumbersome on my XP laptop. Audio and USB cables should be longer on the RigBlaster. Looking forward to loading it up on my Ubuntu laptop. Using HRD and Digipan on the XP. I looked at the other RigBlaster products and this one seemed to be the one I wanted and needed and I believe I made the right decision. Software CD is loaded with lots of extras, too. Again, I read all the eham reviews before I made my purchase; helped me tremendously to make my decision.

FORMER_NN6Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave it a five because it works without problems on my HP laptop with Windows XP Home, SP2. HRD connects right up, but that's the only control software I use. Just follow the instructions exactly when installing.

WM9V Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2010 14:59 Send this review to a friend
still a nice product  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought the plug and play and the rig blaster pro
they generally do what they are advertised to do
the plug and play would be my recommendation
its small and comes with the cables and is good for a laptop
the website has all the drivers
be warned that interfacing radios these days is not
for the faint hearted
if you have trouble with your west mountain product you will have to pay to have the interface returned for service after the initial warranty period, they were hard and fast on that
i solved all my own problems but im used to that
best thing is to find someone who has this stuff setup and get with them on the problems you are having
the products from west mountain are nicely made and reasonably priced
warranty support is not what it could be
these products are definitely not for entry level skill sets